I think I may get this as my new car...

I rode Mini before and I really like it a lot.

Jake, Mini was 5 or 6 speeds?

I drove the Mini Cooper base model with automatic. IT's nice but I haven't driven the manual version.

I know, its weird. I was like, the fuck?

Compared to what I drive my fiesta, the clutch is very different to the mini to mine.
It is a very small car - maybe I'll just have to give it another go when I am in Sydney next time.

oh yes - the clutch was definitely different. My Saab's clutch was "lazy" and Mini's clutch was tight and short. The strangest clutch I've experienced was this Honda car. Its clutch was too long and just very strange :dunno:

oh yes - the clutch was definitely different. My Saab's clutch was "lazy" and Mini's clutch was tight and short. The strangest clutch I've experienced was this Honda car. Its clutch was too long and just very strange :dunno:
Indeed.
All clutches are different, it varies on the car.
My fiesta clutch is very different to the mini, it is lighter and easier. When I got my car first time, I stalled few times because it was different to my old festiva. :lol:
However the motorhome caravan I drove was heavy than the fiesta, took me a while to get used to it.

Mini Cooper are well known engine problems. :(

I 've not see any Mini engine problems, just brakes, oil changes and smogs. Only problems what I saw is leaky heater core and noisy electric power steering pump. Maybe they put wrong oil grade into the Mini engines? :dunno:

Yeah, that's normal for a Honda. :lol: It is kinda long and light. The clutch on the Subaru is very senstive, it engages really quickly and it's a little heavy as well. I drove manual cars for a really long time until I got this car which is my first automatic car.

speaking of clutch, at some point in the future, I am thinking of shortening my gear ratio to make it more sportier and short gear stick as well.

speaking of clutch, at some point in the future, I am thinking of shortening my gear ratio to make it more sportier and short gear stick as well.

ah... grab a hacksaw and cut it to any length you want

I think Jake drove it, was a basic factory package with a 5 spd manual tranny that may explain why he dislike a Mini. I bet he like a Cooper S w/ a 6 spd manual tranny cuz of supercharged motor.

If you want to change gear ratios, you would have to rebuild the transmission to make that happen. If you want short travel between gear shifts, you need to modify the shift rod and other parts to the transmission...

I grew up driving manuals.....it still took me a month to learn to drive my 911. I looked like Rocky driving the Trans Am in Rocky II.... :lol: erk.....erk.....erk

You have a Porche 911? :drool:

All the ones I've seen are 6 speeds now.

I drove the Mini Cooper base model with automatic. IT's nice but I haven't driven the manual version.

Ew, automatic? That's just wrong...

I'd like to look into this too - I've never had a car worth modding, so I never got into that, but I remember playing Grand Turismo on the PS2 and one of my favorite parts was modding all the cars.

:lol: Well, I work at Enterprise Rent A Car, they had 2 Mini Coopers to rent out when I lived in Washington state. I did want to drive a manual version. All of the cars at Enterprise are automatic. The funny thing is that in Europe, Costa Rica, Mexico, etc, you can rent a car with a manual transmission

:lol: Well, I work at Enterprise Rent A Car, they had 2 Mini Coopers to rent out when I lived in Washington state. I did want to drive a manual version. All of the cars at Enterprise are automatic. The funny thing is that in Europe, Costa Rica, Mexico, etc, you can rent a car with a manual transmission

Oh, okay. That's acceptable, then. Prolly a regular Cooper, then, not an S, too?

I've never driven a base model, only a manual S. I never even looked at the non-S models, lol.

Oh, okay. That's acceptable, then. Prolly a regular Cooper, then, not an S, too?

I've never driven a base model, only a manual S. I never even looked at the non-S models, lol.

Yes, all of them are base models. Yeah, they are sort of boring and has quirky features. They don't accelerate very fast and the steering wheel shifter reacts slowly. The automatic transmission is slow to shift, how sad. My 2000 Honda Civic with automatic can outpace that car easily.

Also to add....I highly recommend a manual transmission on a compact car. It is a better match for acceleration, power response, etc.

Depend on size of the clutch cylinder & slave cylinder or lever ratio (clutch pedal/ clutch fork) base on the weight of the vehicle and engine size. If I am correct.
My old Alfa Romeo GTV has a soft clutch and short pedal stroke travel as you like to put your foot on the gas pedal. I was thinking the clutch pressure plate was weak and no good then I got a new clutch set to replace it but I got same soft clutch the way since I bought it in early 1980s.

If you want to change gear ratios, you would have to rebuild the transmission to make that happen. If you want short travel between gear shifts, you need to modify the shift rod and other parts to the transmission...

Change gear ratio? I dont think so.

All Coopers are using synthetic motor oil such as MOBIL 1 and premium fuel grade.

Back