I am angry with parents

RedheadGrrl said:
I want to tell you the story of my beloved friend (rest in peace) and her 3 kids.

I met her at community college when we were students, we were chatting and I asked her how did she knew ASL. She told me the story. I was so impressed with her.

She gave a birth second child a girl. She found out her daughter was deaf. She didn't know what to do. She decided to bring her daughter to infant programs at deaf school. She learned sign language and wanted her older hearing son to know sign language. In a year later, she was pregnant again, and it was a hearing daughter. She kept learn ASL and taught her 3 kids. Also use ASL 24/7 at home or in public, etc.. She told me she wanted her kids to communicate to each other and didn't want her deaf daughter to feel left out. Every times her daughter couldn't understand what hearing ppl were saying, she asked her mother. My friend told her what ppl said. She was involved in deaf community and was an interpreter. She was a great mother to the kids. The kids surely missed their mother.

My friend, you are great friend, and mother to deaf community and the kids. I miss you surely.. :hug: my friend :angel:

How did she died?

This whole material world is an illusion anyway

Hi. I'm not deaf but found the postings really interesting. This material world is a problem for everyone, hearing, or not. No one can escape birth, death, diseases and old age. We, as a human species are evolving through "consciousness." There are so many reasons why parents are the way they are just as there is so much hate, war and cruelty going on especially now because we are going through a lot of labor pains right now as a human species.

In ancient India, leaders were more spiritually connected and all the citizens were prosperous, happy and protected. They believed in God, a Supreme being, and trust me, there is a God who is a transcendental Person and why things happen to people is a very deep subject matter.

Some people are born blind, or with Down's syndrome. Some people die at a very young age while others live to 100. Why life seems so unfair is also a very deep subject matter but know for certain that we are coming closer to being a more fully spiritual society.

The subject of karma is very deep, unfathomable. Why is someone rich and another poor? Why is one handicapped and another born with beauty, money without having to struggle? Why do planes crash? Why is there war? Why were we born? Where did we come from as eternal souls and where will we go after death? Is there reincarnation? Have we lived many, many lives before and if so, how do we know? Where is the evidence for all of this?

There is evidence for all of this in the ancient sanskrit texts known as the "Vedas." And although hearing, ("sravanam" in Sanskrit) is essentiual for attaining this transcendental knowledge (Veda means knowledge) but it is not mundane knowledge like we learn in school. You don't have to hear because spiritual activity is dynamic and God witnesses everything we do because He sits next to our individual soul, "jiva" as the "supersoul". In other words we are emanations or expansions of God's consciousness. Therefore, we as living entities are eternal by nature. You can't see the soul, it is 1/10 thousandth the size of a tip of a hair, atomic in size. You cannot see it with the naked eye yet it is located in the heart and is what permeates our bodies with animation, consciousness, that is, thinking, feeling and willing. The body is just an outer covering and will be gone today or tomorrow, right? But the soul proper, which has it's own separate spiritual body, or form "rupam" in Sanskrit, never dies but takes on body after body in many incarnations according to one's "karma" (or works) in this life, pious or impious. I know this is heavy, but think about it. We are not our bodies anyway. Now, if we are not our bodies than how do we control what body we will get in our next births? Do we have any control at all?? We've had many bodies, many parents and many children in male and female bodies in thousands of births so how do we get out of this cycle of birth an death and go to where there is no more rebirth, but pure spiritual bliss where there is no birth, death, diseases and old age? This science is the next great awakening for mankind and for the entire universe. Can anyone follow this?

I have a deaf son

And would do ANYTHING for him to succeed! He is my world! He was born 16 weeks early. I don't know what "made" him deaf, but he is. My family, friends and co-workers support what my husband and I are doing. My son, Christian, received a cochlear implant in April, turn on in May and is going to an Oral school (Desert Voices in Phoenix). He's very smart! His teacher is very impressed with how he's doing already! He's only 16 1/2 mos old!
Stephanie

mirclemama, many of us are happy that we learned how to hear and speak.
There's nothing wrong with that....very few of us here are extreme radicals who refuse to wear hearing aids/CIs and who advocate ASL only....many of us are just venting b/c parents of dhh kids today are being told a lot of the same stuff our parents were told, twenty or ten years ago....we're venting b/c we really really want to help parents of today advoid the mistakes that our parents made with us (therapy as lifestyle, thinking that oral only would grant us ALL the privilages of the hearing world, etc etc) many of our parents today say that they wish they'd used Sign with us...we're just trying to help. No dhh kid should have to ask their parents why they never learned sign...sign can be freeing and fun! If you're demanding that your child learn to hear and speak, then meet him halfway and learn sign! You won't regret it!

