I am currently gathering information on how deaf people manage their condition

read it again lol

What do you think being deaf or HOH is? It is not a disease that you treat with medicine! And Go away , I am sick of people coming here to do their research. The only condition I am having right now is dealing with people asking ignorance questions!

Well...my "condition" today is this darn ear infucktion.....and :hmm:...have they invented these little hats that have lights on them with closed captions that hearies can wear whenever a hearie is talking to a deafie?...I might be interested....as long as it has a remote to go with it....

And how about smoke signals that hearies can blow out of their azzes whenever a deafie cannot understand all that mumble-jumble? :hmm:

To me it would make more sense to have the technology to turn spoken words into written words by sound instead of lipreading.

<snip>

We have to be able to hear a little bit to lip read I read somewhere once that only 30% of the english language is readable, hearing other sounds and the movement of the mouth and face make up the rest of it which we then just puzzle together to make sense.

+1.

Orpse, perhaps your new device could use some visual processing to help make the speech recognition more accurate.

You had mentioned something about placing the captions near the person in a "futuristic" manner. Placement would be very important.

Once I had to handle a matter in small claims court. I had a CART reporter who transcribed everything on a laptop for me -- but it was still a difficult situation as far as communication went. Since I had to keep reading the laptop screen, I kept missing out on all the body language and facial expressions. It was like everyone else had a full communication experience and I was getting the e-mail version. I was still at a disadvantage.

So, your project may be of help, but it probably still won't be equivalent to direct communication or an interpreted one with sign.

FWIW, I think it would still be worth doing though. Good luck!

Last edited:
no, wait this technology will rended interpreter redundant, and it might help Deaf culture....

but for the *lipreading needs* I described is more universal and sure will be a hit, hell you might see ALOT of spectacles wearers in bars and nightclubs , because the craze for heat-seeking method of checking out has REALLY taken off!

Last edited:
yes lipreading but it does have serious flaws for example lipreading a person who says "42" may be mistaken for bad word "fu" etc so does "15" and "50" same lip movment i often mistakes them lol

Is this person for real? "How Deaf people manage their condition?" I already showed this to 30 plus other Deaf people and most of them were INSULTED. Maybe he or she meant well but I'm reluctant to help educate someone who obviously is clueless. Sorry to trash this but like the others have said..."I LIKE my condition just fine".

Back