I have a question for a decision

pek1

Reaction score
As many of you know, I am a professional student and am aiming at completing my undergrad work in the spring of 2009. With that said, I'm having some problems at the university that I'm at now, not academically, but with others not talking to me, particularly in the dorm. I also have the only dog allowed in the dorms and in classes, which is probably why a lot of students don't want to talk to me. My latest audiogram, done a week ago last Friday, is showing my hearing as deteriorating and my asl skills are rusty and no one in this area (Fargo-Moorhead) is able to help me or obtain more asl classes.

Given that information, what would you do? If you need more information, please ask. My options are to either transfer back to the University of Minnesota-Duluth, where I was a couple years ago, or transfer to Gallaudet? They both have my major, communication studies.

Thanks in advance!

well gally is definitely the best place to improve your ASL and I had a cool communications-related class there, but you have to consider academically what is best for you in the long run. Shop around lol

Maybe you should smile more.. because I see having animals as a way to meet people! lol
"Awww cute dog!!"... no one really avoided me when i bought my ferrets to class twice.. in fact they were very curious and talked with me about them.

There are pros and cons to both of the options you have mentioned. Gally would definately provide you with an atmosphere that would increase your skills in ASL, and if your hearing is continuing to deteriorate, that would be a concern.

A larger hearing university would also provide you with a campus life that is more diverse. That can be both an advantage and a drawback. A larger campus will have more students that fall under institutional equity, and therefore, their disability services are probably esiser to access. Chances are, you would not be the only student using a service dog on campus. People are generally more accustomed to seeing other students who are somehow different from themselves, and therefore, are often more tolerant and open on a larger campus. It would also provide you the opportunity to be exposed to more diversity in the student population as well as the faculty population. One the other hand, a very large university can often be very impersonal, as well. Professors who fill a lecture hall with 200 students per class just don't have the time to get to know their students on a one-to-one basis, and students tend to form smaller groups based on the dorm they live in or their major.

A smaller university generally doesn't have as much diversity, and often the disability services are sporadic or insufficient. Sometimes it takes a more assertive personality type to get what they need. The couselor's don't deal with disability on a scale that do the larger universities, and are not as familiar with the variety of accommodations. If the larger university does have a Deaf Studies program, it will generally be more comprehensive.

The students are not exposed to as much diversity, and therefore are sometimes a bit reluctant to approach someone who appears to be a bit different....not just with a disability, but who is very creative, or very intelligent, or just a bit left of center in appearance and manner. It is not because they are particularly unfriendly, but simply because they don't always know how to appraoch. You have to make the effort to take the first step toward opening up to people and developing relationships in this type of atmosphere. Generally, the samller universities will not have as comprehesive a Deaf Studies dept., if they have one at all. Professors will have the potential to get to know their students on a more one-to-one bais because of smaller class size, and therefore, it is often easier to work with them on a case by case basis. It is easier to find a study partner, or someone to work on a project together, and this can often lead to closer friendships.

There are advantages and disadvantages to either setting. It all depends on your goals. Perhaps you have been in the smaller school as long as it served your purposes, and it is time to move on to a larger, more diverse setting that can widen your perspective and increase your opportunity. But that is really something you will have to decide for yourself.

Don't worry about being apprehensive over your decision. Change is always an anxiety producing thing......that's is a natural reaction. By the same token, don't allow the anxiety to keep you from making a change that perhaps you need to make simply because the idea of relocating is a little scary.

The best thing I can tell you is to take all the time you need toconsider all of your options sot hat when you do decide, you can feel sure that you have considered everything, and are confident that you are doing what is in your best interest. I wish you luck.

Thanks Liza and jillio! Yes, I do smile and make it look like I'm not suffering from gas when I do it. :giggle: Seriously, I am as friendly as possible and rarely have a frown on my face. I act friendly and not make it look like I'm running for an elected office. :D The people on my campus are small town people, for the most part. We do have int'l students, but they themselves stick together, although some are friendly and I try to reciprocate.

As for school, I filled out the updated fafsa for Gally to receive it just a few minutes ago. I just hope I can get funding, not only through the feds, but through rehab services, as well. I hope the deaf students see me there and come up to me, not being worried that I am oral. If they can help me "crash course" asl and view me as a friend, I can do whatever they need help with and use my name in networking in the future.

