If there was a magic pill that cure deafness...

So, if there was a pill that could make you deaf, would you take it?

Good question. After some of the experiences I have had in dealing with hearies relating to my deaf son and the students I advocate for, I would certainly consider it. In general, it has been my experience that there is more tolerance for other's differences and genuine attempts to understand those differences than in the hearing world. Deafies, from my experience, anyway, make more of an attempt to be forgiving of hearies' ignorance than hearies of the needs of the deafies.

Plus, having achieved fluency in ASL, communication wouldn't be an issue. I certainly wouldn't be devastated if I were to loose my hearing, because of what I have experienced within the Deaf community. And my house is already equipped with a shake awake alarm, flashing lights on my doorbell and smoke detectors, etc. All I'd need would be VRS!

Would you take it? I know it's not reality and probably will not be for a long time. But I am asking "IF" it exists and that the pill will restore all of it. Will you take it or not? Why or why not?

Ah and of course the pill is without any side effects.

I would take it if it helps me to be hearing so I can be a cop or army which I used to dream to do as a child. As for now I would love to be a Nascar racer since it required hearing racer to race with those spotters and chief on headphone.

Of course deaf can race a car but can't race in 400 plus miles race due to voice commucation is required.

Back