If your family is hearing do they sign?

my mom and my brother and my sister learn to signs
my dad didn't learn to sign cuz he was so busy traveling on business when i was kid

My parents took signing classes at my elementary which I was enrolled in since preschool so I was able to communicate with them in signs. They struggled to understand me sometime when I got too flighty in ASL when I was younger.
But now I can put efforts in communicating with them-- via using SEE/PSE (they still don't understand how ASL is different than English), homesigns or voicing while signing. I do understand where their level is so I can slow down for them instead of forcing them to understand me at my higher level. I care more about communication than being fluent.

My parents never learned to sign. They often tell me to wait until they are done talking to other people then tell me what its about, I would be left out and bored out of my mind, when they are done, they would tell me in few words like "we are talking about soccer" instead of telling me in details. I asked my mom million times why didnt she learn to sign? She said I dont know, I will learn I promise, but she never did.

exacty like my mom ! but she can sign very little like english not ASL but mostly said I dont know ! blah same what you said :) even my 2nd sister who is bitchy refused tell me what they said she is snob! .

one of my cousin can fingerspelling but not all of them that is all

my youngest sister only too fast fingerspelling which I couldnt understand lol but use my voice to talk lol :lol:

my 3rd sister not sign at all just small like mom wants you, no yes, something like that. And rest of all my family are not using ASL so we use our voice to talk so I can understand :) if not understand then use pen and paper to write it down :)

No one in my family signs except my sister(she learned as an adult on her own just because she wanted to). My parents and siblings used to sign with me when I was little, but we didn't grow up doing it. I used to hear pretty good with my hearing aid but now it's getting worse. :( I lip read a lot too. My mom is the one who taught me how to sign at 2yrs old, and then I started in a class with deaf and hard of hearing children too. After that, I was never around them much, I got put into hearing classes and have hung out with hearing people since. I honestly don't think my parents did anything wrong with their parenting with me. :)

By the way, I didn't learn ASL, I learned ESL, which I'm thankful for because it teaches better english than asl does imo. Nothing against asl signers.

I am hoh, wears hearing aids, and first english, my parents send me to Oral school for Deaf in Pittsburgh, that school made deaf kids to learn to speak and lipread, no sign language. Which it is good experiences, and ALL of my family doesn't sign to me, they talk to me, and my husband doesn't sign, and we talks, and I go to work at the government, all of my co-workers talks to me. I just learned to use sign language when I was 16 years old, kind of late bloomer...

Thanks, gnulinuxman! And I agree with you completely. Exposure to sign and orallanguage is the best of both worlds. Either/or shouldn't be an issue. One method does not automatically exclude the other--it's the attitudes that are exclusive. Like deafdyke always says: full toolbox!

Gosh, how familiar is that story?

My parents never learned to sign. They often tell me to wait until they are done talking to other people then tell me what its about, I would be left out and bored out of my mind, when they are done, they would tell me in few words like "we are talking about soccer" instead of telling me in details. QUOTE]

My family never signed. I was #2 of 6 kids, only one hoh. Mum always said I have to live in the real world, so that's it. Never learned anything or met anyone else who was deaf/hoh.

My wife (hearing) and I learned to finger spell ourselves a few years ago ,but never got very fluent. It was a fantastic way to communicate in noisy places if we were any distance apart - mind you, everyone else would stare!

I don't necessarily think it was poor parenting. Mum did have a point about the everyday world, but like most people with no disabilities, she couldn't understand (or wouldn't, more likely) our world and thought she was doing the best thing in her intentions.

I think it is important, particularly with children to be exposed to deaf lifestyle and culture, so we can cross both boundaries with relative ease.

I am seeing all to often where deaf people raised by hearing families have families who do not sign. I do not understand this at all. How could you have a deaf child and not learn sign? That's just bad parenting. Please tell me yes or no and leave any comments you would like.

Note to mods can you please make this a yes or no poll. Thank you.

I am lucky to have my family whom I can communicate no problem except for my dad and oldest brother (he left home when he was 16 to attend college that was when I became deaf). My dad took sign language class but he only learn few signs and fingerspelling. Just alike u can not teach old dog a new trick, it goes same with my dad. My mom and my three sisters, they all learned sign language. One of them became vr for the deaf short time and my mother was head of deaf program at trade school where she trained many deaf adults and got them jobs. My other sister was rn nurse so she used to sign to one of her patient. My other brother did learn sign and communicate with me no problem but I have not spend much time with him so he forgot some. No big deal.

