I am proud of myself.

It was a topic on DeafRead a couple weeks ago. If you put "Deaf" on the application, you won't get hired. If you put down "hearing impaired", you'll have a better chance of getting hired.
that's what my other half warned me about before i handed my applications to my interviewers. i had to do that in every application i fill up in. i feel insulted every time i write that down. such is life.

I don't know the exact name of that bone part (thanks for mentioning that mastoid), nor I care to get an CI put in my head. It was scary enough to see the pieces taken out. My exwife no longer use her CI and misses the residual hearing she had before her surgery.

And thanks for pointing out when regenerative therapy would happen. I can wait that long! ;)
You're not the only one.

I have friends who have similar regrets.

Unbelievable...
faint.gif

Mod Note:

Thread re-opened.

Please stay on topic and don't bring up any personal issue from another thread. Thanks.

Last edited:
It pisses me off to no end when insurance companies would be more willing to cover cochlear implant surgeries rather than to cover hearing aids costs!!

I am afraid yes.. It's same here in Germany as well. No wonder, why hearing parents implant their babies and toddlers more and more... which is not right... :(

Yeah, that's what I learned recently. CI costs way more than hearing aids and they cover it and hearing aids are the fraction of the cost and insurance won't cover it. It doesn't make any sense.

I know and I dont understand it either...it is like they the message is "If u want to hear, get a CI or too bad! "

I am lucky that my insurance will pay for my HAs but have to go thru so much red tape and justification. I almost got denied cuz I work in a signing environment all day but I used my hearing children as a justification. Pretty pathetic, isnt it? :roll:

If insurance are willing to pay for CIs, fine...but pls pay for HAs too?

If insurance are willing to pay for CIs, fine...but pls pay for HAs too?

Right on Shel! Can't find insurance to pay for HA 100% nor eye glasses. My insurance will cover one HA - first $600. providing I use the products of their choice. I never got into investigating on this but I totally disagree with their policy. This is very expensive for the parents of HOH children who need HA more often than adults. Suzi

Oh, I have no problem with that kind of testing on cats. But my deaf cat doesn't want an implant. He's proud to be deaf. :D

Okay, he has no clue there's even hearing. But that's fine. He's sweet!

Oh, I have no problem with that kind of testing on cats. But my deaf cat doesn't want an implant. He's proud to be deaf. :D

Okay, he has no clue there's even hearing. But that's fine. He's sweet!

LOL! That's so cute! :)

My avatar is a pic of a Deaf cat undergoing experiments and testing for cochlear implants. It's real.

I would never do that to my cat!

That cat does NOT look happy. Poor thing.

I know! That's why I felt it was unnecessary for it to get CI. I'd be pissed, too.

Wonder if people who support it become animals in their next life and get research tests done on them? I would be scared shitless. LOL!

Wonder if people who support it become animals in their next life and get research tests done on them? I would be scared shitless. LOL!

It reminds me of a nightmare I had the night before my rat Mitzy died. I was a rat in this dream and having an LD50 test done on me. It's the test where they are slowly poisoned to death. It was HORRIBLE!

It might sound weird but I think Mitzy was a lab rat in her last life and was remembering her past experiences and some how got to be in my dreams because I am human in my usual dreams. This time I was a rat.

It would be quite fitting for those cruel scientists who test on animals to be a lab animal in their next life although hopefully one day there will cease to be any more lab animals.

That's why I'm gonna be a fly on the wall in my next life, lol. And be Alex's star reporter!

I went to get 2 hearing evaluations done this morning. One was for getting my audiogram updated, and the other is to see whether I can get hearing aids or not.

After all the testing was done, they sat me down and said I am a candidate for cochlear implants. They asked me to consider making an appointment to fit hearing aids on me while they do more testing to prepare me for getting a cochlear implant. I was taken aback a little bit because I only came for an audiogram and see if I can use hearing aids or not.

I smiled, "No, thanks! I would rather try regrowing the hair cells than to remove the ear bones from my head. I don't want to permanently lose my residual hearing!"
You are right! it is similar for us, the deaf persons, in France... but one here respects the others with their cochlear implants . I prefre the hearing aids in all cases!

Angel - in the surgery, a small incision is made in the skin just behind the ear and the surgeon drills into the mastoid bone and the inner ear where the electrode array is inserted into the cochlea. The surgeon then shapes a shallow depression in the mastoid bone with the drill to seat the internal processor. No bones are removed.

GR2006010900784.gif

Some information on CI surgery:

Google Image Result for http://media3.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/graphic/2006/01/09/GR2006010900784.gif

Cochlear Implant Central - How a CI Works

No bones are removed, exactly, angel--they just drill holes through it!

Back