I love my CI, u love yours?

I tried again tonight and I finally hear a small difference between "ferry" and "very" they sound very similar but "ferry" is a bit louder/harsh than "very" and to make sure it wasn't just luck I did this 20 times with the 2 same words, and got 17 right 3 wrong. A very small step, I know, but a step nonetheless! :D

Got same score on "fan" and "van" too. :D

I tried again tonight and I finally hear a small difference between "ferry" and "very" they sound very similar but "ferry" is a bit louder/harsh than "very" and to make sure it wasn't just luck I did this 20 times with the 2 same words, and got 17 right 3 wrong. A very small step, I know, but a step nonetheless! :D

Great to hear you are getting somewhere.

Now you gotta try these at, bat, cat, fat, hat, mat, pat, rat, sat, vat :D

hmm.. you are supposed to hear long V than F since V is voiced and F is voiceless

let me check it out..

close your eye and listen to beginning of the word as you click either word in practice.

hmm.. you are supposed to hear long V than F since V is voiced and F is voiceless

let me check it out..

close your eye and listen to beginning of the word as you click either word in practice.

Yeah, I thought that was a bit odd...cause when I say "f" to myself it is not loud at all, but when I say "v" to myself it is loud. Weird...

However, StacieLeigh, Since you bring this topic up..

I like to hear what you have been doing since you got ci, how you do improves these with yourself or with helps etc..

Wendy

Well, I've listen to books on cd and my hun would go thru lists of words and i'll repeat them. I still rely a lot on lip-reading, b/c lots of words still sounds the same to me. I'll read things online to my hun and say big words that I've never heard someone says and he will correct me on how to say it and I've been doing good with that without lipreading, just try going by the sound of it. I watched a lots of news without caption to focus on what they are saying, I still get confused sometime, but not like I used to. Tonight, everyone was watching a movie that didn't have captions, so I watched about 20 mins of it, OMG, I repeated about 80% of to my hun and ask him is that what they said? lol. yup. I still love my captions. I watched Jackass 2 at the movie and I did pretty well understanding them lol, glad we got the dvd now with the captions to get what I missed lol. I don't know if I will ever be able to fully understand without captioning, but I'm okay with that. I just want to be be able to communicate with my family and friends a lot better and be able to socialize at get-together. I just have to remind myself sometime that when someone is talking, quit daydreaming! lol I'm so used to that for the last couple of years. Tonight, me and hun had great convo and we had a wonderful time just talking and he relaxed b/c he didn't have to repeat everytime. I was relaxed b/c I was so engrossed in telling him my opinion on something and telling him his opinon was stupid lol. Which it was, b/c he was so silly tonight lol.
All in all i know it will keep getting better and just focus on keep having people talking to me lol. Best exercise for me.

Well, I've listen to books on cd and my hun would go thru lists of words and i'll repeat them. I still rely a lot on lip-reading, b/c lots of words still sounds the same to me. I'll read things online to my hun and say big words that I've never heard someone says and he will correct me on how to say it and I've been doing good with that without lipreading, just try going by the sound of it. I watched a lots of news without caption to focus on what they are saying, I still get confused sometime, but not like I used to. Tonight, everyone was watching a movie that didn't have captions, so I watched about 20 mins of it, OMG, I repeated about 80% of to my hun and ask him is that what they said? lol. yup. I still love my captions. I watched Jackass 2 at the movie and I did pretty well understanding them lol, glad we got the dvd now with the captions to get what I missed lol. I don't know if I will ever be able to fully understand without captioning, but I'm okay with that. I just want to be be able to communicate with my family and friends a lot better and be able to socialize at get-together. I just have to remind myself sometime that when someone is talking, quit daydreaming! lol I'm so used to that for the last couple of years. Tonight, me and hun had great convo and we had a wonderful time just talking and he relaxed b/c he didn't have to repeat everytime. I was relaxed b/c I was so engrossed in telling him my opinion on something and telling him his opinon was stupid lol. Which it was, b/c he was so silly tonight lol.
All in all i know it will keep getting better and just focus on keep having people talking to me lol. Best exercise for me.

