I need your help!!!!

DefMATRIXense

Reaction score
Today, I am thinking of purchasing a Linksys Wireless-N Gigabit Wireless Router with 4-Port Switch (Model: WRT310N). Is this item going to work out with VP? The reason I wanted to buy a wireless router is turn my iphone and blackberry wifi on while I am home. 3G eats battery.

Linksys won't work with VP that what I learn but if you download some kind of firewire on it and it will work.

Why is that? How is different from my old linksys wired router works and new linksys wireless router not working? 5 minutes ago , I bought linksys simultaneous dual-band wireless-n router (model wrt-400n)

Linksys might not going to work with VP, only D-Link that can work with VP. If download the firmware with Linksys, it might will work with VP but I am not sure it will work with VP. You can test it and see if it works. :shrug: Maybe you can contact VR tech support to see if Linksys are compatible with VP.

diehardbiker will help you with this. He's the one who's expertise in this specific model.

It works after i was struggling with the connection between a new router and VP for 45 minutes. Before I put 125 on DMZ under linksys' site, I was debating that with my brother and he is against it because dmz is no security which I agree with him but he needs to realize that Sorenson VRS required DMZ enable. He said don't fucking trust anyone and let me configure it for you. I said sure help yourself and it took him 5 minutes done and it works. I gulped. I was like how the fuck did u do that? he insulted me, did u went to school to learn this right? I was yeah and he said what happened? I went like speechless.. lol So he was explaining that use Port Range Forwarding with VP ports and enable it. and he went to configure our way in VP network but it needs code and he called tech support and received a code and then configured it our way and put 125 on ip address (VP server I think) and That's it. !!!!! NO DMZ or disable dmz is so amazing, lol

It works after i was struggling with the connection between a new router and VP for 45 minutes. Before I put 125 on DMZ under linksys' site, I was debating that with my brother and he is against it because dmz is no security which I agree with him but he needs to realize that Sorenson VRS required DMZ enable. He said don't fucking trust anyone and let me configure it for you. I said sure help yourself and it took him 5 minutes done and it works. I gulped. I was like how the fuck did u do that? he insulted me, did u went to school to learn this right? I was yeah and he said what happened? I went like speechless.. lol So he was explaining that use Port Range Forwarding with VP ports and enable it. and he went to configure our way in VP network but it needs code and he called tech support and received a code and then configured it our way and put 125 on ip address (VP server I think) and That's it. !!!!! NO DMZ or disable dmz is so amazing, lol
I knew it will work with Linksys but DHB took care of it for you. :cool2:

No, I didn't

All I said that it would work 50-50 chance. If he sees black screen from time to time EVEN with settings are correct, thats what I have seen. In other words, not every Linksys router would work EVEN if same model! For example 2 out of 10 linksys model would have black screen problems even with port forwarding settings same on all 10 Linksys routers.

I knew it will work with Linksys but DHB took care of it for you. :cool2:

Technically there is almost no difference between port forwarding and DMZ. Both works same way, the only small difference is that DMZ is pretty much like you set ALL ports forward to a host. While using port forward, you become selective which port to forward to a host.

There is minimal difference on security between them.

From what I learn over years, I realize that DMZ has benefit if set VP as a host. It actually increase security because literally it would force all ports to VP unit. What does VP unit has to offer to hackers and virus writers? The answer is nothing. DMZ which in turn, the hackers do not have ability to attack other host like PC. The only concern about DMZ is that *IF* it were accidently assigned to a PC as a host, then that is serious breach of security toward to that PC.

The advantage of using port forwarding is that you specific port to a specific host, while freeing up other ports for other hosts.

DHB

No, I didn't

All I said that it would work 50-50 chance. If he sees black screen from time to time EVEN with settings are correct, thats what I have seen. In other words, not every Linksys router would work EVEN if same model! For example 2 out of 10 linksys model would have black screen problems even with port forwarding settings same on all 10 Linksys routers.
Then that must be one of my Jake fails, si?

