I am proud of myself.

D

Deaf258

I went to get 2 hearing evaluations done this morning. One was for getting my audiogram updated, and the other is to see whether I can get hearing aids or not.

After all the testing was done, they sat me down and said I am a candidate for cochlear implants. They asked me to consider making an appointment to fit hearing aids on me while they do more testing to prepare me for getting a cochlear implant. I was taken aback a little bit because I only came for an audiogram and see if I can use hearing aids or not.

I smiled, "No, thanks! I would rather try regrowing the hair cells than to remove the ear bones from my head. I don't want to permanently lose my residual hearing!"

you made the right decision. and these benighted audiologists got checkmated by your epaulet mate move.

I agree with you.

It's a conspiracy out there! Those audiologists probably make more money referring you to getting cochlear implants than to sell you a normal hearing aid.

I hear just fine with hearing aids, but one of my audiologists tweaked my hearing test a bit enough to say "you qualify for cochlear implants." I'm sitting there thinking... WTF?

Ugh.

It pisses me off to no end when insurance companies would be more willing to cover cochlear implant surgeries rather than to cover hearing aids costs!!

It pisses me off to no end when insurance companies would be more willing to cover cochlear implant surgeries rather than to cover hearing aids costs!!

Yeah, that's what I learned recently. CI costs way more than hearing aids and they cover it and hearing aids are the fraction of the cost and insurance won't cover it. It doesn't make any sense.

While I support your right to make your own choices, for whatever reasons - you DON'T have the bones in your inner ear (hammer/anvil/stirrup) removed when you get implanted with a CI - no bones are removed whatsoever. You might want to read up on what actually happens during CI surgery. Education is never a bad thing.

thumb-1136376835_f.jpg

While I support your right to make your own choices, for whatever reasons - you DON'T have the bones in your inner ear (hammer/anvil/stirrup) removed when you get implanted with a CI - no bones are removed whatsoever. You might want to read up on what actually happens during CI surgery. Education is never a bad thing.

If you think I was misinformed, you're mistaken. All I had to do was watch my exwife's CI surgery tape. I SAW the ear bones were drilled and taken out. I still would rather save my ears for the nerve regrowth therapy than to use a CI surgery that would limit the things I want to do.

Again, I wouldn't want to run into the risk of getting Bell's Palsy, face paralysis, meningitis, exposure to electromagnetic fields, and worst of all, the egomaniacal attitude that I see so prevalent in many (in my estimation of people I have met and known, 90%) CI users! That's the word?? Oh yeah, it is called, "Ethnocentrism"!

If you think I was misinformed, you're mistaken. All I had to do was watch my exwife's CI surgery tape. I SAW the ear bones were drilled and taken out. I still would rather save my ears for the nerve regrowth therapy than to use a CI surgery that would limit the things I want to do.

Again, I wouldn't want to run into the risk of getting Bell's Palsy, face paralysis, meningitis, exposure to electromagnetic fields, and worst of all, the egomaniacal attitude that I see so prevalent in many (in my estimation of people I have met and known, 90%) CI users! That's the word?? Oh yeah, it is called, "Ethnocentrism"!
laugh! that's not earbone. that's mastoid bone *rolls eye* There is no such thing as "ear bone" I mean that word "ear bone" no such thing.

regenerative therapy won't happen for next 10 to 20 years.

Yeah, that's what I learned recently. CI costs way more than hearing aids and they cover it and hearing aids are the fraction of the cost and insurance won't cover it. It doesn't make any sense.
It does make sense because hearing aids is not a "durable medical equipment" and although there are some insurance that will cover hearing aid. you might want to explore and make a switch to that insurance company if you find one. chance are that the premium may not be your liking.

laugh! that's not earbone. that's mastoid bone *rolls eye* There is no such thing as "ear bone" I mean that word "ear bone" no such thing.

regenerative therapy won't happen for next 10 to 20 years.

I don't know the exact name of that bone part (thanks for mentioning that mastoid), nor I care to get an CI put in my head. It was scary enough to see the pieces taken out. My exwife no longer use her CI and misses the residual hearing she had before her surgery.

And thanks for pointing out when regenerative therapy would happen. I can wait that long! ;)

I went to get 2 hearing evaluations done this morning. One was for getting my audiogram updated, and the other is to see whether I can get hearing aids or not.

After all the testing was done, they sat me down and said I am a candidate for cochlear implants. They asked me to consider making an appointment to fit hearing aids on me while they do more testing to prepare me for getting a cochlear implant. I was taken aback a little bit because I only came for an audiogram and see if I can use hearing aids or not.

I smiled, "No, thanks! I would rather try regrowing the hair cells than to remove the ear bones from my head. I don't want to permanently lose my residual hearing!"

I think the audiologist was telling how far you are qualified to get. so that means you can get hearing aids after all. just nicely say, "I am not interested in CI but hearing aids thank you"

I think the audiologist was telling how far you are qualified to get. so that means you can get hearing aids after all. just nicely say, "I am not interested in CI but hearing aids thank you"

That's what I told him. I was a little concerned when the first sentence he said after I finished my evaluations: "My recommendation is for you to get cochlear implant because you're a good candidate."

I prefer to try out the digital hearing aids. I don't know if I would like to hear again. Last time I had hearing aids was back in 1992! I don't miss them at all.

But if I have to get hearing aids because of employment, I wouldn't have a choice.

That's what I told him. I was a little concerned when the first sentence he said after I finished my evaluations: "My recommendation is for you to get cochlear implant because you're a good candidate."

I prefer to try out the digital hearing aids. I don't know if I would like to hear again. Last time I had hearing aids was back in 1992! I don't miss them at all.

But if I have to get hearing aids because of employment, I wouldn't have a choice.
then it is just recommendation. nothing more. you can kindly turn it down and insist hearing aid kindly.

but in your first post, it seems that you panicked. *shrug*

Back