IEP help

I thought you were mainstreamed? That would mean that you were exposed to spoken language all day everyday.
The problem is that we are getting terrible speech services from the school. The SLP thinks that Miss Kat is doing fine, inspite of the fact that she is not meeting her speech goals. Until this year she was getting 15 minutes a WEEK! She now gets 15 minutes two or three times a week, but she is still focusing on completly inappropriate things. In AVT we are working on hearing the difference between words and phrases (http://www.hearingjourney.com/userfiles/File/lstnglddr03(1).pdf) and the school's SLP is worried about "A says ahhh".

How was I exposed to it when I couldnt hear it? My dB loss was 120 in both ears. I missed out at least 95% of what was said throughout the day..the only time I had full acess to English was during my speech lessons cuz it was on an one-on-one basis or at home with my mom (again..one-on-one)..other than than, I had no language access 95% of the time...either auditorally or visually (since I was denied ASL). Reading gave me access to the English language so it was through print and my speech lessons, I was able to acquire English...not thru the spoken form throughout the day..impossible!).

She is in Kindy so there is very very very little English used in her classroom right now.

It would be the same amount of English used for any kindergarten classroom. You are again, I think, confusing English with spoken language only.

She is in Kindy so there is very very very little English used in her classroom right now.

1st grade and beyond, English will be used a LOT...I write everything on the board for my deaf students and they have to read and tell me what's going on in class...every half hour, I do that.

It would be the same amount of English used for any kindergarten classroom. You are again, I think, confusing English with spoken language only.

No, I mean any English at all. And it is a lot less than an average classroom because all the communication is in ASL, whereas in a typical classroom it would be English. There is some print work, but only a little.

No, I mean any English at all. And it is a lot less than an average classroom because all the communication is in ASL, whereas in a typical classroom it would be English. There is some print work, but only a little.

That's why it is a BiBi program ..in the public schools, it is a mono-language setting. As for bibi programs, that's how they do it in the European countries which is why children grow up being fluent in more than one language.

Print work would be English. And if by "typical"classroom you mean a hearing classroom, communication would be in spoken English because it is a uni-lingual environment. It is uni-lingual because there is no need for information to be presented in a bi-lingual mode. All the students are uni-lingual.

That's why it is a BiBi program ..in the public schools, it is a mono-language setting. As for bibi programs, that's how they do it in the European countries which is why children grow up being fluent in more than one language.

I've got to start reading your posts before I reply!:giggle:

I've got to start reading your posts before I reply!:giggle:

Same here...I guess the misconception here is about kindergarten classes..they are about children's language development and understanding of concepts and how the world works around them and then first grade, it is about acquiring literacy skills and for the BiBi programs whether it is a Deaf or hearing program (in other countries) first grade and beyond is about acquiring the 2nd language.

Same here...I guess the misconception here is about kindergarten classes..they are about children's language development and understanding of concepts and how the world works around them and then first grade, it is about acquiring literacy skills and for the BiBi programs whether it is a Deaf or hearing program (in other countries) first grade and beyond is about acquiring the 2nd language.

Exactly. Unless a child has the conceptual understanding of the symbolic nature of language, they will not be able to develop fluency in any language.

I have heard of parents mainstreaming half the day. I wonder if you may have to seek outside speech and aural support.
Yes, probaly. The research indicates that most orally sucessful kids got the benifit of the private oral programs. Really sucessful oral kids may just be part of the "private school effect." and or the fact that families who are attracted to the AVT methodology may be the type of families where a lot of emphasis is placed on acheivement like it's expected that the kid will go off to an Ivy League College.
Continue with the private AVT. That's prolly the best thing you can do for now.

Here's what I have seen personally from my experience. Once a child is implanted, the school district has increased services for speech therapy- heck even one school district is letting a child use his private Speech Therapist because he iwas just implanted in his other ear and the SLP was the best qualified person to help the student get that ear up to speed. I have to say, family members of mine who were born Deaf (had Deaf family and parents) once they were implanted, they were sent to a mainstream program with sign language services and speech therapy services given. The speech therapy that is given is every day for 45 minute sessions after school- so that there is no pulling out of the classroom, as well as a TOD for 45 minutes every day. Your child may be getting the academic needs met , but not her aural needs- both need to be addressed. You cannot do well with the implant with incidental hearing (like a hearing child).. It requires work and commitmment. A tv is just not good enough, I speak from personal experinece. I had Deaf parents and still was required to go to speech every day until 6th grade because I spoke like a deaf child. Just something to think about.

Why can't you speak while signing to her at home? I can say from personal experience that my father spent a huge proportion of his non working hours at the dining room table with me focusing on language and watching him one on one.

I think he did a good job, but he did it mostly by this one on one focus. The schools have very little to do with my English proficiency.

