If you could go back in time and talk to your younger self...

If I could go back in time, I would tell myself to be more courageous and not to worry about what people thought of me. I was very timid as a child and tried far too hard to please people around me, and continued to do this into adulthood. This meant I made major decisions in my life that were about pleasing others at a big cost to myself. I would have told myself that being brave isn't not feeling fear, but feeling fear and still doing the right thing as opposed to the least scary option.

enjoy your horses you have them you basically have them stolen by your aunt q

keep lily for fcuk sake

Perhaps I would have told myself...."gear up...you've got a long and hard way to go." My childhood was quite pitiful (sorry to say that)...I grew up very fast.

You know, that is really interesting because the thread that spawned this one is all about making sure our children are aware of what faces them in life and providing them with the skills they will need to face it with courage and success.

Off topic. This is related to the preparing children for transition thread. That is why it was stated "12 year old".

BTW, I don't think anything stops DeafCaroline from doing what she wants to do.

I never saw the original thread - just this one.

My mother went back to university at age 46 and got her second degree. I have other plans for my future. I'm very much into advocacy for wildlife and the environment and I want to volunteer in outreach programs for the deaf in South Africa and in Cambodia.

I had been staying in Quebec for the past 20 years so my kids would grow up with their father in the same city. It was really important to me that my children has us both around growing up. My ex and I separated when they were very young.

Quebec is french and although I can read and write French, I can't speak nor understand it and it's mandatory to be bilingual to work in Quebec.

So, I've been waiting a long time to do what I want to do for myself. Having my own company kept me afloat but it's not what I want to do forever.

Just have to wait until my boys are grown up and off to college. My youngest will be 18 next year. So, in one year from now, I will be able to go away for long periods of time and I'm looking forward to it. I have a lot of dreams waiting to come true.

I have a friend who has been wanting me to help him establish deaf schools in Liberia. Life gets in the way ... so I understand what you are saying. I just do what I can and hope it is enough.

My serious answer to what I would tell myself at 12 years old? Do unto others before they do unto you. Its a dog eat dog world, unfortunately.

I have a friend who has been wanting me to help him establish deaf schools in Liberia. Life gets in the way ... so I understand what you are saying. I just do what I can and hope it is enough.

My serious answer to what I would tell myself at 12 years old? Do unto others before they do unto you. Its a dog eat dog world, unfortunately.

I find it unbelievably sad that you would seriously believe that is a piece of advice a 12 year old needs to be prepared to live in this world.

I find it unbelievably sad that you would seriously believe that is a piece of advice a 12 year old needs to be prepared to live in this world.

He who has the gold rules.

trust me, I coulda handled it then. I wouldn't tell that to any 12 year old - I thought we were discussing what we would tell ourselves. That little tidbit of wisdom would have helped me out tremendously.

If I could go back into time to my past child self, I would tell myself that I am a beautiful girl, don't listen to kids making fun of my hearing and not to hide or be ashamed of it. To focus more on school and go through college, figure out my dreams and to believe in myself more.

And to eat better... to stay away from pizza every weekend :D

got lots of this, one at 5, at 12, at 17, at 18, at 20, and at 30

too many regrets and wrong ideas on how to survive the world and wrong ideas on what is right for me...was fatherless, went to school in other town daily, was kept home at all time at weekends, i hated it, and the one big thing i wished i really did, was to NOT conform to speech - seriously the family had it easy like if they got sick of it they'd go and ignore while i still fall behind in everything not just school, i mean EVERYTHING that Hearing people esp hearing children takes for GRANTED...thats means Everything we know and do which 'makes up an individual in a hearing world' sic, that was torture.

Wirelessly posted (BB Curve 9300)

No advice from 60-year-old me for 12-year-old me because 12-year-old me would ignore 60-year-old me.

Wirelessly posted (BB Curve 9300)

No advice from 60-year-old me for 12-year-old me because 12-year-old me would ignore 60-year-old me.

I feel the same way. I ignored my grandfather's career advice, so it is likely I would ignore my own advice to buy certain stocks. :P

I would tell younger me to learn ASL ahead of time, or not to touch any thing designed by Mike Wood ever.

I'd tell myself to be a stronger woman, not to put up with anyone's bullshit, and not to go on any dating websites! I'd also tell myself that I'm beautiful and to keep riding the horses, stay in CA for college instead of going all the way to NY.

How much time would I have? I never did get around to setting up an identity verification process until I was much older (I've got a password encoded in a manner that I would recognize), so I likely would end up ignoring my advice, but there's a number of things I'd do.

If I was short on time, I'd remind myself to keep taking the ADD drugs I had and not to get myself kicked out of my first high school, since that was a major mistake, and then hand myself a printout of the story "Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality" (hopefully it will have been finished by then) since I think that might have helped steer me in the right direction from an earlier date.

If I had more time on that, I'd give a list of stock prices and dates, usable to convince my parents, and have them buy massive shares of several stocks, so that I was filthy rich, lol. (In seriousness, I'm not certain if I'd do that or not, since the resulting person would be vastly different from who I am now.)

If I had a long period of time (a year or more) then I would personally tutor myself, on every imaginable subject, so that I would know then what I know now. Since I know myself, I'm pretty sure I could figure out a way to teach myself, and likely at a far more accelerated rate than I learned in school.

:wave::hmm: I re-placed this answer from the discrimination thread...

Wow, Caroline's question....

response: love yourself, see yourself as whole ALREADY, even if you don't know it. There is always a new day where things can change.

:ty:for reading and another great thread!

below part from LadySolitary's post:
"If I could go back into time to my past child self, I would tell myself that I am a beautiful girl, don't listen to kids making fun of my hearing and not to hide or be ashamed of it"
endquote

I put that since I wanted to reply - LS, you are beautiful....no shame...love yourself:hug:

If I could go back in time and tell my younger self anything, I would tell me, "be proud of who you are, do not let anyone tell you that you are less because of who you are. Learn ASL, do not let mom and dad tell you you cant. Let people see your hearing aids, get involved in the Deaf Community, get the school to give you an interpreter, or better yet, go to a Deaf School. Your hearing will get much worse, but do not let that get you down, you will become a better person for it. Do not try those drugs, It doesn't matter how bad things get, don't try them. and please, please, please tell someone what is going on at home, it will make your life much easier to get out of that situation. Stay young at heart, stay strong, make wise decisions... oh and credit cards to not mean free money, its just money that is more expensive in the long run. Stay strong little me, life gets better"

I would had told myself to find some better parents!! When I was little girl I use to tell my mother "not to worry , my other mother will help" I thought there HAD to be someone else to take care of me!!

Back