i711 to be discontinued

Sucky part is leaves me without a way to contact 911 because they do not receive text.
I could use a flair gun but still 36 miles from anywhere I would have as much luck shooting up 3 times with a bow and arrow.

if "fraud" is the reason to shut down something lets do the same thing with the Government, there seems to be more of it there any place else, and what is this about "monitor " the phone call, give me a break, relay is going through a 3rd party you can not get anymore monitored than that. I do not use relay much other than short contact and (Goddess forbid 911). to even get a relay number I had to give out everything but the length of my hair. Who is committing Fraud other than the IRS.
Sorry people this upsets me not just for myself but all in the community.

Aha, two reasons Purple pulled the plug, its money and privacy issue. Wow! Well, this is how our current government is... Tyranny! as usual. FCC was granted immunity to losses, making the providers absorb any losses that FCC would get away with, EVEN if it is FCCs fault, see how it screws the relay service?

to me from the FCC

Miss Sares B

Thank you for contacting the Federal Communications Commission (FCC) regarding IP Relay service. On October 15, 2014, Purple Communications, Inc. notified the FCC that it will cease providing IP Relay service as of 5 p.m. EST on November 14, 2014. At present, Sprint remains a provider of IP Relay service.

The FCC is aware that IP Relay service is essential to many consumers who use relay services to communicate over the phone and that it is the only method of placing and receiving telephone calls for some of these consumers. Unfortunately, IP Relay service has been subject to significant fraud and abuse in recent years, totaling millions of dollars. The FCC’s efforts to protect these services for all consumers by eliminating this fraud and abuse has resulted in several providers terminating their provision of this service. Following the latest voluntary departure from the market by Purple, the FCC is working around the clock to ensure that consumers continue to have full access to IP Relay service in a manner that does not encourage IP Relay misuse by illegitimate users. In addition, we are actively exploring options to ensure that people who are deaf-blind continue to have accessible ways to use this service.

Finally, we wish to dispel any rumors that the FCC has ever required any TRS provider to disclose the content of what is said during any TRS call, including any IP Relay conversation. The FCC has strict rules guaranteeing both the confidentiality of all calls and the privacy of caller information, and we will continue to enforce those rules as they apply to IP Relay or any other form of TRS.

We thank you for bringing to our attention your concerns about IP Relay service. We will continue our work to find options to keep this service up and running in a manner that meets the communications needs of all individuals who need it.

Best Regards,

Federal Communications Commission
CGB/Disability Rights Office
Was this an email or a letter from FCC? When did you receive it?

The red paragraph states that it's not true that FCC requires that kind of records.

Oh well, that's TWO different stories between FCC and Purple.

Purple will have to show us a proof regarding FCC's new requirement.

Leaning ASL is not an option for me. I have a neuromuscular disease as well so over use of my arms is not an option. I can't even do enough to fold towels.

to me from the FCC

Miss Sares B

Thank you for contacting the Federal Communications Commission (FCC) regarding IP Relay service. On October 15, 2014, Purple Communications, Inc. notified the FCC that it will cease providing IP Relay service as of 5 p.m. EST on November 14, 2014. At present, Sprint remains a provider of IP Relay service.

The FCC is aware that IP Relay service is essential to many consumers who use relay services to communicate over the phone and that it is the only method of placing and receiving telephone calls for some of these consumers. Unfortunately, IP Relay service has been subject to significant fraud and abuse in recent years, totaling millions of dollars. The FCC’s efforts to protect these services for all consumers by eliminating this fraud and abuse has resulted in several providers terminating their provision of this service. Following the latest voluntary departure from the market by Purple, the FCC is working around the clock to ensure that consumers continue to have full access to IP Relay service in a manner that does not encourage IP Relay misuse by illegitimate users. In addition, we are actively exploring options to ensure that people who are deaf-blind continue to have accessible ways to use this service.

Finally, we wish to dispel any rumors that the FCC has ever required any TRS provider to disclose the content of what is said during any TRS call, including any IP Relay conversation. The FCC has strict rules guaranteeing both the confidentiality of all calls and the privacy of caller information, and we will continue to enforce those rules as they apply to IP Relay or any other form of TRS.

