I start...

So much fun! The only thing I'm finding hard is putting facial expression into my signing! I'm also teaching my mom and bf as I learn. Mostly easy stuff like colours, alphabet, easy word like no yes I love you etc. I started sentence and questions last week :) I was thinking of going to a deaf event this Friday but then forgot that I couldn't due to a team sleepover we're having the same night for the girls I coach.

So much fun! The only thing I'm finding hard is putting facial expression into my signing! I'm also teaching my mom and bf as I learn. Mostly easy stuff like colours, alphabet, easy word like no yes I love you etc. I started sentence and questions last week :) I was thinking of going to a deaf event this Friday but then forgot that I couldn't due to a team sleepover we're having the same night for the girls I coach.

I suspect most ASL students have trouble remembering the facial expressions. For me it's because I'm thinking too much about what I'm trying to sign. And my facial expression probably shows a questioning look - "Am I signing this right" or "What is the sign for..."

Since I was exposed to ASL from a very young age but didn't depend on it until later, I have always been told I have a "very expressive" face.
My dentist and childhood orthodontist used to comment (in a very positive way) that when I was uncomfortable they could see it in my face which was contorted in all sorts of ways.
This, despite what Switched at Birth would have you believe, makes me terrible at poker and other deception.

But often when I am signing I'm sure I look, for lack of a better word, angrily confused. Either that or really intense.

So you know when you day dream in your head..I've been day dreaming in ASL lollll getting the hang of the grammar better after todays lesson AND in the next few weeks I'm going to a deaf event!

So glad you got someone to work with. Learning in person is so much better, I think. Always easier for me to remember if I see it in person and good to have the feedback. Have fun!

Is your mom and bf keen to learn as well? I think it really adds to the success of ASL if your fam want to learn as well.

My fam won't learn at all, drives me mad!

My mom always asks me what I've learned that day, and I show her and she'll do some of the signs and laugh at the ones that are the raunchy ones. My bf is not AS interested to learn but I always show him signs anyway and he goes through them with me :)

Back