Hehe Stacieleigh I know what you are saying, I went thru the same when I married my husband, then 2 months later I got my first CI.. and He was so patiences and going thru with me whole time. now I'm just so relax and he is too...
One thing I get arghh.. few months ago I had to start allover again to learn my husband's speaking.. funny thing and strange thing.. He has no upper teeth now. it does sound a LITTTLE bit different but i got used to him again, and He's a Hairyman! thats what few friends of mine calls that.. he has beard of course he does trim his beard thank god for that.. Anyhow.. now I'm getting use to his sound..
My baby Everett is 3 he babbled alot. I constantly has to ask him say again to tell me clearly.. He often comes up to my face so upclosed to have my eyes cross reading his lips LOL he often likes to whisper you know how kids are.. but god... Everett is talkative! he talked a lot to his imagative friend Kayla and Sean didn't have one when they were little but Everett does, I have caught hearing him saying come with me I said go where? he said not you.. then He turn around told his invisible friend come with me.. I laughed and realized he was talking to his invisible friend not me! duh.. lol

but I am glad to see how you are doing with your process on your CI.

Wendy

yeah i still love mine.. ans still comming.

soon its going to be 2 years. been going to therpy once a week and that therpy helps alot since i joined few months ago.

Greema,

Yes I would go back to speech therapy.. It's just that I have to go thru all the medical paperswork first.. and unfortuntely.. my "closest" place would be 3 hours drive from my home.. soo I probably "end up doing" myself.. my family has been helping me a lot.. I yelled at my mother few months ago "why you didnt correct me when i said something wrong, Kayla my daughter did" mom said "I though you i though.. " she just couldn't admit then said she was veryyyy sorry for not helping me.. soo Lately i been correcting myself as My daughter or my mom or my husband reminding me.. so.. But truthful.. my son everett is going to be evaluated for his speech therapy at headstart so I will be learning along with my son.. yes I have heard words without lip reading more NOW than in past! my husband said i improved..
Greema Marshall will do Lot better than me! becuz he's in early age to have it done :) i did in later age.. :)

wendy

i am surprised because if she heard you pronouncing or annunciating things incorrectly, she could have stopped you right there!??? maybe she didn't want to embarrass you or hurt your feelings??? :dunno:

my parents and my sister ALWAYS CORRECT ME AND STILL DO-regardless! :thumb: other than them, my boyfriend and EVEN HIS PARENTS CORRECT my speech too if i don't pronounce or annunciate a word correctly... and they have been so extremely helpful- that many people find it hard to believe that my speech is THAT GOOD for a very profound deaf person... i just need to work on my voice... BLEH!!! and some letters like lucia mentioned that i have trouble with... like b-p, c-z, d-t, g/q-k, and h... i am supposed to start speech lesson soon... can't wait!!! : :hyper:

Hiya all, long time no see!
I still don't have any new mapping yet since the last time, still at 1800 and hearing at 10-20 dbl, pretty cool for me lol. My brain is still trying to like i called it seperate the noises apart, lol...I am still having so many CI moments. I can hear someone counting change in another room, i hear the coins sliding across the table and hear when it hits the table, it took me a few minutes to realized that it was not the tv and i finally got up and found a friend in the kitchen counting out his change lol. How awesome is that??? lol, it did drove me nuts for a little bit b/c i was watching tv! How crazy is that????? Something like noises from another room is distracting me from my tv show! lol, it's too awesome for me.
Just anothe couple more months i go for my new mapping and hopefully try the lower speed. I still have troubles understanding speeches, but compared to my hearing aid, it's a hell of a lot improvement for me. It's going to keep improving!

hi stacie!!!

i don't know who you are, but nice "meeting you" anyway! :D
that is really awesome!!! when were you implanted and activated? i am sure you know when as it is in my signature :D

i love my CI cuz i am always learning new sounds everyday but NOT YET picking up certain things... but a few of them so far... it will take some time... but i make progress at least every week or so! :thumb:

i know the feeling when you are distracted from the noises... i get that way too... i also get "nutty" cuz i hear so many different noises all at once and don't know what the heck they are unless someone tells me! :pissed: :lol: like i will hear the wind, train, cars, etc... ALL AT THE SAME TIME... but don't know WHICH IS WHICH (when i am alone)!!! :( i just need to be patient ... (sigh)

Back