If a hearing person wanted to be your friend

Try again...that figure is from research done by Gallaudet.

doesn't mean anything. my best guess is that it's not thorough enough.

oh ok. How come asl is the 3rd most spoken language but i only know of one deaf person. Do most deaf not go to places where most the people are hearing?

Also are interpreters free for the deaf?

well, I don't go to movies because no closed captioning, I don't eat out much because I can't afford it, and becasue grew up without ASL (because I grew up using speech with listening), I don't even like eating out because it is hard to speechread that way ( I use whatever sounds I have with my hearing devices to aid my lipreading ability... I can't hear at all without my hearing aid)

Not sure about other deaf, but you probably don't see them much because of cultural differences between deaf and hearing... like when you go to a shopping mall, they advertised without closed captioning, and little things like that .... Even being cops are trained from a hearing prospective.

also another question, ive noticed that almost everyone is very proper in their writing. Should i type more proper too?

Please do :D

First: ratio of 500,000 people in a population of 310,000,000 is 1 in 620.

I meet people who uses ASL much more than 1:620.

and regards of this
http://research.gallaudet.edu/Publications/ASL_Users.pdf

It says... as of 2005...

What’s in the Recent Literature?
There is no recent research on the extent of ASL use in the United States. Instead,
linguistics researchers have attended to variations among users of ASL (e.g., Lucas, Bayley, &
Valli, 2003) and the differences between ASL and systems of manual or signed communication
(e.g., Schick, 2003; Wilbur, 2003). Also, there have been investigations into the increasing
popularity of ASL courses, especially at the college and university level (e.g., Welles, 2004). As
reviewed above, neither demographers of languages nor demographers of deafness have attended
regularly to the prevalence or distribution of ASL use in the U.S. population.
Nonetheless, recent articles in various peer-reviewed and professional publications, as
well as a few books and monographs, have included some of the same estimates circulating on
the Internet. Many of these print sources do not cite original research. Three examples illustrate
the kinds of repetition and confusion present in the literature. First, take the case of Barnett
(2001, 2002, Barnett & Franks, 1999), who repeatedly cites Lotke (1995). Lotke, a physician,
has neither done research on the prevalence of ASL use nor did he cite any sources when he
asserted that “American Sign Language is the third most used language in the United States after
English and Spanish…. [N]o single Asian language is used as much as ASL” (1995, p. 55). Thisis a case where the repetition of a claim, that ASL is the third most used language, has taken on
the status of fact. In the following sections, we demonstrate that this fact status has two
problems: 1) it is undoubtedly wrong; and 2) it is time bound – the demographics of language
use in the United States has changed since the 1970s, which is when the claim originated.
... that we have 1970's material attributing the 500,000 users...

NOW with the ASL being accepted as foreign language.. classes has exploded for ASL.. They're EVERYWHERE... Grew 436% in 2008.

Yea why would they be nasty. I know matt was just being a smart ass, hes my new friend i made on here today lol.

Because I don't pretend that they are right about everything. I have my own opinions, and refuse to kowtow to them. I don't believe that my opinion is inferior because I am hearing and certainly don't think that hearing parents are evil, lazy and ignorant.

First: ratio of 500,000 people in a population of 310,000,000 is 1 in 620.

I meet people who uses ASL much more than 1:620.

and regards of this
http://research.gallaudet.edu/Publications/ASL_Users.pdf

It says... as of 2005...

... that we have 1970's material attributing the 500,000 users...

NOW with the ASL being accepted as foreign language.. classes has exploded for ASL.. They're EVERYWHERE... Grew 436% in 2008.

I wasn't talking about high school kids who take an ASL class and never use it again. I meant people who use ASL as their primary language.

I wasn't talking about high school kids who take an ASL class and never use it again. I meant people who use ASL as their primary language.

The 436% figure came from College studies.. That was a quadruple on top of a quadruple on top of a quadruple... three years in a row...

If one student took, then 4 the next, then 16, then 64...

:shock:

So with ASL 2 - I consider them sufficient to be ASL users.

You use ASL, and you're pretty much not even in this data.

Back