i curious, how sign your name???

MyNameIsNO

Reaction score
mine, use "A" hand move circular near mouth. my parent make up that sign bec they knows i love talk all time :giggle: my boyfriend Rashid sign KING with "R" hand :)

My whole family is signed by our initials. Why? Because deaf friends know I hate fingerspelling ... guess it is appropriate haha.

Since there were 2 girls in the dorm with the same name...I was given my first and last initial...on my shoulder....

I was given an F fidgeting on the other hand... hard to describe. My nickname in high school was Figit because I was so hyper... so they made that my sign name. I need a new one now that I'm an adult lol

I'm glad to see this thread just because I have not been given a name sign yet and people keep asking me what it is. Being as ASL student, I have been very busy finding avenues for interaction and have joined a Deaf Christian fellowship group. The group has a mixture of deaf, Deaf, Deaf-Blind, and hearing people. The hearing people are all interpreters, with the occasional visitor or interpreting student (like myself). Everyone seems to have a sign name except for me. Several people there have asked me what my sign name is and when I tell them I don't have one, they say either "why not" or "well, you need to get one". In my studies about Deaf culture I read that a hearing person is NOT to create their own name sign, but that it should be given to me by a Deaf person in the group.
So, here I am, several months into socializing with my new friends and I still feel nameless!!! Is it culturally acceptable to give myself a sign name? And if so, how do I choose?

Sign names are given to you. I've heard that sign names given to hearies aren't always very flattering, so I'd be in no hurry! ;)

Mentioned in another thread, I was given my sign name by a member here on AD quite a while back. When I mentioned it to me Deaf Church and Deaf Club, they wanted to observe me for a few weeks and let me know. Then, they agreed that it was good for me.

I don't have sign name, just have to spell out my name Wolfeschlegelsteinhausenberdorft

^^^Absolutely! :giggle:

Adolph Blaine Charles David Earl Frederick Gerald Hubert Irvin John Kenneth Lloyd Martin Nero Oliver Paul Quincy Randolph Sherman Thomas Uncas Victor William Xerxes Yancy Zeus Wolfeschlegelsteinhausenberdorft Sr.,

Adolph Blaine Charles David Earl Frederick Gerald Hubert Irvin John Kenneth Lloyd Martin Nero Oliver Paul Quincy Randolph Sherman Thomas Uncas Victor William Xerxes Yancy Zeus Wolfeschlegelsteinhausenberdorft Sr.,

When I take walks I sign you name sign as a way to practice as I'm new to ASl. But I keep leaving off the last letter (W). :giggle:

My friends from h.s. gave me that name fingerspelled "J" and then "L" same thing signed as " :ily: "

Back