If You Are Deaf, Please Answer Regardless Of What Your Friends Think...

If you are deaf, would you consider having a cochlear implant?

• No, I don't want to take a chance; No, I may lose all my deaf friends

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
deafdyke said:
I noticed you're in Turkey. If they have the body worn aids, try them BEFORE opting for CI.
Thanks.. I have so many problems with my current hearing aid. I cannot clearly understand poeple's speech. Voices are like very distorted sounds. I think There isn't any body worn aid in Turkey. I will try new digital hearing aids and if they don't help me much then I'll consider CI. I know that CI is for THE WORST CASE.

pek1 said:
If you are deaf/Deaf and had the opportunity to have a cochlear implant, knowing everything you need to know about it, would you do it? If yes, why? If not, why not?

I noticed that each answer will be recorded. If this is not feasible for you, feel free to pm me, I will not reveal who you are to anyone.
I've had one opportunity to get a cochlear implant when I was about 9. Three of my close friends have had it. I think I posted about two years ago that a friend of mine got the operation and one side of his face was temporarily paralyzed. However, my mom found out it's not a hundred percent and all that, and blatantly refused. Another reason is how come my friends' speech seemed odd. They could hear so many sounds, but the speech was a setback. I don't think so.

I just found out that last year at the audiologist, that my hearing has decreased. I'm profoundly deaf by the way. The reason for that is beceause I'm supposed to be wearing two hearing aids, and just wearing one made the feed sound decrease for some reason. I think when I'm a bit older, probably around in my thirties, I'll get the cochlear implant.

If I could, I would vote "no"

I already have the CI -- in fact, two of them. The recent one (24 channel) was implanted almost 3 years ago, in a way I wish I didn't get it done.

I find myself not using the CI as much anymore. The only reason I would keep coming back to it is to listen to music.

It does peeve me that those who are just losing their hearing are opting for the implant. I'm sorry, but that's just ridiculous. Try a hearing aid first, for gawdsake!

I was a youngun' getting the CI so I didn't really have much choice back then. First I was tried with hearing aides which did not do wonders for me whatsoever, then I was fitted with the CI. I don't regret that. It did help me in some ways. But now as a twenty-something I am more involved (well, I do have a love and hate relationship with both hearing and deaf worlds to be honest), and am finding more comfort in communicating in ASL.

Recently, I did a short video for the doctor who implanted my first CI -- he was trying to get China to set up a clinic for monochannel implants (FDA banned those in USA) and wanted to show that I'm a walking talking CI user *rolls eyes* Well mom did the questioning.. such as: "If a person is deaf, would you recommend the CI?" -- "ABSOLUTELY not. I believe every individual has the right to choose after extensive research and thinking. If they must "hear" -- get the hearing aids first. Anything other than the CI. If all else fails, and the individual still wants it, then go ahead. But I won't recommend it." *barks* Mom was a bit dazed I was like that. Sorry, I kinda got tired of the doctors, clinics viewing me as the "successful girl with the CI" the CI being the main headline. Ugh.

Ya know what..

I'll be honest with ya'll... I have been a hearing aid user almost all my life.. (Since the age of 2) And about 3 months ago I got my CI and almost 2 months ago I got it activated. - Well truth to be told - I REALLY dont see a difference between the hearing aid or CI - they both are auditory helpers that helps us to hear. Now I "WILL" say this - my case may be unusual but it has helped me out tremendously at work - I am now able to do teleconference calls *which i have NEVER been able to do before*, I am able to keep up in meetings (so now I dont have to worry about the last minute interpreter). It has somewhat been a blessing - but of course after living in silence most of my life, when I get home I do take it off. But now I am getting more opportunities at work only because now I am able to keep up better. SAD but true - we - the deaf community do get discriminated silently. But for some people it is acceptable for them, but it all depends on the person on how high they want to go. I admit the first few weeks i have been fustrated with the CI cuz I felt like it was like a hearing aid and I wasnt catching things - but then I think it is because I was trying TOOO hard, so I quit thinking about it so much and let it come to me and that is when things started sounding clearer. "Funny - my wife said to me last night - Ya know at times I do wish you didn't get the CI cuz now I can't talk about you behind your back anymore" *She was beign scarcastic - but she was merely pointing out it was because I was catching her conversations from when she was downstairs on the phone and I was upstairs on the computer. *

Now for the person's choice in CI - it is all depends on the person and what they want to achieve. I want to climb up and I have a glass ceiling and I feel with this CI it will remove that glass ceiling for me - (I may be dreaming but only time will tell)

DefLord said:
Ya know what..

I'll be honest with ya'll... I have been a hearing aid user almost all my life.. (Since the age of 2) And about 3 months ago I got my CI and almost 2 months ago I got it activated. - Well truth to be told - I REALLY dont see a difference between the hearing aid or CI - they both are auditory helpers that helps us to hear. Now I "WILL" say this - my case may be unusual but it has helped me out tremendously at work - I am now able to do teleconference calls *which i have NEVER been able to do before*, I am able to keep up in meetings (so now I dont have to worry about the last minute interpreter). It has somewhat been a blessing - but of course after living in silence most of my life, when I get home I do take it off. But now I am getting more opportunities at work only because now I am able to keep up better. SAD but true - we - the deaf community do get discriminated silently. But for some people it is acceptable for them, but it all depends on the person on how high they want to go. I admit the first few weeks i have been fustrated with the CI cuz I felt like it was like a hearing aid and I wasnt catching things - but then I think it is because I was trying TOOO hard, so I quit thinking about it so much and let it come to me and that is when things started sounding clearer. "Funny - my wife said to me last night - Ya know at times I do wish you didn't get the CI cuz now I can't talk about you behind your back anymore" *She was beign scarcastic - but she was merely pointing out it was because I was catching her conversations from when she was downstairs on the phone and I was upstairs on the computer. *

Now for the person's choice in CI - it is all depends on the person and what they want to achieve. I want to climb up and I have a glass ceiling and I feel with this CI it will remove that glass ceiling for me - (I may be dreaming but only time will tell)

Good For You!!! :thumb:

Back