I love my CI, u love yours?

StacieLeigh

Reaction score
Hiya all, long time no see!
I still don't have any new mapping yet since the last time, still at 1800 and hearing at 10-20 dbl, pretty cool for me lol. My brain is still trying to like i called it seperate the noises apart, lol...I am still having so many CI moments. I can hear someone counting change in another room, i hear the coins sliding across the table and hear when it hits the table, it took me a few minutes to realized that it was not the tv and i finally got up and found a friend in the kitchen counting out his change lol. How awesome is that??? lol, it did drove me nuts for a little bit b/c i was watching tv! How crazy is that????? Something like noises from another room is distracting me from my tv show! lol, it's too awesome for me.
Just anothe couple more months i go for my new mapping and hopefully try the lower speed. I still have troubles understanding speeches, but compared to my hearing aid, it's a hell of a lot improvement for me. It's going to keep improving!

Heh, I love my CI too!

I really like that I can hear someone knocking at the door, the tv, my own voice, and I really like the sound of the wind sometimes.

Hey Stacie long time no see! Glad you are still enjoying your CI. It's been about 7 months since switch on for both of us hasn't it? 10-20db is fantastic! I am still in the 20-40db range so you've done really well :)

Like you I continue to experience new CI moments. The one that has me in awe is being able to hear the clock ticking in the lounge from my kitchen. Also being able to use my cell phone with a wider range of people. I now ring up to make doctors appointments and stuff. I shocked my acupuncturist who I hadn't seen in a year by calling her and we had a conversation for about 10 minutes discussing different possible times to go and see her :)

I still don't appreciate music especially well but then I wasn't into music to begin with. I've heard that can be quite a long term thing.

It has been a while. Glad to hear how well things are going for you. It does take some getting used to all the different sounds.

Yep, I love what my CI does for me...let me count the ways...:whistle:

I love reading all these experiences! It helps me to understand more and more of what Marshall is experiencing with his one CI and how much more with his second one?

Welcome back! Looking forward to reading more about your experiences - and to answer your question - yes I LOVE my CI!!!

I used to have CI before and there's pros and cons on CI.

I'm neutral about CI.

Hey stacieleigh,

long time no see here :)

yep, I still love my ci

Luicia, It takes a while to get use to hearing words without looking lip for some people like you and me, you might get it quicker than me, Just remember I dropped out speech therapy to focus on my son first.. because his treatment was more important than myself.. so Now I can do what I want to do. i do my own therapy, my daughter gets arghh with me when I catch some words on her without looking at her lip.. she thinks she can get away but not anymore :) And I always tell everyone I am learning "along with my baby Everett who is 3 years old" I don't mind.. because it's fun working along with everett hehe

wendy

Hey stacieleigh,

long time no see here :)

yep, I still love my ci

Luicia, It takes a while to get use to hearing words without looking lip for some people like you and me, you might get it quicker than me, Just remember I dropped out speech therapy to focus on my son first.. because his treatment was more important than myself.. so Now I can do what I want to do. i do my own therapy, my daughter gets arghh with me when I catch some words on her without looking at her lip.. she thinks she can get away but not anymore :) And I always tell everyone I am learning "along with my baby Everett who is 3 years old" I don't mind.. because it's fun working along with everett hehe

wendy

Wendy, I'm wondering if you will go back to speech therapy now that your son is better? I'm not saying you should go back, just wondering is all. You're being a good mother giving up your therapy to focus on your son! Hope he's doing all better now...

Wendy, I'm wondering if you will go back to speech therapy now that your son is better? I'm not saying you should go back, just wondering is all. You're being a good mother giving up your therapy to focus on your son! Hope he's doing all better now...

Greema,

Yes I would go back to speech therapy.. It's just that I have to go thru all the medical paperswork first.. and unfortuntely.. my "closest" place would be 3 hours drive from my home.. soo I probably "end up doing" myself.. my family has been helping me a lot.. I yelled at my mother few months ago "why you didnt correct me when i said something wrong, Kayla my daughter did" mom said "I though you i though.. " she just couldn't admit then said she was veryyyy sorry for not helping me.. soo Lately i been correcting myself as My daughter or my mom or my husband reminding me.. so.. But truthful.. my son everett is going to be evaluated for his speech therapy at headstart so I will be learning along with my son.. yes I have heard words without lip reading more NOW than in past! my husband said i improved..
Greema Marshall will do Lot better than me! becuz he's in early age to have it done :) i did in later age.. :)

wendy

wendy

Yeah, right now my speech therapist wants me to work on hearing the difference between her voice and my voice (she said she wants me to recognize the difference) and then next week work on small words like bat pat etc...a bit frustrating. I can't hear the difference between b and p. They sound too much alike! I tried this site online where you listen to 2 words and then the computer tells you one of the words and you have to choose what word you just heard...I did so so, but I think that was luck, not really hearing the difference...the words they used sounded so much alike. I think maybe I would have better luck if the words didn't rhythm...like ball and dog...ya know what I mean. LOL...I have speech therapy 2x a week.

But I really like hearing my own voice when I speak.

Yeah, right now my speech therapist wants me to work on hearing the difference between her voice and my voice (she said she wants me to recognize the difference) and then next week work on small words like bat pat etc...a bit frustrating. I can't hear the difference between b and p. They sound too much alike! I tried this site online where you listen to 2 words and then the computer tells you one of the words and you have to choose what word you just heard...I did so so, but I think that was luck, not really hearing the difference...the words they used sounded so much alike. I think maybe I would have better luck if the words didn't rhythm...like ball and dog...ya know what I mean. LOL...I have speech therapy 2x a week.

But I really like hearing my own voice when I speak.
which is "this site" :D

wow.. Thank you Lucia I forgot about these links thru CIhear webby..

Lucia, Most of test I passsed... but I didn't go further than lesson 6...
the rhythm and risen.. Wow.. they almost SOUND the same to me.. that was TOUGH! but im glad I had chance to practices then do the quiz.. boy I flunk on Rhythm and risen. Not only that but I say it after I hear it.. even by myself but when my mom or husband are here I will ask them :) hehe.. mom and husband works alot tho. i don't like to depend on my kids! but i will just "listen them"

Boult, Thanks for that link too!

Boy, I haven't done this since I moved up in maine! that's where I located now Hehe..
wow. Its been awhile... Boult that link is very helpful, much better than my "discrimations speech therapist in past" god I quit with her when she think my cochlear implant is more important than my client at my old job! geez!

However, StacieLeigh, Since you bring this topic up..

I like to hear what you have been doing since you got ci, how you do improves these with yourself or with helps etc..

Wendy

Back