If a hearing person wanted to be your friend

The 436% figure came from College studies.. That was a quadruple on top of a quadruple on top of a quadruple... three years in a row...

If one student took, then 4 the next, then 16, then 64...

:shock:

So with ASL 2 - I consider them sufficient to be ASL users.

You use ASL, and you're pretty much not even in this data.

I do not consider ASL 2 fluent. I had a student in my ASL 3 class who didn't know the difference between THINK and KNOW...seriously.

More so - Using ASL doesnt mean fluency. Using ASL doesnt mean primary.

Hence 500,000 would only mean 10,000 people in each state knowing ASL.. I can guarantee you way more than that knows ASL.

I don't think you can judge someones ability by what class they took. They may have passed with a D for all you know.

Like I said... some bad teachers neighboring us over here....... ;)

I have seen certified interpreters who sign so poorly that neither the Deaf clients or the hearing understood what was going on. And that is people who have taken 4 ASL classes plus two years of interpreting classes and then pass the test. I think that our standards for interpreters are far too low, and you think less than half of that is fluent? :shock: No way.

I have seen certified interpreters who sign so poorly that neither the Deaf clients or the hearing understood what was going on. And that is people who have taken 4 ASL classes plus two years of interpreting classes and then pass the test. I think that our standards for interpreters are far too low, and you think less than half of that is fluent? :shock: No way.

How is someone a poor interpreter?

All they need is enough basic signs to communicate with the deaf and they can grow from there. They may have a D in their class, but it doesn't mean they can't get involve in the deaf community ... the deaf will correct them alright if they are nice enough.

But whatever you do, don't ask us to be your interpreters if you keep making D's

All they need is enough basic signs to communicate with the deaf and they can grow from there. They may have a D in their class, but it doesn't mean they can't get involve in the deaf community ... the deaf will correct them alright if they are nice enough.

But a D in a couple of ASL classes does not make someone an ASL user. (Oh, and at our school you weren't allowed to move on with a grade lower than a C)

Don't get me started on the interpreting tests.. They plainly suck.

I've seen asl 4 classes with horrible students. Matter of a fact I failed an entire ASL 4 class once.

Regions are different. I'm pretty proud of what ASL 2 classes here are putting out.

Back