I'm hard of speaking

The OP's post said Oct 7th 2011.

Edit. Ack! So it is only 2 days. I am sorry, Botti and Jaspheth. Thousands of 'pardon me'! My mind is not right today. :(

Lordy no need to apologize! :giggle:

Speaking of the troll picture. No, it isn't so cute with those black eyes. Anything with solid black eyes scares me. I cannot even look at people with black eyes. My mother sadly had black eyes and when she'd get angry...good god, you'd think a demon was screaming at you! Same with horror movies..."the grudge" the black eyes and the black hollow mouth....I had to cover my eyes and I'm almost 30. Heh...

If the troll had blue eyes...it'd be more approachable.

oh my god. so cute that I want to feed him

Don't feed him! He'll nest within the walls of your home, eating it from the inside out, and still demand all the people and aminal food you own!:lol:

Before you bring up an old thread, check the date. It is last year. :wave:

You went to the future?!:eek3: I am not worthy! I am not worthy!:bowdown::laugh2:

(Yeah... I'm in a fun mood right now...)

You went to the future?!:eek3: I am not worthy! I am not worthy!:bowdown::laugh2:

(Yeah... I'm in a fun mood right now...)

Yeah...Yeah... I must have been thinking about that 2012 DVD. I bought some used DVDs and almost bought the 2012 DVD. Oh well, at least you are having fun. Har de har! :)

I am sorry to hear of the difficulties you've had with your voice. My question to you is one of curiosity. Why are you here? This appears to be your first post and I'm the nice one here so I'll just let you know before the others jump on you. You put a bad foot forward buddy....

now, with that said I'm also going to assume you are in the medical field or just know medical terms really well. I was a pre-med student many years ago but dropped out after my mother died to tend to my family among other things and the average person doesn't know or are not familiar with the terms you've used. You appear from your post to be of above average intelligence but are lacking in one area but what that is I'm sure the others will point out to you.

For one using the word garbled was rather insulting but that is besides the besides the point.

I do understand your fusteration in regards to being unable to communicate with the Deaf woman you came in contact with but it is not impossible to communicate with "one of us" as you put it. You can use the pen/paper route if you cannot use your voice. Not all of us use ASL so this lady may not even know ASL and that is another assumption that you've made about us.

As for Deaf culture why we have our culture and others don't as far as I'm concerned is the fact that we have our own language. Our own unique language with it's own unique syntax and structure although Deaf Culture is more than just the language. It's a why of life at least for me.

Maybe you didn't mean to come off as you did and I'm willing to keep an open mind and with that said, welcome to alldeaf................not.

Trust me, my speech is garbled. Honestly, I was just plain frustrated because no-one (hearing, deaf, etc.)can understand me, apparently severely so, because to people with normal hearing, it's undetectable unless I'm in an absolutely quiet room. I should bring my pen/paper more often, it's just that I often don't have anymore space in my jacket pockets.

I was just looking for advice (and my comment was just a factual observation, no insults intended), because there's almost no online support for those with vocal issues, so I said to myself "well, deaf people also have trouble communicating with those that are hearing, so maybe I can get some ideas to help me out until I get my larynx fixed."

Also, I'm an immunology BSc student, and I hope to go to medical or dental school after I graduate. I also hang out with a lot of doctors and other health professionals; my mom is a nurse.

I have an extremely frustrating life, because I can't express myself. You can do that.

Oh, and it's extremely insulting to call my problem fictional. Extremely.

I have an extremely frustrating life, because I can't express myself. You can do that.

Oh, and it's extremely insulting to call my problem fictional. Extremely.

:(
Waaaaaaa! My life is so terrible!

I love how you com on here, and the very first statement you make not only serves to point out how rude you think Deaf people are, but then to challenge the existence of a culture. If you're here to talk to people with similar communication experiences, then do that. But do not think that you can get on here and tell us that we are rude, and force us to take on a label of disability just because you do. You mentioned that the Deaf woman was rude to you, and that she didn't accommodate you. But did YOU even consider getting the pen and paper? Why was that her responsibility and not yours? Communication is a two way activity. It also seems to me that speaking to you was very accommodating of her, especially considering that I guarantee you're not the first person to ever turn their nose up at the voice of someone who may have never heard it in her life.

The big problem for me was that, in the original post, you referred to the deaf person's speech as "garbled speech that's even more slurred than my dysarthric speech" - not your own. I felt it was an insulting description at the best of times but especially in a forum such as AD.

Proto...

Your response to me was not typically normal of someone who would be truly hurt and or offended by the response he/she has received if they were being honest. The structure of your paragraph indicate your thought patterns are and were deceptive. You explained too much, used too many ( tangnets that really would not be there if you were being honest ). Also the first thing you said was " trust me " which is common in someone who is trying to gain trust, rapport with someone they are lying to. Are you aware that I have a B.S in criminal justice geared towards criminal psychology?

c'mon. We're not as dumb as you think.

In any case that I'm wrong I do offer my sincere apologies.........

Last edited:
Back