If you were to translate ASL and BSL word by word to English...

UK'er

Reaction score
If you were to translate ASL and BSL word by word to English literally, would this "English" language be the exact the same in ASL and BSL in terms of grammar and sentence structure?

ASL and English have completely different syntax, grammer and sentence structure

i.e ASL: Apples, I eat, past.

if you were to literally translate this into English, it's not the same as one would say in english which would be "I ate apples."

don't know about BSL though.

Do some reading on ASL and you'll understand why people always say ASL and English are NOT the same language.

ASL and English have completely different syntax, grammer and sentence structure

i.e ASL: Apples, I eat, past.

if you were to literally translate this into English, it's not the same as one would say in english which would be "I ate apples."

don't know about BSL though.

Do some reading on ASL and you'll understand why people always say ASL and English are NOT the same language.

No, I meant if you were to literally translate ASL and BSL into English, would the result be same?

I think op ask, if we use English words translate ASL verbatim to New Language A "apple I eat past", and do same BSL translate New Language B, are New Language A and B same? I not know BSL structure/syntax so can't answer.

No, I meant if you were to literally translate ASL and BSL into English, would the result be same?

Sorry, i'm not understanding your question. I've demonstrated to you that if you were to translate ASL literally into english, the result would not be the same.

Sorry, i'm not understanding your question. I've demonstrated to you that if you were to translate ASL literally into english, the result would not be the same.

But would result be same result translate BSL direct English?

Sunny signs cleared that up. That's what I was looking for.

I think the OP is wondering if BSL and ASL share the same or similar grammar, syntax, structure and differ from each other only in vocabulary. (that is, he or she is not comparing English to either, just using English as something they each could be translated into and used as a common denominator)

Wirelessly posted (BB Curve 9300)

There is no such thing as a direct sign-to-word translation of ASL to English. Either that would be a gloss transliteration or it would have to be translated to English which means it would NOT be word-for-sign.

I forgot the magic word, "Transliteration".

I think the OP is wondering if BSL and ASL share the same or similar grammar, syntax, structure and differ from each other only in vocabulary. (that is, he or she is not comparing English to either, just using English as something they each could be translated into and used as a common denominator)

Yes. BSL's grammar, syntax and structure are also very different from English. That's why I asked this question. I know ASL are also very different from English too.

It would be the same language, perhaps - but a lot of meaning would be lost, you would at best retain only the most basic concepts you are communicating - with none of the nunances or subtleties.

An example in the reverse would perhaps be signed english - without any facial expression, rhythm, or body language.

I'm no expert, but for simple sentences, probably the same. It's hard to say "I ate apples" in any other way. However, for more complicated sentences, doubtful that the end result would be the same. Concept would more likely be the same.

Same thing for any two 2 languages translated into a 3rd language.

Back