I am currently gathering information on how deaf people manage their condition

Orpse

Reaction score
I am helping a team develop new a Augmented Reality visual aid to help lip read.

Please could this community help me out with a few questions I have. Anyone can answer; any input would be greatly appreciated.

1.) When communicating with someone, how much information do you retrieve from just the mouth area? Do you focus on more areas? Which areas would you say contribute to understanding speech?

2.) When trying to talk to someone what would you say is the biggest problem is when trying to understand speech? Eg If the person mumbles?

3.) Do deaf people have different techniques in which to read lips?

4.) Would a device that reads lips for you and consolidates the information into text sound appealing or useful? The device would be built to work within sunglasses and contact lenses.

5.) If you could imagine a technology like this, what would your one user suggestion be as a deaf person.

I am helping a team develop new a Augmented Reality visual aid to help lip read.

Please could this community help me out with a few questions I have. Anyone can answer; any input would be greatly appreciated.

1.) When communicating with someone, how much information do you retrieve from just the mouth area? Do you focus on more areas? Which areas would you say contribute to understanding speech?

2.) When trying to talk to someone what would you say is the biggest problem is when trying to understand speech? Eg If the person mumbles?

4.) Would a device that reads lips for you and consolidates the information into text sound appealing or useful? The device would be built to work within sunglasses and contact lenses.

5.) If you could imagine a technology like this, what would your one user suggestion be as a deaf person.

It would be a lot better if they just wrote the communication.

How would that work with glasses or contact lenses? Like a little led screen with the text running by? I would fall down trying to read this.

Since I am probably going to need to write down what I am saying to someone who doesn't know me, what is the benefit to me? It makes it easier for them I guess, but it seems of limited usefulness.

I don't think I'd like that at all. My eyes would keep changing focus from the person to wherever the text is appearing. Like Botts, I'd rather write if it really came down to a complete failure to communicate otherwise.

This idea a little hard to imagine without a mock up image of how the technology would work. The point of our research is to see if deaf people have a need. And if there isnt then we will just go back to the drawing board :)

Ideally the device would be for when conditions arent perfect for the user to lip read and for someone who has become profoundly deaf at a later stage in life that doesnt know how to read people accurately.

The output text would be positioned in a "futuristic" manner, aside the person speaking. The things that can be done with augmented reality technology is amazing, so try think of the text as unobtrusive and it fits neatly in your vision at distance.

I'm sorry, I like my condition just fine, because I don't have a condition.

A bit of a note Orpse, be careful with how you word things around here because alot of us deaf people will find some words you say possibly offensive while you may think your being respectful.

There's a good amount of us that doesn't like other people believing we're just worthless or not capable when we are just the same as hearing people. We just communicate differently. We hear with our eyes.

To me it would make more sense to have the technology to turn spoken words into written words by sound instead of lipreading. But I will try to answer your questions. Alot of times the person isn't looking at you and talking so if you can lip read it is still useless. But I will try to answer your questions.

I retrieve all of my information from the persons mouth area. I never look anywhere else or I miss what they are saying. I went to an audi for a hearing test recently he was giving me the voice word test and I could see him but he held up a peice of paper in front of his mouth and I could still read him by the way his cheek and nose moved. I guess it is all of it but I would have never known if he hadn't of done this.

We have to be able to hear a little bit to lip read I read somewhere once that only 30% of the english language is readable, hearing other sounds and the movement of the mouth and face make up the rest of it which we then just puzzle together to make sense. That is why if it is something off the wall it is harder to read than if it is known subject they are talking about. There is a little guess work to it. It is hard to explain.

I think a product like this you explained I also would not use. Being on glasses or contacts just throws me off. I am hard of hearing not deaf and I think the market you would be in with something like this would be the HOH. Most deaf know Sign language and I will let them speak for themselves but I can tell you we are alike but very different. HOH people alot of them (not all) are late deafened with no or little knowledge of asl.

If you could make something hand held that would caption the speaker that would be AWESOME!! I wouldn't need it in glasses, I could take it to meetings and the movies and school functions I would use it all the time. Having to be able to see the speaker the whole time makes something that lipreads not ideal

A bit of a note Orpse, be careful with how you word things around here because alot of us deaf people will find some words you say possibly offensive while you may think your being respectful. There's a good amount of us that doesn't like other people believing we're just worthless or not capable when we are just the same as hearing people. We just communicate differently. We hear with our eyes. I don't think I'd like that at all. My eyes would keep changing focus from the person to wherever the text is appearing. Like Botts, I'd rather write if it really came down to a complete failure to communicate otherwise.

Good luck in creating something like that. They have tried to do with converting speech into text. It doesn't always work because of many accents. What if the guy has a thick mustache? Untrimmed mustache?

i retrieve tongue from the mouth area, often while sharing an ice cream, so no speech during it would be reduced to ooohs and aahhhs and gushing sometimes hissing...well sort off, only difference is i cant hear it, i can FEEL the lips-talk during contact

if the lips mumbles, theres something wrong the device should warn of possible contamination and health risk, in other words, have a flash blue light to signal the call off. So this is a problematic area of the infra red device to detect and discern the range of health status prior to extreme close contact

we can see more swelling and sweating and its signals for the nodes, dips or drips and peaks to come, no need to hear the encouragement, dryness or wetness is usually suffice so we do it faster because we already know what we saw

Texts to direct how tongue would be used is suffice. Installment of miniaturised Infra-red lens is vital as it would be greatly helpful to see and read heat signatures of the carnel thus reading more accurately when would the nearest proximation of the length of duration of contact, coupled with accurate moisture content readings is required for assistance in tongue work to help reach the goal of the desired end result

indeed, this assisting technology product would be recomended for long period use in dark environment, therefore prior to use, always prepare the receiver to position themselves to be very relaxed, and to remind them to expect occassional momentuarily contact with plastic, so they do not think its someone else.

Last edited:
A bit of a note Orpse, be careful with how you word things around here because alot of us deaf people will find some words you say possibly offensive while you may think your being respectful. There's a good amount of us that doesn't like other people believing we're just worthless or not capable when we are just the same as hearing people. We just communicate differently. We hear with our eyes. I don't think I'd like that at all. My eyes would keep changing focus from the person to wherever the text is appearing. Like Botts, I'd rather write if it really came down to a complete failure to communicate otherwise.

How odd. This is the 2nd time I've seen this poster do this today. Copying and pasting other peoples posts and posting it word-for-word as her own. Or are my eyes playing tricks on me?

A bit of a note Orpse, be careful with how you word things around here because alot of us deaf people will find some words you say possibly offensive while you may think your being respectful.

There's a good amount of us that doesn't like other people believing we're just worthless or not capable when we are just the same as hearing people. We just communicate differently. We hear with our eyes.

How odd. This is the 2nd time I've seen this poster do this today. Copying and pasting other peoples posts and posting it word-for-word as her own. Or are my eyes playing tricks on me?

She has extra though. And I think it came from another thread...

No, the extra came from BeachGirl. Weird....

She has extra though. And I think it came from another thread...

No, the extra came from BeachGirl. Weird....

Yes, and right in this thread. The other time I caught this earlier today was when this poster copied my own post.

Yes, and right in this thread. The other time I caught this earlier today was when this poster copied my own post.

same poster? they may not understand the quote button?

Don't know. But he/she doesn't add anything of their own. Just a copy/paste of other people's posts and passes it off as their own response? I don't know.

Back