I disagree in movie theater!

I hope you're not serious about discount thing... I'm against discount for the Deaf... Deaf is 99.9% same as hearing except hear part. Please think about it... Discount on the Deaf is like the world is treating Deaf people like they're very low class people as welfare or illegal aliens. I never want to get any discount for cell phone, services, products or anything because I am deaf. I rather to pay in full price just be fair to hearing people. For example, I got MDA and I could get discount such as 32 dollars per monthly payment for being Deaf... I end up paying 75 dollars in full because I want to be treated equal as others not because I am deaf. I expect hearing people to do the same in return.
I agree.

A discount should be given when alternatives are not given.

At a movie theater, they offer open-captioned movies. So, no discount is needed.

I once went to Medieval Times with some friends. Half of the show involves talking and requires listening to understand half of what goes on. Since we were deaf and would not be able to understand everything completely, they offered us a discount (1/3, I think).

I agree.

A discount should be given when alternatives are not given.

At a movie theater, they offer open-captioned movies. So, no discount is needed.

I once went to Medieval Times with some friends. Half of the show involves talking and requires listening to understand half of what goes on. Since we were deaf and would not be able to understand everything completely, they offered us a discount (1/3, I think).

I agree. Anyone should get discount if they don't recevie any service that they requested for just like your example of Medieval Times. :)

Oh my, this is a nice little thread.

I like going to the movies because I like the experience of being able to see it on the big screen. Now yes I am still able to hear somewhat and I can still enjoy a theatre experience, mostly because the sound is loud in there to begin with, in some cases loud as a rock concert.

I have never seen an OC movie around here, but I have to realize where I am at, there is not a large Deaf population so it would not be expected for the theatre to have OC unless it was specifically requested.

In larger cities like Atlanta, Dallas, and DC I would fully expect most large theatres to have an OC theatre available to the HOH/Deaf because there is a larger Deaf population there.

At home when I am watching a movie on AMC or DVD I will often use the caption function so I wont have the TV blaring just so I can hear it.

Yes I do appreciate the accomodations when they are made available upon request but I don't expect anyone to bend over backwards to accomodate my wants and not my needs.

In my opinion, deaf people who go see a movie theatre should get a big discount on the movie ticket. I think it is unfair to pay 8 dollars if they are watching the movie with no closed caption. :pissed:

Most places do. There is a place near here that lets deaf people watch movies for free.

I hope you're not serious about discount thing... I'm against discount for the Deaf... Deaf is 99.9% same as hearing except hear part. Please think about it... Discount on the Deaf is like the world is treating Deaf people like they're very low class people as welfare or illegal aliens. I never want to get any discount for cell phone, services, products or anything because I am deaf. I rather to pay in full price just be fair to hearing people. For example, I got MDA and I could get discount such as 32 dollars per monthly payment for being Deaf... I end up paying 75 dollars in full because I want to be treated equal as others not because I am deaf. I expect hearing people to do the same in return.

:bowdown: Equal treatment doesn't equal special treatment.

This reminds me of when I went crazy trying to explain to some people what a "Family share plan" was on cell phones, and that they shouldn't get a discount because they have more than one sidekick (with data only) on their account, because they aren't sharing anything.

That's nonsense. It's better for deaf people to get a discount. It has nothing to do with a low class. Believe me. They need a pleasure to go to a movie theater and to get off their mind from work.

In fact, it is very common that many deaf employees never get a promotion because it is so simple that they cannot talk on the phone. The bosses really do NOT give a damn if you have a text pager or a relay service. Many bosses hate a relay service because they think that it is a telemarket. So, you better learn how to use the rebates and discounts from now on because you are the minor as a second class (not related middle class). Things are getting expensive especially a house mortgage. The average house mortgage is $350,000. I encourage you not to make a mistake...

Hearing people want the discount, too. We are not alone.

That's nonsense. It's better for deaf people to get a discount. It has nothing to do with a low class. Believe me. They need a pleasure to go to a movie theater and to get off their mind from work.

In fact, it is very common that many deaf employees never get a promotion because it is so simple that they cannot talk on the phone. The bosses really do NOT give a damn if you have a text pager or a relay service. Many bosses hate a relay service because they think that it is a telemarket. So, you better learn how to use the rebates and discounts from now on because you are the minor as a second class (not related middle class). Things are getting expensive especially a house mortgage. The average house mortgage is $350,000. I encourage you not to make a mistake...

Hearing people want the discount, too. We are not alone.

I understand. It is up to you. I rather to pay in full anyway. That is my decision. I am feeling really strongly about it. I rather to stick it with my guts. You do what you think it is best for yourself.

I understand. It is up to you. I rather to pay in full anyway. That is my decision. I am feeling really strongly about it. I rather to stick it with my guts. You do what you think it is best for yourself.

Okay. That's fine with me. I hope that you would not be poor someday after college. I have seen a few deaf people wearing out of style clothes and visited once at their apartment with a lot of cheap furniture as a below level. I was shocked. Two students graduated a college, and I have no idea what was going on. I'm backoff.

Dude, anymore a 4 year degree is going to only get anyone an entry level job at Big Coporation Co. If you want something beyond menial entry level your'e going to need a Master's or Master + x-amt of hours.