Here's what I have seen personally from my experience. Once a child is implanted, the school district has increased services for speech therapy- heck even one school district is letting a child use his private Speech Therapist because he iwas just implanted in his other ear and the SLP was the best qualified person to help the student get that ear up to speed. I have to say, family members of mine who were born Deaf (had Deaf family and parents) once they were implanted, they were sent to a mainstream program with sign language services and speech therapy services given. The speech therapy that is given is every day for 45 minute sessions after school- so that there is no pulling out of the classroom, as well as a TOD for 45 minutes every day. Your child may be getting the academic needs met , but not her aural needs- both need to be addressed. You cannot do well with the implant with incidental hearing (like a hearing child).. It requires work and commitmment. A tv is just not good enough, I speak from personal experinece. I had Deaf parents and still was required to go to speech every day until 6th grade because I spoke like a deaf child. Just something to think about.

I want her to succeed with the implant, but I don't want it to cost her happiness. I have no idea how to balance the two needs she has.

Melissa, you are doing a pretty good job right now actually. You just need to supplement the speech that she's getting right now. You have to rememeber that most preschool/kindergarten dhh kids still have significent oral language delays. There is a reason why there are still a lot of oral dhh early childhood education programs still in place. In fact, I think I was still having language therapy in kindergarten. (and I caught up really fast in terms of spoken language, once I got my hearing aids at three.

Hi I've been reading this thread and want to say that if the opportunity is there for a child to learn, the child WILL learn in his own time and his own way. Provide TV, books, sign/voice, whatever is good for the child.

I'm deaf with two hearing children. I'm not the best voice so I leave the TV on often. I keep the kids busy because I lead a busy life--in and out, and about. Some days, I'd say too much TV Some days, not much TV but if no TV, then they've been out and around people who talk. My four year old talks perfectly. I got together recently with a friend from way back when we were kids. She has a five yr old son. She told me that my lil one speaks so much better than her son. I said come on...every kid is different. She said noooo she's really good. Even if I'm not perfect, I do talk to my kids everyday. I believed that if I didn't teach them too much sign language, they will be talking alot, without too much dependence on sign. I also requested their dad talk to them consistently so that helped alot. I taught the lil ones few signs so I can get them what they needed quick. Milk, drink, nap/bedtime, hurt (to help me source of pain if any) thumb up over my shoulder (punishment's coming like go to your room). I noticed when they use the sign, they don't talk. That's okay but when they do it too much, I make them use a complete sentence to keep them on track for talking in the world out there. I don't even like the demanding attitude some children display so I put the brakes on that also. l's say I can't understand you talking like that. What did you just say---so they get a chance to re-prhrase what they were trying to say in a nicer way.

If children are interested in books, get active with them!! If you want them to be gentle with dogs, then teach them to be gentle. If you want them to do well in school, get active in school. Easier said than done but I believe that to be a fact. I'd listen to the people with six years of experience and I'd listen to people who know their children the best. I'm also known as mom that would let her kids get minor cuts before taking action to so they'd learn that things do hurt and to be careful the next time. I can't say the same about my two year old jumping from a five feet ledge though...:D

Hi I've been reading this thread and want to say that if the opportunity is there for a child to learn, the child WILL learn in his own time and his own way. Provide TV, books, sign/voice, whatever is good for the child.

If children are interested in books, get active with them!! If you want them to be gentle with dogs, then teach them to be gentle. If you want them to do well in school, get active in school. Easier said than done but I believe that to be a fact. I'd listen to the people with six years of experience and I'd listen to people who know their children the best. I'm also known as mom that would let her kids get minor cuts before taking action to so they'd learn that things do hurt and to be careful the next time. I can't say the same about my two year old jumping from a five feet ledge though...:D

I agree. IF the opportunity is there, she will learn. And I am trying to make sure she has the opportunity.

I am terribly active in her school. I am there at least twice a week, talking to the teacher and I volunteer at every opportunity. We are just in this sort of inbetween time now, where things are a little tricky and the future is still so unclear.

faire_jour.......is it possible that you're just feeling like you're not doing enough for Kat to have the best possible speech? Are there any other speech therapists available? You're doing great by supplementing with AVT....I think you think that if some therapy is good, therapy 24/7 is going to be good.

Let Miss Kat learn in her own time.

I didn't speak much when I was in an oral program, but then my speech took off when I was in a Signed English program and that was when I was 4 years old. Now my speech is passable, not perfect,though.

There is a chance that Miss Kat might hear better than she speaks. However, it takes time for speech to progress.

I had only half hour speech therapy once a week or a fortnight when I was at school. So, your daughter is getting more than I did.

My suggestion is to get her speech teacher replaced with one who you believe will do better. And use your voice while signing to her. Difficult for you perhaps, but easier for her to learn.

faire_jour, you sound like a GREAT mom! :)

I wonder about the IEPs, though .. maybe times have changed. I was looking not too long ago through some of the old IEPs that my IEP teacher wrote up (in my case, this is about 30 years ago already if we are talking about elementary school age) and in there, improving speech skills was included. Has that been excluded now?

Back