I saw a coyote tonight while taking Marty..

I am glad it didn't notice you. I love the resurgence of wildlife in our country, but they can pose a danger to small pets.

The coyote did see me and I am so glad Marty did not bark at it!!

It's excessive to kill a coyote just because one may have seen it on a private property. They are only a nuisance if they keep coming back and causing problems in the neighbourhood. They rarely attack people and their pets unless they are starving and running low on food supply. For instance, cutting down the forest can force the coyotes to relocate and change their ways of hunting for food. Basically, it's our fault for what's happening.

I agree! We're taking all the open land and leaving nothing for the wildlife! I get so upset every time I see more trees cut down and and land plowed over that once was home to wildlife!

That's bastard! You could find out who owns the land by looking up the document at the town hall. If it is a commercial owner, then your neighbors should fight against the commercial owner. You and your neighbors need to hire a lawyer to get started as a pool money together for one lawyer. It will work with the lawyer successfully. Don't wait too long. Your group need to discuss it together privately at someone's house first and then go to the court.

That's how we won the case against the town hall from setting up two giant windpowers way too close to our neighbors' home last April 2011.

And it is against the law to fire off a gun next to homes! The coyote was in my back yard !

law police is very serious! strict not allow kill on animal go to jail !

few my friends deaf kill deer serious I told not good broken law you will chareg or you take license prove! police check your license serious! I was surprised!

That's bastard! You could find out who owns the land by looking up the document at the town hall. If it is a commercial owner, then your neighbors should fight against the commercial owner. You and your neighbors need to hire a lawyer to get started as a pool money together for one lawyer. It will work with the lawyer successfully. Don't wait too long. Your group need to discuss it together privately at someone's house first and then go to the court.

That's how we won the case against the town hall from setting up two giant windpowers way too close to our neighbors' home last April 2011.

I am not sure what you're talking about. I said we're losing our open land and by this I mean is happening every where not just in my city but in every state! When we destroy wildlife habitat , the wildlife get pushed into our back yards looking for food! There is nothing I can do about the coyote coming into my yard. I have to be very careful when taking my dog out. The land behind my condo is privately own and the owners want to sell it. Once this happen the coyote will lose it home! The only way I can stop this to find some endanger species on the land. I tried this with the cotton tail rabbits but Massachusetts cottontail rabbits are not on the endanger species list.

Far from it! Rabbits breed like, well, rabbits. I doubt that there will ever be a shortage of them. We get "marsh bunnies" here.

I think I posted here - not sure - that when we came down to our beach house a couple weeks ago, after not being here all winter, we found bear scat on our back deck. Our one-flight-up back deck. Right next to the screen door going to our back porch.

Acckkk!!! Very strange feeling knowing that Mr. Bear had climbed up the lattice below the deck and made himself comfy for a while.

We have also seen foxes, a mama and two cubs, while walking with our dogs. Snakes are not unusual. Rabbits are plentiful, and are usually very active in the late afternoon, when it's not so hot. There are still a few unsold lots in our subdivision. They are heavily wooded, so there are a lot of places for wildlife to hole up.

I think the bear has moved on. I fervently hope so.

Far from it! Rabbits breed like, well, rabbits. I doubt that there will ever be a shortage of them. We get "marsh bunnies" here.

I think I posted here - not sure - that when we came down to our beach house a couple weeks ago, after not being here all winter, we found bear scat on our back deck. Our one-flight-up back deck. Right next to the screen door going to our back porch.

Acckkk!!! Very strange feeling knowing that Mr. Bear had climbed up the lattice below the deck and made himself comfy for a while.

We have also seen foxes, a mama and two cubs, while walking with our dogs. Snakes are not unusual. Rabbits are plentiful, and are usually very active in the late afternoon, when it's not so hot. There are still a few unsold lots in our subdivision. They are heavily wooded, so there are a lot of places for wildlife to hole up.

Meet Bubba. That is the back deck to my New Mexico condo. He has been hanging out since he was a cub. Never saw momma.

