Idioms

Idioms....spoken a lot around my house, since I've got teenagers...."get on ur job"....(get to work)...."he's my dawg"....(my friend/homey)...."putting in work".....(doing ur job)...."the Prez sezs"...(talking about the President)...."bummer"....bad day....."whatchamacallit"....(whatever it is)....

Aren't these more like slangs?

i am hearing. yes we ask all the time about idioms. dont worry about it. we are all learning :)

Love this topic

Never heard of that either.

I only heard of the common ones. like raining cats and dogs (raining hard),
hold your horses (wait) , and idioms like that

Is "walk on eggshells" idiom ? I thought that more of a metaphor or something because I could understand it when people told me "I feel like I'm walking on eggshells" and I totally understand what they meant.
I've always associate idioms as nonsense stuffs. raining cats and dogs is definitely nonsense.

:hmm:In the old days when homes had thatched roofs and it was raining real hard the animals would climb into the only warm shelter they had, and that would have been the warm and dry hiding place of the thatched roof. Many animals,...cats and dogs would fall through and into the home. The people in the home would say" It's raining cats and dogs today."
Many idioms have history. just like "know your ropes" This one comes from the big ships. There were so many ropes to memorize that if you did not know your ropes you would most likely end up dying by being hung by one of them.

oops

Did I do something wrong?
I love history and wanted to share. I hope I did not do anything wrong....I am a newbie here. I am HOH learning ASL

PITA,
from my perspective you didn't do anything wrong. I like learning about history too and didn't know that about the cats and dogs. I think it may just be the time of year, and in general many people have lots of stuff going on
am also hoh getting back to ASL <had learned some about 15 years ago during college years>.

Wirelessly posted

PITA said:
Did I do something wrong?
I love history and wanted to share. I hope I did not do anything wrong....I am a newbie here. I am HOH learning ASL

Nope. It was interesting. Thanks for sharing and sorry I didn't say anything earlier.

I love teaching idioms in my classes...the kids really do get a kick out of them. We learn at least two idioms per week along with our vocabulary words. Sometimes the kids will learn one and share them with the class. :)

teaching idioms does make reading easier. I realized that most books contains sayings, phrases and idioms.

just like how you wrote "get a kick out of them"

Thanks...
Maybe we should start a new thread write the idiom then explain the reason for the idiom or ask for the idiom to be explained. I think it would be fun. oops, maybe this thread is a good plce

Cheers
PITA

Last edited:
This is when a hearing person says "son of a gun" to a hearing person it means...I have or had no idea. But in the old days it means that a women had a male child without being married to the sailor that came to port. She gets pregnant by the sailor in port The women hides her pregnancy then when the time is right gives her male child away to the big ships, the child is small and is placed in the gunnels (the gun holes) most died. No one cared because they were a son of the gun. no one ever knew they were even born. "Son of a gun I had no idea"

Wirelessly posted

Me either. I had no idea about the history of son of a gun

Last edited:
You guys are drivin' me nuts with this stuff... idioms , ha
Wouldn't waste my time commentin' on 'em.

I'd rather go out and rustle up a couple o' low-milage pit-wolfies and see if I can't help 'em build a memory :P

I think all idioms have history.
The ole wolfies are just a figment of your ole imagination

Wirelessly posted

"Let them eat cake" (I nearly took this one the wrong way by somebody because I thought it was sarcasm because of the topic we were talking about. Long story. Don't ask.)

Back