If given the chance to be hearing would you?

deafannieboo

Reaction score
im not necessarily talking about ci. lets say a genie in a bottle says i can offer you hearing, u will just wake in the morning and be able to hear all you have to do is accept my offer.... would you accept or no and why?

have fun and think about what being able to hear would be like and if you would choose it. i have a feeling most hoh and late deafened would say yes. im just curious. but the question applies to everyone.

pls keep it friendly guys, thanks!:ty:

im not necessarily talking about ci. lets say a genie in a bottle says i can offer you hearing, u will just wake in the morning and be able to hear all you have to do is accept my offer.... would you accept or no and why?

have fun and think about what being able to hear would be like and if you would choose it. i have a feeling most hoh and late deafened would say yes. im just curious. but the question applies to everyone.

pls keep it friendly guys, thanks!:ty:

Nope. Why would I WANT to be hearing?

Now if the said genie can fix my eating disorder (I only eat when other people eat in front of me, otherwise I just go for days without touching anything) and make it so that I don't find every little bit of sound or light I pick up to be annoying...

:P

Nope. Why would I WANT to be hearing?

Now if the said genie can fix my eating disorder
:P

:lol: amen!!! we could all use a genie for many reasons...

well heres the thing, i am late deafened and cant say that i would take hearing over deaf. there was a time that i would but now i wouldnt. most people who i know that are hearing or hoh say that they cant understand why i say i wouldnt take hearing back if i had the chance. they dont see from my point of view. no i wasnt born like this but i feel that God made me as i am and ive accepted the change in my life. i dont feel that deaf means disabled. many hearies do. to be honest, when i was a hearie i felt as my hoh buddies do. i have lived in both worlds, hearing and deaf. each has its challenges. therefore i am just curious as to other peoples view on the matter... if they had chance to hear would they accept.....:cool2:

My stance? The only good thing hearing has to offer is music. Period. It is the only decent thing going on for hearing people really. Other than that, they often have to tune out all the stuff they don't want to hear. Instead, the hearing folks I am with are constantly complaining about hearing loud noises, annoying noises or whatever sound-related complaints.

My conclusion? I don't see why hearing people complain so much about their environment when they view deafness as a disability. It's backward. You would think after a life-time of complaining about their auditory environment, which seems to be the number one thing they complain about, that they would embrace "silence is golden!"

:)

My main complaints about life? Just how people treat each others in general.

My stance? The only good thing hearing has to offer is music. Period. It is the only decent thing going on for hearing people really. Other than that, they often have to tune out all the stuff they don't want to hear. Instead, the hearing folks I am with are constantly complaining about hearing loud noises, annoying noises or whatever sound-related complaints.

My conclusion? I don't see why hearing people complain so much about their environment when they view deafness as a disability.

:)

My main complaints about life? Just how people treat each others in general.

ok good point. especially about music. i do miss hearing music myself. but that alone would not make me want hearing back.

I am late deaf. No. Why?

My husband would get on my one last nerve with constant chanel surfing
I would hear gossip from biddies
... would hear mean remarks
...would hear evil news
storms at night
neighbors late night parties
sirens
helicopters (we live near hospital and college)
Late night bands after ballgames
motorcycles

What I like most about deafness - ha volume buttons and my ald on and off button. I go from 80/90 percent loss to 100 percent "Pbfffllttt"! no more problems. Next thing is take the has and lda off. I also pay more attention now that I am deaf. I must to read lips, drive, understand surrounding.

What I miss - baby giggles......(sniff) but they are all grown anyway. Grandkids not too close by.

Why would I? Because I want to talk on the phone. Going through ip relay and other stuff always kills a couple hours of my day. Im tired of spending so much time doing simple things.

I am very self concious too... I dont like being HOH but I was born this way so I can't really do much about it. I'm not uppity or think that HOH/Deaf people are something NOT to be, but life is just too hard not to be able to hear.

As a HOH person, I am kind of stuck between two worlds. The deaf dont really consider me deaf, and hearing dont consider me hearing.

I am late deaf. No. Why?

My husband would get on my one last nerve with constant chanel surfing
I would hear gossip from biddies
... would hear mean remarks
...would hear evil news
storms at night
neighbors late night parties
sirens
helicopters (we live near hospital and college)
Late night bands after ballgames
motorcycles

Unfortunately deafness doesn't make us oblivious to the world!

Why change what's been given to me. I really like being able to go to bed in complete silence and waking up with the option of hearing or not.

Honestly?

I really don't know... I really don't.

Right now? I'd say YES, I WANT HEARING!

Why? Because I want to be able to understand my girlfriend more clearly whenever we talk to each other. It frustrates and irritates me when I am unable to understand her clearly.

Then there's jobs. Lately I've been noticing that the moment I mention I am deaf/hard-of-hearing, I seem to be almost immediately dropped, no matter the type of jobs, from the lowest to the highest.

... Really, I don't know if being deaf or hard-of-hearing is actually worth it anymore these days as it seems... I don't know.

But anyways... not to further depress those who read...

I really don't know, as I'm in quite a bind.

If I have been asked that question 20-25 years ago, my answer will probably be yes.

Now I don't for many reasons though I am able to hear some. I do not have hearing aids.

No...not when I have ASL in my life and can communicate with hearing non-signers on a one-on-one basis just fine.

I would rather wish for other things...like for no children to grow up in poverty, pay off debts, and get a huge college fund for my children.

My deafness is not the worst thing in my life. I have other bigger fish to fry.

Back