"I heard....."

lol..... "I heard" is simply a figurative speech depending on the context of conversation. "Play by ear" is a slang too. I wouldn't go thru trouble to paint those phrases as politically incorrect.

Neither would I.

As someone who is totally blind, I've often had people react strangely when I've told them that I "saw" a movie (or that I "watched" a TV program). Their next question to me usually is, "How could you have seen the movie (or watched a TV program) when you're blind?" In response, I go onto explain that blind people use the word "see" (and "watch") all the time. And like an earlier poster mentioned about deafness, there are varying degrees of blindness.

Speaking of slang, I've oftentimes heard "turn a deaf ear" or "turn a blind eye." When I hear people using those phrases, do I get offended? No because they're just figures of speech -- that's all.

Neither would I.

As someone who is totally blind, I've often had people react strangely when I've told them that I "saw" a movie (or that I "watched" a TV program). Their next question to me usually is, "How could you have seen the movie (or watched a TV program) when you're blind?" In response, I go onto explain that blind people use the word "see" (and "watch") all the time. And like an earlier poster mentioned about deafness, there are varying degrees of blindness.

Speaking of slang, I've oftentimes heard "turn a deaf ear" or "turn a blind eye." When I hear people using those phrases, do I get offended? No because they're just figures of speech -- that's all.

Right.
thumbsup.gif

I would usually just say I heard. I am right on the edge of profound too, although I admit my culture is a bit more HOH.
Point being, I probably did not actually hear, but it is an understood figure of speech. No need to reinvent the wheel.

There was a book about audism..I forgot the title but it discussed this phrase. it stated that if deaf people use it , it means deaf people are adopting the hearing ways when we cant hear. We should adopt to our ways of obtaining information so we can say "I read.." or the other suggestions like the other ADers provided..great suggestions! LOL!

Several deaf people sign with what NorCal is saying here. I use that sign as well.

Same here when signing...but when I type or use spoken English, I use "I heard"..just a habit.

There was a book about audism..I forgot the title but it discussed this phrase. it stated that if deaf people use it , it means deaf people are adopting the hearing ways when we cant hear. We should adopt to our ways of obtaining information so we can say "I read.." or the other suggestions like the other ADers provided..great suggestions! LOL!

It is a bullcrab when hearing people think if we say I hear making them believe we using their hearing ways. Hahaha, that make me laugh. Just like Botts said that it is just a figure of speech of phrase. Every hearing people should know that we are Deaf or HOH, but can not pick up the words from the speech. Gawd. I used it to get the meaning of the word as a figure of speech. No Big Deal. :ugh:

Neither would I.

I used to have a problem with one of my blind students. I have a habit, when explaining things to a student of saying, "Do you see what I mean?" He would always laugh, and say, "No, I'm blind!"

I have done the same thing with my son. If I asked him to do something, and he was playing around and not minding, I would sign, "Did you hear me?" He would just look at me like I had gone mad!

I think that we all use phrases that have a different meaning than what the actual words would mean on their own. "Do you see what I mean" simply means "Do you understand?" and "did you hear me?" means, "Did you get what I told you?" If I spent all my time worrying about little slips like that, I wouldn't be able to communicate with people for trying to monitor myself constantly.:giggle:

I used to have a problem with one of my blind students. I have a habit, when explaining things to a student of saying, "Do you see what I mean?" He would always laugh, and say, "No, I'm blind!"

I have done the same thing with my son. If I asked him to do something, and he was playing around and not minding, I would sign, "Did you hear me?" He would just look at me like I had gone mad!

I think that we all use phrases that have a different meaning than what the actual words would mean on their own. "Do you see what I mean" simply means "Do you understand?" and "did you hear me?" means, "Did you get what I told you?" If I spent all my time worrying about little slips like that, I wouldn't be able to communicate with people for trying to monitor myself constantly.:giggle:

Yes.. a good one!

That's what I find it funny sometime how our habits saying "I hear..." and is just why I started the thread.

However, we could use the word "I hear..." for illiterate purpose (figure of speech)... if in a such situation we could literately say "I was told..." instead sometime.

Other posters' suggestions were also good comments here, too.

LOL! I agree. I've often had sighted people stop mid-sentence after they've said the word "see" or "look" and then apologize repeatedly because I'm blind. Like your blind student, I like to joke about my blindness because I think it helps put people at ease. In my opinion, there are more important things to be upset about than someone using certain words or phrases.

I avoid using the quotes

"I heard"

"Someone told me"

"Rumours.."

"Is it true?.."

I avoid them and prefer stating things matter of fact and would appreciate having quotes like "I learned about this on the news"..da da da with a source than gossipmongers.

I avoid using the quotes

"I heard"

"Someone told me"

"Rumours.."

"Is it true?.."

I avoid them and prefer stating things matter of fact and would appreciate having quotes like "I learned about this on the news"..da da da with a source than gossipmongers.

Love your icon! lol I watch that show sometimes. Sorry off topic! Getting bk on topic :)

I also had the habit of saying "I heard" although I'd prefer other methods. When I come to that habit, I would sign "I heard" on my eye. Good topic though! :)

I don't always remember the source of my information, so I tend to say "somebody said" instead of "I heard" since I can't hear. As a hearing person, I didn't used to say that often, so that's not a big deal to me. And still, now that I'm not, I don't sweat it.

One thing I did say a lot was "Sounds like..." even when I was hearing and the thing I was talking about had no sound, I would say that when I'm describing it. Now that nothing on the planet even has a sound for me, I've been trying to change my habit to "Seems like..." since that's essentially what I mean any way when I say that. Again, sometimes I slip up, but I don't sweat it. It's just a figure of speech. :hmm: A figure of speech. Even that's a figure of "speech" since I'm not speaking. I'm typing or signing.

good thread here, i can learn frm u guys. im so used to saying 'i heard ya'...
i feel silly saying dat now dat im a deafie lol

Back