If given the chance to be hearing would you?

no i like being deaf, i like the silence sometimes, if i get a mirage the silence is usually helpful. I can just turn on and off my hearing lol.

I think I would prefer hearing over being completely deaf. Mainly because all there are sounds in this world that are truely part of God's creation. Such as a child laughing, our friends laughing. There are also other sounds, horses neighing. There are other sounds I would choose not to hear, such as the annoying trains. I wear hearing aids so I get the choice to turn them off, but I am not completely deaf.

I am late deaf. No. Why?

My husband would get on my one last nerve with constant chanel surfing
I would hear gossip from biddies
... would hear mean remarks
...would hear evil news
storms at night
neighbors late night parties
sirens
helicopters (we live near hospital and college)
Late night bands after ballgames
motorcycles

What I miss - baby giggles......(sniff) but they are all grown anyway. Grandkids not too close by.

haha thats funny. good point. so ur near shannon hosp right?

I think I would prefer hearing over being completely deaf. Mainly because all there are sounds in this world that are truely part of God's creation. Such as a child laughing, our friends laughing. There are also other sounds, horses neighing. There are other sounds I would choose not to hear, such as the annoying trains. I wear hearing aids so I get the choice to turn them off, but I am not completely deaf.

Amen!

As for me, sure. Why not. It'd be a boon for me to hear the rich intensity of such beautiful and nuanced sounds out there. Music, kids, the crinkling of the leaves, all those I can hear but it's the quality and intensity of the sound that makes it so worthwhile and necessary. Just yesterday I had a piano tuner come in and tune my piano. It was only a year but it had traveled longs distances on two occassions and so the strings are a bit "sour" and even "muted" in some instances. You can hear all the notes but it's doesn't feel "complete" when you play out a piano piece. Once the tuner, who is blind, tuned my piano perfectly the sound became sooo much richer, lively, and broad in sound. It was almost like night and day, not that much but close. It was a major difference and makes my piano playing so much better and enjoyable and I was able to spot slips and mistakes just by listening to my piano playing and correct it as I continue to play. Sometimes people just don't realize how rich sound can be.

As a HOH person, I am kind of stuck between two worlds. The deaf dont really consider me deaf, and hearing dont consider me hearing.

very interesting point indeed. i myself was in limbo so to speak w deaf and hearing world at one time when i was hoh. but i wasnt born hoh.

Amen!

As for me, sure. Why not. It'd be a boon for me to hear the rich intensity of such beautiful and nuanced sounds out there. Music, kids, the crinkling of the leaves, all those I can hear but it's the quality and intensity of the sound that makes it so worthwhile and necessary. Just yesterday I had a piano tuner come in and tune my piano. It was only a year but it had traveled longs distances on two occassions and so the strings are a bit "sour" and even "muted" in some instances. You can hear all the notes but it's doesn't feel "complete" when you play out a piano piece. Once the tuner, who is blind, tuned my piano perfectly the sound became sooo much richer, lively, and broad in sound. It was almost like night and day, not that much but close. It was a major difference and makes my piano playing so much better and enjoyable and I was able to spot slips and mistakes just by listening to my piano playing and correct it as I continue to play. Sometimes people just don't realize how rich sound can be.

ok i agree and somewhat disagree a little here. being late deafened i know very well what you are saying and can remember some of those sounds. but i have played the violin for 18 years. now when i became deaf i quit playing for a while because i was so heartbroken at not being able to hear my self play. now i have learned to "hear" with my fingers and the sensation of vibration. now get this... i can tune my strings w out a tuner or someone who hears. how? i can tune from the tension in my strings, that and after playing the same instrument for so many years, i know it well enough to feel the difference. therefore, i loved to hear adn listen to music, but once one learns how to hear w their scense of touch, its almost the same! at least to me......

I do not think there is anything wrong with asking for that.

I do wonder what it is like to be able to hear.

I do not think there is anything wrong with asking for that.

I do wonder what it is like to be able to hear.

you know i was thinking last night, there are ways to mimic deafness to a hearing person and i wonder if there not someway to mimic hearing to a deaf person. ya know. it was just a thought.

when my kid's whining to me for something that kid wanted so bad that kid knows better that kid can't have one. so i can turn it off after done talking to kid with a good explaination. =X

Actually I do have a switch.. My HA's. Even with them, I can not hear like a hearing person.

i still wear HA even though i dont hear with them cuz when i have them turned all way up i can feel vibration of my environment. it helps me to look up if i "feel" a noise. but mostly i have my service dog Taco for that....

sorry to stray from topic...

yes and no. id love to be hearing if i do have ability to be able to understand everything without ton of training... especially when it comes to communicating with my boyfriend and children...but i love my life as a deaf person. i love the rich deaf culture and everything including beautiful language. so if i can be hearing and still be part of deaf culture then im all for it.

How about hearing that allows me to hear important conversations and good music but blocks out airplanes, crying babies, and noisy motorcycles? :laugh2:

How about hearing that allows me to hear important conversations and good music but blocks out airplanes, crying babies, and noisy motorcycles? :laugh2:

I like listening to the noisy Motorcycles when a gang goes by... Kids love it too.. It does make ya look!

If I had a genie in a bottle I would ask him/she to made me RICH and beautiful and young again! I was told I as hot when I was younger!

Back