Put a diamond on your front tooth and, maybe they will flock to ya when they see you smile. :giggle:

Put a diamond on your front tooth and, maybe they will flock to ya when they see you smile. :giggle:

Now that's a thought! I would, dear, but the only diamond I had I gave it to you. ;)

Definitly do Gally............What an experiance..........and no more disabilty services that don't know how to serve dhh students, AND you'd get to become totally fluent in Sign.
Oh, and I think while there are some hardliners, most people tend to be very accepting if you have an open mind and want to learn Sign.

Good luck, pete.
I hope you'll get what you need and more. Just go with what you feel is right for you. Enjoy learning ASL again. :)

Definitly do Gally............What an experiance..........and no more disabilty services that don't know how to serve dhh students, AND you'd get to become totally fluent in Sign.
Oh, and I think while there are some hardliners, most people tend to be very accepting if you have an open mind and want to learn Sign.

I was hoping I'd hear from you and Miss Delectable (next one), as I value both your opinions. I'm so glad you know me well enough to read between the lines to see that I am so frustrated and feel like I'm a captain of a ocean-bound ship with no ship hands to pull ropes and other things. My parents are behind me 100 percent, as this is where my mother wanted me to go after high school, but I said no at the time. What a tragic mistake in more ways than I wish to admit. shel was raised the same way I was, so, when she comes in to read, she can relate! I already have my fafsa going there, so I need to start within the week and apply and get all my other transcripts sent. Do you have any friends there now or know someone to start connecting with? Feel free to go to my personal profile and give them my email address. I feel like my days of pulling my hair out are almost over!

Deaf like me . . . finally someone will understand.

Good luck, pete.
I hope you'll get what you need and more. Just go with what you feel is right for you. Enjoy learning ASL again. :)

Thanks, Miss-Delectable! You don't write too much other than the stories you find, some which just blow me away. I don't read all of them, but do try to.

Now that's a thought! I would, dear, but the only diamond I had I gave it to you. ;)

:aw:

Speakin' of Gally, I would encourage you to go. That's the only place you will find a peace and this will give your mind to rest and enjoy whatever they can offer you. I am sure you will learn alot from Gally and meet new friends to help communicatin' with you to improve your ASL. ;)

Thanks Liza and jillio! Yes, I do smile and make it look like I'm not suffering from gas when I do it. :giggle: Seriously, I am as friendly as possible and rarely have a frown on my face. I act friendly and not make it look like I'm running for an elected office. :D The people on my campus are small town people, for the most part. We do have int'l students, but they themselves stick together, although some are friendly and I try to reciprocate.

As for school, I filled out the updated fafsa for Gally to receive it just a few minutes ago. I just hope I can get funding, not only through the feds, but through rehab services, as well. I hope the deaf students see me there and come up to me, not being worried that I am oral. If they can help me "crash course" asl and view me as a friend, I can do whatever they need help with and use my name in networking in the future.

A cautious note...if u do encounter discrimination or rejection from the Gallaudet students at first because you are not "ASL" enough, IGNORE those people...eventually u will find a group of people that u will connect with. With more and more deaf people growing up oral and learning ASL later, it should be easier than it was for me 8 years ago. Sometimes people at Gallaudet can be immature so pls dont let those people get u down if that's all u encounter at first...show them that it is not your fault your ASL is rusty. They have to learn to accept deaf people who didnt grow up with ASL too.

Once u get past that, people at Gallaudet are great and your signing skills are sure to improve!!! :)

Jillo has great advice...shop around but if your heart says Gallaudet, then it is probably the right college for u. If you have doubts about Gallaudet, then maybe check out other colleges.

I went to ASU and their disability services were great and people were more tolerant of diversity. However, due to it being a large university, it was very impersonal and people tend to form cliques.

Good luck!

Thanks, Miss-Delectable! You don't write too much other than the stories you find, some which just blow me away. I don't read all of them, but do try to.

You're right about I not writing my opinion and whatnot as much. I rather save my energy for some worthy threads. :)
Thanks for reading deaf related articles. Happy reading.

