"I heard....."

web730

Reaction score
I want to bring this up since it bothered me bit how we deaf state it whenever we deaf sometimes said "I heard"... yet we deaf actually didn't hear anything. I hope you understand what I try to emphasize.

Want to invent a word to replace this "I heard". Yet we could say I was told or whatever like that, however. I'm mere sure it did to you before.

But is there a such word for us to replace heard as?

You have got to remember not every deaf out there are stone deaf.

What is your suggestion/do you suggest for the deaf/hoh to use instead of saying hear(d)/hear(ing)?

You have got to remember not every deaf out there are stone deaf.

What is your suggestion/do you suggest for the deaf/hoh to use instead of saying hear[d0/hear(ing)?

True... I actually meant for those profound deaf and stone deaf people(not for HoH)... but thanks for the good question.

I'm profoundly deaf btw.

why not to say, "Eyes heard" because we, Deaf do use our eyes to heard the signing and stuffs.

not bad?

This is very interesting because when a Deaf person comes up and says "I heard..." and I get the feeling that I want to throttle their neck and yell "WHAT THE FUCK DID YOU HEAR?! I THOUGHT YOU WERE FUCKING DEAF!?", but I let myself calm down and let the Deaf person continue...

"I heard blah blah"
"O rly?"

:rofl: @ shezzbeav's post. I agree and it would be the same POV as yours. Eventually, too stupid to replace the hear with eyes. :roll:

hmmm ... well as you might aware of when hearing people say "play by ear" then we deafies usually say "play by eye".

So in here about hearies say "I heard", we could say "I seen" ??? What do you think???

why not to say, "Eyes heard" because we, Deaf do use our eyes to heard the signing and stuffs.

not bad?

Hmm... that doesn't make sense. To me, anyways.

We could just simply say...

"A rumour has been going around about you..."

"A little birdie told me that you..."

"I was informed that..."

and so on...

I was referring to YOUR post but sunshine1 posted hers first before I could :doh:

:lol: Good thread here...

I use those word like this...

The rumor spread out that.....

I learn from ...

I was told or informed that.....

I don't use those word 'I heard' because I know logical that I am :deaf:

Okay... At the least, you don't mock/insult/look down/etc on deaf people who tend to say "I heard..." subject in a sentence... So here's my mini story of my personal experience...

I was in a public school for five or four years so I was learned from my old teachers and they re hearing... because they usually said, "I heard..." but they didn't know how to change from "I heard..." to "I seen; someone told me; etc etc..." Because it was their bad habit... My habit adopted this subject and I moved to the deaf school and there were already had "I heard..." because there, too, were many hearing teachers...

It's pretty hard for me to break my habit to say "I heard..." and I can't help that, even I tried for many times... :dunno:

Sometimes I use the word, “inform”. It does not matter to me if deaf person say, “I heard”. I get irritated when hearing co-workers say, “They will call you – err, email you (using typing gestures)…or umm…(brightening at a good word) communicate with you” That shows they are a mite too sensitive about my hearing impairment. I help them along – “Yes, we will be in touch”.

If I were talking to a blind person I surely wouldn’t try to self-censor my language to exclude, “Now see here…” or “This is how I see this problem…”. It is theoretical. It is not an actual act of seeing.

lol..... "I heard" is simply a figurative speech depending on the context of conversation. "Play by ear" is a slang too. I wouldn't go thru trouble to paint those phrases as politically incorrect.

Back