Aw. Kind of cuts down on your sitting out on the patio time, doesn't he? How old is he now?

With two smallish dogs, I would not feel comfortable with a bear permanently living that close to the house. It's odd for us to have bears, since we are on an island, but apparently one or two swam across the Sound last year. They were spotted in Kill Devil Hills (next town up from us), and clearly were in our neighborhood over the winter, and now, according to the park ranger, have moved on. We are close to the Alligator River preserve; they are likely to end up there. Happy ending for all concerned.

In that picture he is 4....He is about 6 now. He is really no bother. He wont come on the deck if somebody is on it. He used to come on the deck at night and drink out of the keg. I got rid of it though because I wasn't there enough

More worried about the bear than I am the people.

You mean more worried that the people might hurt the bear, than the bear might hurt the people? Yeah, I could understand that.

Funny how we humans can form attachments to other mammals, even mammals who could conceivably do us serious harm.

I now rabbits breed like crazy but they're the only real wild animal around for the foxes, coyotes and hawks to eat so this will keep the numbers of rabbits down. And the rabbits lost their main food supply as the farmer it no longer growing crops in the field behind my condo. The rabbits are going a number on our lawn! I use to see 3 rabbits at time in my yard , I now only see one at a time. The cottontails rabbits in Maine and New Hampshire are on the endanger list as they're losing their habitat.

You mean more worried that the people might hurt the bear, than the bear might hurt the people? Yeah, I could understand that.

Funny how we humans can form attachments to other mammals, even mammals who could conceivably do us serious harm.

People are more afraid of wolves than bears and more people are attacked by bears than wolves!!

Yeah that's what I meant..

Plus he is so cute. You can tell when he gets his fellings hurt too. :lol:

People are more afraid of wolves than bears and more people are attacked by bears than wolves!!

Bear attacks are extremely rare....They do happen but they are rare. Black Bears are wimps and unless you are between them and food or cubs you are safe. They will run if you merely clap your hand.

:ty:for the pic. of Bubba, Txgolfer. My dad and I are both fascinated by bears. My dad went to a talk on grizzlies and became very interested in them.

I know black bears are becoming more and more common in urban areas due to human population and they're fairly easy to scare off so long as there are no cubs involved.

When we were in the Smokey Mtns. Nat. Park there were Warning-Bear Country signs everywhere, including in hotel parking lot.
one eve. we had gone driving into the park and came back to the hotel and everybody was all excited because a sow and her cubs had come up from the woods that the hotel was next to <it was on a hill on a ridge, with the park below; the back area of the hotel had an outside eating area with grills/picnic table etc.>. There had been some guests out there grilling and she came up with her cubs and took the food.

Yeah that's what I meant..

Plus he is so cute. You can tell when he gets his fellings hurt too. :lol:

Cute??? Would you call an elephant cute? Magnificent is more of the proper term. Don't forget that a human being doesn't stand a chance in a confrontation with either an elephant or a full grown bear. Careful there.

I am glad it didn't notice you. I love the resurgence of wildlife in our country, but they can pose a danger to small pets.

We have a pack of 5 or 6 that roam around the neighborhood. Every so often they will be seen in a yard. The deer are in my front yard on a daily basis. If you walk outside, they just look at you like, "Was'up?" (Wooded area surrounding the neighborhood).

On campus, less than a mile from my house, we had a doe that used to stand outside the library to eat acorns. She got so used to people that you could walk by and pet her.

Cute??? Would you call an elephant cute? Magnificent is more of the proper term. Don't forget that a human being doesn't stand a chance in a confrontation with either an elephant or a full grown bear. Careful there.

Gotta have respect for their power. They certainly harbor no fond feelings for humans.

You have to respect the animal.....no doubt. Making noise is the way the area Forrest rangers suggest you deal with Black bears.

Grizzlies are different. I would shit my pants if a griz was stealing beer off my deck. None in the area though. Biggest concerns in the area are cougars and rattlesnakes. Those aren't cute. :lol:

Back