Gallaudet sounds like a place to be at the moment. So, I'm certain you'll benefit heaps more than you'd ever realise, one can guess.

Good luck.

If I were in Pek1's shoes then I would go for Gallaudet cuz it seems that his hearing problems filled out most part of his life and are leaving little room for other things.. so I would go to somewhere without much problems when regarding my disability..

*off topic* but I am now like Pek1's situation , losing most of my hearing.. and things have been very frustrating.. very hard :|

Good luck Pek1 :)

well gally is definitely the best place to improve your ASL and I had a cool communications-related class there, but you have to consider academically what is best for you in the long run. Shop around lol

Maybe you should smile more.. because I see having animals as a way to meet people! lol
"Awww cute dog!!"... no one really avoided me when i bought my ferrets to class twice.. in fact they were very curious and talked with me about them.

I second with Liza... Yes, Gallaudet is the best program for you. Pete

You need to learn to be courageous yourself to approach other Deaf people to make new friends.

A cautious note...if u do encounter discrimination or rejection from the Gallaudet students at first because you are not "ASL" enough, IGNORE those people...eventually u will find a group of people that u will connect with. With more and more deaf people growing up oral and learning ASL later, it should be easier than it was for me 8 years ago. Sometimes people at Gallaudet can be immature so pls dont let those people get u down if that's all u encounter at first...show them that it is not your fault your ASL is rusty. They have to learn to accept deaf people who didnt grow up with ASL too.

Once u get past that, people at Gallaudet are great and your signing skills are sure to improve!!! :)

Jillo has great advice...shop around but if your heart says Gallaudet, then it is probably the right college for u. If you have doubts about Gallaudet, then maybe check out other colleges.

I went to ASU and their disability services were great and people were more tolerant of diversity. However, due to it being a large university, it was very impersonal and people tend to form cliques.

Good luck!

Beautiful details as cautioned ! Just let flow yourself to meet other people as natural. It will link you into new friends accept for who you are. ;)

Last edited:
As many of you know, I am a professional student and am aiming at completing my undergrad work in the spring of 2009. With that said, I'm having some problems at the university that I'm at now, not academically, but with others not talking to me, particularly in the dorm. I also have the only dog allowed in the dorms and in classes, which is probably why a lot of students don't want to talk to me. My latest audiogram, done a week ago last Friday, is showing my hearing as deteriorating and my asl skills are rusty and no one in this area (Fargo-Moorhead) is able to help me or obtain more asl classes.

Given that information, what would you do? If you need more information, please ask. My options are to either transfer back to the University of Minnesota-Duluth, where I was a couple years ago, or transfer to Gallaudet? They both have my major, communication studies.

Thanks in advance!
There are some asl classes available in your area

V S A arts of Minnesota - Artist Pipeline 55

Sign language class starts Oct. 6 in Fargo
Forum staff reports
The Forum - 09/14/2003
The North Dakota Association of the Deaf will offer an American sign language class in Fargo starting Oct. 6. For more information about the class, cost and location or to register, call Bernard Rolewitz at (701) 237-5708 TTY. Use the Relay Service at 711.

New Page 1

Also you can do a self study course on-line or just go to aslpro.com and brush up...

Either way best of luck to you!!

*off topic* but I am now like Pek1's situation , losing most of my hearing.. and things have been very frustrating.. very hard :|

*off topic * May I suggest, you need to get this one! You need to put this in your ear, it will help
Bk%20english%20horn.jpg
your hearing better than hearing aid and cochlear implant. :D

I found your wonderful future wife. Do you need her email address, please let me know via PM. I will be glad to introduce her to you.

SeniorWithEarHorn.jpg

*off topic * May I suggest, you need to get this one! You need to put this in your ear, it will help your hearing better than hearing aid and cochlear implant. :D

I found your wonderful future wife. Do you need her email address, please let me know via PM.

SeniorWithEarHorn.jpg

*off topic*
:lol:

who is the 'wonderful' wife ? :naughty: *j/k*

To be honest, you are more lucky than me about hearing..you are deaf so no one expect you to hear.. but I'm hoh and they want me 'action'

:whip:
*back to the topic *

Back