Technically there is almost no difference between port forwarding and DMZ. Both works same way, the only small difference is that DMZ is pretty much like you set ALL ports forward to a host. While using port forward, you become selective which port to forward to a host.

From what I learn over years, I realize that DMZ has benefit if set VP as a host. It actually increase security because literally it would force all ports to VP unit. What does VP unit has to offer to hackers and virus writers? The answer is nothing. DMZ which in turn, the hackers do not have ability to attack other host like PC. The only concern about DMZ is that *IF* it were accidently assigned to a PC as a host, then that is serious breach of security toward to that PC.

The advantage of using port forwarding is that you specific port to a specific host, while freeing up other ports for other hosts.

DHB
Plus it only directs to ONE VP if you have more than 1, correct?

If got more than one hosts that requires port to be forwarding, then DMZ is out of option. There is one catch, can not forward same port to two or more hosts. Now you see why can't use DMZ host if want set PF more than 1 host.
Plus it only directs to ONE VP if you have more than 1, correct?

If got more than one hosts that requires port to be forwarding, then DMZ is out of option. There is one catch, can not forward same port to two or more hosts. Now you see why can't use DMZ host if want set PF more than 1 host.
Yeah, I understand better. That's right. DMZ only host 'ONE'

DHB
I highlighted yours which I wanted. This is what My brother was debating with me. He also said port range forwarding and port forwarding are different but port range forwarding is more higher secrity than DMZ but one thing you are right is they are same but port range forwarding has more benefit and increase security than DMZ. I fucking better getting my cisic networking book in the basement and find out for once and all. lol

Speaking of security, it really depend on how you configure, port forwarding does not necessarily mean increase security than DMZ. There are times where using DMZ actually increases security better than port forwarding.

Cisco networking book may cover this but really limitation. If you want study more, read in Network security books. I am planning to take Networking security in near future. Right now Im focus on getting Network + certificate, once complete then may go for CCNA then Networking security.

DHB

I highlighted yours which I wanted. This is what My brother was debating with me. He also said port range forwarding and port forwarding are different but port range forwarding is more higher secrity than DMZ but one thing you are right is they are same but port range forwarding has more benefit and increase security than DMZ. I fucking better getting my cisic networking book in the basement and find out for once and all. lol

I just wanted to point out something ...

There are 2 type of DMZ ....

Busniess DMZ and Home host DMZ

Both are not the same thing ...

Busniess DMZ are a firewall security feature

Home host DMZ (Home router) are basically all port forwarding to one ip and is not a "real DMZ" like the busniess routers.

Read more about different type of DMZ at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DMZ_(computing)

Today, I am thinking of purchasing a Linksys Wireless-N Gigabit Wireless Router with 4-Port Switch (Model: WRT310N). Is this item going to work out with VP? The reason I wanted to buy a wireless router is turn my iphone and blackberry wifi on while I am home. 3G eats battery.

Simple... Old linksys without CISCO will work with VP200. Newer Linksys with CISCO won't work VP200 due CISCO rid h.323. VP200 need H.323 for video.

I am disagreed with you.
Advanced_Internet_MultiDMZ.png

I used had business SMC router before and I seen more than one DMZ.
Prove? Here a picture.

newnatdmz11.jpg

I can tell you never work for business with large network before.

Speaking of security, it really depend on how you configure, port forwarding does not necessarily mean increase security than DMZ. There are times where using DMZ actually increases security better than port forwarding.

Cisco networking book may cover this but really limitation. If you want study more, read in Network security books. I am planning to take Networking security in near future. Right now Im focus on getting Network + certificate, once complete then may go for CCNA then Networking security.

DHB

Made sense to me now. You should not challenge with me about 5100B. I passed network + in 8 years ago and I used work as IT for 7 YEARS.

GET A FACT FOR NEXT TIME!

Back