We thank you for bringing to our attention your concerns about IP Relay service. We will continue our work to find options to keep this service up and running in a manner that meets the communications needs of all individuals who need it.

Best Regards,

Federal Communications Commission
CGB/Disability Rights Office

Wondering if that is Greg Hlibok wrote this?

Paul I got this Wednesday aftenoon. It was a e post to my asking what was up.

Was this an email or a letter from FCC?
When did you receive it?

The red paragraph states that it's not true that FCC requires that kind of records.

Oh well, that's TWO different stories between FCC and Purple.

Purple will have to show us a proof regarding FCC's new requirement.

Do you think you recommend me port from Purple IP-Relay to Sprint? I am reluctant to do to Sprint.

I'm still waiting for confirmation from Sprint on whether or not they are porting my i711 number.

Do you think you recommend me port from Purple IP-Relay to Sprint? I am reluctant to do to Sprint.

There is no point. sprint is contemplating in giving up ip relay too due to same reasons purple is giving up their ip relay service.
FCC wants to see the ip text conversations or they wont pay. purple already decided to give up due to it violates the federal privacy act. sprint thinking of following suit.

There is no point. sprint is contemplating in giving up ip relay too due to same reasons purple is giving up their ip relay service.
FCC wants to see the ip text conversations or they wont pay. purple already decided to give up due to it violates the federal privacy act. sprint thinking of following suit.
FCC's email to Sares (post #19) showed that FCC didn't ask for contents of every IP relay calls so who's lying, FCC or Purple? Read Sares' post #3 regarding an email from Sprint. No mention about FCC's new requirement.

They're doing a good job at eliminating fraud and abuse. Just shut it all down and no more fraud and abuse! Brilliant! :roll:

Wondering if that is Greg Hlibok wrote this?
I just zoomed it in. It showed "PGB" so it looked like a different person writing it, not him. The different person said that FCC follows the law of privacy acts while Greg said otherwise. Greg is the one who will be fired.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NyCvYUHksZY

She had a conversation with a deaf guy from FCC. It could be Greg Hlibok she talked with.

He will be FIRED hopefully because the email from FCC Disability Rights Office (post #19) showed that FCC must follow the rules that don't allow it. In other words, Greg doesn't follow the rules.

I know deaf blind will find hard way to getting text relay after ceasing Purple IP-Relay/i711 this Friday.

I was looking at www.nextalk.com and found ACCESS Home Edition for deaf and hard of hearing. It has including TTY, Text Relay, and VRS. It cost 1 cent for free month then you will have pay $6.95 per month or $74.95 per year. Is it worth for us? It is not fair to us. It looks like phone bills. ACCESS Home edition software is same like nextalk.net software as well.

Not fair? :hmm: so you think it is fair that Deaf pays nothing and hearing pays for themselves plus you?

I would understand if it cost 100 dollars a month, but $6.95 a month is too much for you? :hmm:

Now, look at rest of countries other than United States, there is NO such thing as free service for Deafies! Generally they got nothing, so you think paying $6.95 a month is not fair, while the rest of Deafies in other countries have to pay way more than $6.95 a month just to get same service that you wanted?

I know deaf blind will find hard way to getting text relay after ceasing Purple IP-Relay/i711 this Friday.

I was looking at www.nextalk.com and found ACCESS Home Edition for deaf and hard of hearing. It has including TTY, Text Relay, and VRS. It cost 1 cent for free month then you will have pay $6.95 per month or $74.95 per year. Is it worth for us? It is not fair to us. It looks like phone bills. ACCESS Home edition software is same like nextalk.net software as well.

FCC's email to Sares (post #19) showed that FCC didn't ask for contents of every IP relay calls so who's lying, FCC or Purple? Read Sares' post #3 regarding an email from Sprint. No mention about FCC's new requirement.

So now we have a case of "......he said, she said....."

Last edited:

It's small unit, I think it's fair price as long as it keep them in business. Pro is... it's cheap than have telephone landline.

And Deaf-blind receive SSD that pay much more than deaf.

Remember, Nextalk is not under FCC program, so therefore, if consumers want to use nextalk services, then they have to pay for services. The money go toward to operation, interpreters, etc. FCC is not reimbursing directly to nextalk.

Back