My family don"t sign my little brother do know sign I been not see him for a long time but he still remeber some sign
I can talk really good and l i can read lips

when i have family togother we talk some of them i don't understand what they say i always ask my mom what they she say oh i forget right now i don't ask anymore cuz they always say i forgot.

one time i was so mad at my mom . All my family know one of my uncle is coming home from war...

when i saw him he hug me and i say MOM why don't you tell me he coming my mom say ohh i forgot i told her yeah right . I talk to her everyday and she did not tell me that he come home . My mom know i was not too happy and my brother was like I am mad . and he say it big deal I told him of fine if someone did not tell u that your girlfreind is is here without u know how u feel he say nothing

No, my family are not bad parenting. They just don't have time to take a sign lang class. They do know only lil bit but they sign very slow hard to remember in each word, it won't be easy for them.

My dad didn't have time to learn sign lang becuz he was an owner always busy at work.

My mom worked only p/t, so she did have time to take a sign lang class at my oral school. In that year I was a college student before that time there was no sign lang class not even, book. But the problem is she was over 50's it was too difficult for her age at that time. After she gave up, she realized that speaking has more language than she signed.

So, I shouldn't have plm communicating with my family becuz I am hoh a lot of easier for parents to understand me. Many times, I interpreted for my deaf friends between talking to hearing parents n' anyone else

My parents knew sign language. My dad is now starting to forget cuz he spent a lot of times working at the hospital. Of course my dear mom spent stayin' home with children. They had nine children. My first 3 oldest brothers did not know much of sign language. My eldest brother is about 20 yrs older than I. He passed away and of course we didn't get to know each other. (I was bummed about that). And all of my sisters know sign language. We were all so close to each other. and my youngest brother knows sign language very well. Because he is deaf.

I feel so blessed that most of my siblings and my parents know sign language. But it is not always perfect when they don't know all ASL. They know pretty much of intialized sign language. But as long as they know sign language and respect me who I am, then its all good.

My parent arent good sign lang at all but my mom is okay sign lang basic at home and my father is nothing at all as mom alway interpreter for me to father. I have a oldest four brothers and one sister all of them mostly at basic sign lang. at home but my young sister pretty good well sign lang and everyone thought she is deaf but not.. I have a brother deaf. I am used that with them sign lang as I have a no plm at all. :) Everyone in the world are different and no prefect!

My hearing family does not know how to sign but my parents want to learn! :dance2: :h5:

my parents dont sign at all, they just scream at me all the time. My mom and me were learning together in the morning when I was in 7th grade but she had to stop because my sister left her kid with my mom and then I had to teach my mom. my mom got so feed up with how I corrected her that she personally quit. I am the only deaf one in my family and so I have to voice in my family or I am bound to get whacked for not voicing because I signed and not say what I was signing. My mom thinks that everytime I sign its bad language so that why I get hit. Other than that, I am only allowd to sign when I am with my deaf friends. I really am upset that I have to voice with my family all the time.
:pissed: :tears: :cry:

my mom signs my dad knows a few my mom's parents and my aunt and cousins on her side try to write and include me in conversation. My dad's side says hi and then they ignore me like i'm an outcast.

My one year younger sister is the one in the family who can sign. I still miss her terrible... :(

During childhood, they got her to translate for them to me. It´s sad that they don´t have time to learn to know me but got her to translate for me. For them, my sister is an automaut... :(

At my sister´s cremation of last May 2006, my Dad told me himself that he regretted for not learn to know me and have no good patience with me and told me story when he and mom found out that I´m deaf when I was one year old. Dad suggested my mom to go evening class to learn sign but the doctor told my mom that I should learn to speak and read lips. My Dad began to learn BSL fingerspelling from me and my sister when we are 9 and 8 years old but he use BSL fingerspelling too slowly...

After my sister´s cremation, my siblings began to learn sign.... They regretted to depend her all the time for me... It´s hurt.

I envied most of my friends´s parents who learn to know their children and sign for them... It shows how much they want to learn for them...

I'm hard of hearing, but I talk around the family... I don't think sign language ever entered their minds, except for my mother. She said she regrets not learning any. I'm just now learning how to sign, although I feel like I should have for years.

i am only one deaf in family so my mom is very good signs... i dont have no plms.. so most time i speak with voice with my hearing family and sometime i cant talk hard words then write down..

Back