Idioms

I like imagination :)
(but you're right PITA)

PITA-
Actually you're not didn't you see the rediculous lashing I got for sharing I am in a polyamorous relationship? In the threa polyamory.
I have two girlfriends, a wife and she has two girlfriends and each of them has a girlfriend or boyfriend and both of my girlfriends have other girlfriends and I have had gonnoreah 3 times this year alone. LOL j/k

I always thought that was a good thing, to let them eat cake.
I thought it would be mean if she had said "Don't let them eat cake"

CAKE IS DELICIOUS!

Ok..
let's "shake a leg" now that means to "hurry up" where that saying came from was when ,,,the sailors came to port,the men that were lucky had a women with them in their hamock...come morning time the captain would yell ...shake a leg..to protect the womens dignity if an unhairy leg was shown the "lady, "shake a leg" was allowed to stay untill all the men left and then the "lady was allowed to leave.

Don't a lot of idioms come from Deaf Culture? Swallow the Fish, train gone, pea brain... etc.
I thought they came from ASL signs. IDK

NO!!??? most idioms do not come from deaf culture get real 1,500 -5,000 ASL to 200,000 or more english????...".words" not idioms. I think idioms come from culture so to understand you must know the culture. In ASL "train zoom finish" means in english "ya missed the boat" .. to me that means,... you are too late, or it's all over. I really did not miss a boat. or a train. but in the old days I bet that a person really did miss a train or a boat.

Last edited:
Umm.. I know who said it. Marie-Antoinette, Historically. I do know what it means but it always seemed reversed to me. CAKE IS DELICIOUS!
...Eat cake, they ate cake alright. Great way to start a revolt against ya, tell your subjects to eat cake!

PITA I have learned a lot in this thread. Are you like an English Proffessor or something?
Are you looking these up on the inernet? Most people have no idea bout the history of idioms. Thank you :)
There are 200,000 English IDIOMS?! Holy.... what are you a linguist librarian?

I am right that a few of 'em come from ASL though? I don't know I was asking.

I am hear to learn

(pun intended:)

Hear to learn... most idioms are from other languages ASL is one of the newest languages on this earth

It is huh? I actually did not realize that. ASL shares some tribal signs that have been in America for about 9,000 years probably. Interesting. Now it makes sense that it is such an advanced language. The sign for "ALL" in ASL is also a tribal sign, and the same sign can mean 'done'. The sign for "finish" in ASL also appears to have descended from Native tribes here. Specifically the Ojibwa or Cree languages so the Sioux and Lakota's etc. would have used them also.

Idioms are fun. Every language has them. Most have a history. Learning the meaning without the history is usually boring and a bit more difficult to do.

Back