With the current cost living, most college grads do live in shitty apartments with cheap furniture because *gasp* they now have to take any job they can find because their first loan payment is due in 6 short months after graduation and it will take them 10 years to pay off the bill. Some have outrageous credit cards debts before leaving, so what I am saying is that the 4 year degree means squat if your finances are not in order. Most people assume that all college grads live in nice houses in the suburbs with nice furniture and a nice vehicle, those that are living that way are likely up to their eyeballs in debt.

Now back to our regularly scheduled programming.

Okay. That's fine with me. I hope that you would not be poor someday after college. I have seen a few deaf people wearing out of style clothes and visited once at their apartment with a lot of cheap furniture as a below level. I was shocked. Two students graduated a college, and I have no idea what was going on. I'm backoff.

Why? Thank you. That doesn't mean every deaf person is going to be poor because of that.

Dude, anymore a 4 year degree is going to only get anyone an entry level job at Big Coporation Co. If you want something beyond menial entry level your'e going to need a Master's or Master + x-amt of hours.

With the current cost living, most college grads do live in shitty apartments with cheap furniture because *gasp* they now have to take any job they can find because their first loan payment is due in 6 short months after graduation and it will take them 10 years to pay off the bill. Some have outrageous credit cards debts before leaving, so what I am saying is that the 4 year degree means squat if your finances are not in order. Most people assume that all college grads live in nice houses in the suburbs with nice furniture and a nice vehicle, those that are living that way are likely up to their eyeballs in debt.

*Nodding* Very well said. That is very true since I know so many people who graduated from college have been though that stage for short term... One of them lasted over 10 years to pay off their student loans and debts. Many of my friends who paid off their debts are often end up living in the luxury or doing well since they got no debts to worry about. In my opinion, most of people who graduated are more likely to be successful just few years after graduation. People needs time to climb up the labber to achieve their goals.

Crybabies? Who are you calling crybabies? Obviously you have no respect for anyone here. If you don't have anything nice to say then just don't say it. Understand?

shut up kid... you dont understand why united states of americans try to give plenty of support for the deaf communities.

Closed Caption theatre is the only beginning you should be fortune luck to have it in usa not like other countries doesnt have like here.

i am hard of hearing and my wife is a deaf we knew what usa give deaf communities plenty of opportunities if u dont like the way at the theatre. what if they try to make a better subtile in the future 10 years from now?
with a closed caption eyeglasses? who know! we have plenty to live here
think about it the way we live inside of usa. think about other countries where are poor deaf communties doesnt things like here!

DO NOT TEST ME GEEZ...

crybabies...

This is the FIRST time I've seen someone say "crybabies" in Alldeaf since I joined on June 2004.

According to the search, there are total of 8 posts of "crybabies" since Alldeaf opened its doors in 2002.

Now, back to the point about this. Here's my advice to you, NEVER call people crybabies. They got the rights. How would you feel if I call you a crybaby? You would get mad, right?

This is the FIRST time I've seen someone say "crybabies" in Alldeaf since I joined on June 2004.

According to the search, there are total of 8 posts of "crybabies" since Alldeaf opened its doors in 2002.

Now, back to the point about this. Here's my advice to you, NEVER call people crybabies. They got the rights. How would you feel if I call you a crybaby? You would get mad, right?

Same here, that's my first time to see like that. :ugh:

I totally agree!

Heck, I have a master's degree and been working for 5 years and now my income is starting to show nice progress. Took me 15 years to get this point! LOL! It doesnt happen overnight and I have debt from being a broke college student. I wasnt born with a silver spoon..had to pay my way thru college so right now things are hard on me financially but in 5 years or so, it should get better. Not easy with high cost of living these days! :pissed:

shut up kid... you dont understand why united states of americans try to give plenty of support for the deaf communities.

Closed Caption theatre is the only beginning you should be fortune luck to have it in usa not like other countries doesnt have like here.

i am hard of hearing and my wife is a deaf we knew what usa give deaf communities plenty of opportunities if u dont like the way at the theatre. what if they try to make a better subtile in the future 10 years from now?
with a closed caption eyeglasses? who know! we have plenty to live here
think about it the way we live inside of usa. think about other countries where are poor deaf communties doesnt things like here!

DO NOT TEST ME GEEZ...

Hmmm... You should say that instead insult everyone here by called us "crybabies". You have already showed us your immature and very uneducated person by called us the names instead express yourself to us with your opinion with the evidences to support your own arguments. :ugh3:

However, if we do nothing about it, it WILL NOT GET ANY BETTER PERIOD! We should DO SOMETHING ABOUT IT to get it better. We, deaf people have the right to enjoy the movies at any times and any movies as we wish to watch it with open caption. Why should we wait for someone to do something about it... HELL NO FRICKING WAY! I wrote a letter to the members of congress to encourage them to pass this bill a while ago. Also I involved collected the petitions to encourage Regal Cinamas in Bend, Oregon to offer open caption since that area had NO open caption since deaf community there is growing... Guess what? We won the fight! Now that movie theatre offering open caption on one film once per week (its not perfect but it is getting much better than ever!).

Any deaf people in any countries than USA should fight for it on their own. They don't need ours help to fight for their rights... They can do it on their own and make huge difference for their countries. If deaf people can do it in USA then they can do it in any countries too!

I don't think you really understand it at all. I doubt that you never do anything good for deaf community.

Back