miraclemama said:
And would do ANYTHING for him to succeed! He is my world! He was born 16 weeks early. I don't know what "made" him deaf, but he is. My family, friends and co-workers support what my husband and I are doing. My son, Christian, received a cochlear implant in April, turn on in May and is going to an Oral school (Desert Voices in Phoenix). He's very smart! His teacher is very impressed with how he's doing already! He's only 16 1/2 mos old!
Stephanie

I hope that you and your husband will use ASL sign language at home...my own opinion is not to put any deaf child at oral school...it will not help at all...I dont care what teacher says...teacher just want you to bring your child for money...not for education...

I am deaf and speak very well...I also uses ASL...I believe in mainstreaming school is the best option for the deaf children...they can take hearing classes with an interpreter...if they have problem with one or two subjects..can go to deaf class...I noticed alot of deafies who went to mainstreaming are the smartest...that is my opinion...

My advice do not take any teacher's advices from oral school...Putting your child at oral school without sign language wont do any good at all...your child will be confused with lip reading, will feel lost without sign language.

Im a hearing parent!! My oldest son is fluent in signed english(well, getting there, he is a six year old with his own agenda) and we are learning ASL together through a private charter school that incorperates signed english and ASL(You have no idea how hard I fought with the school district to get my son into this school!!! In fact they did not want him in that school because it wasnt "total communication"... they wanted to keep him in the school district, teach him how to read lips, they put him in a hearing classroom(mainstreaming), where he had a translator(IN KINDERGARTEN!!??

Isnt that a little early to make those kind of expectations on a child who just wants to make friends and glue cotton onto paper?) I had to fight with the school district and hire an attorney to help me find all my rights and get full advantage of them. Three years into it my son is finally in an all signing environment, getting the help he deserves and needs to become a successful deaf man in the community.

The school also has him in thier soccer and football for the school year. It warms my heart. Once I thought my child didnt have a fighting chance, now all of our dreams are being realized.

I also agree 100%. Im heartbroken to see so many hearing parents feeling so down about thier own children. My children are my life. I couldnt ever imagine trying to change them or feel down about who they are. It boggles me.

On another note, alot of us arent fully informed about getting help learning sign language. We are pressured into putting implants into our kids heads, teaching them how to become oral and not given enough information about our rights and the rights of our children.

Alot of times the deaf community seems so scarse, because its not everywhere, hearing communities are everywhere. We have to go *find* our resources and contacts, because unfortunately, we arent handed a little booklet at our children's births.

I know when I first began the deaf community was like a secret society of elites, and I wasnt invited. I felt discouraged as a parent... alone and afraid to venture foreward.

Initially, and I know not all deaf people are the same...when my son was first diagnosed, I went online to a support group to ask about excersises I could use to teach my son more sign, and I was told to give him up for adoption to a deaf family who would know and understand him... encouraging? Not really.

It was my own vice that got our family where it is today, very strong in the deaf community where we are, and very comfortable living as a "deaf family"(Even though my bf and I are not deaf).

Please dont put every hearing parent down. Some of us work so hard to give our children a fighting chance. I sit at home and learn deaf culture, different icons of deaf society and plan to take my son on vacation to those landmarks to teach him about the accomplishments of deaf individuals throughout history... and am currently in training to be a sign interpretor, so when my kids are ready for college we can make that transition to gaulladet university, and I can be thier translator full time. When James turns 10 we will take our first initial visit there to visit the area and the school.

I do know what you mean, though. I see hearing parents implant thier kids, put in hearing aides(that obviously dont work), get lip reading coaches, cry endlessly about thier children's "problem"... It irritates and saddens me. I want to scream out, JUST LEARN SIGN LANGUAGE!, give your kids and yourselves a break... its bad enough they have to deal with the harrassment of hearing kids at school and in public(and omg, they do! People are cruel and sick, IMO), now they have to endure the same traumas at home with the two(or one) person they love and trust? Its a death warrant, if you ask me.

Right now I am a part of a coalition at my college. We are spreading deaf awareness across our city to hearing people. Showing them where to find resources to learn sign language, and offering tutoring for a small fee to fund deaf culture trips for the groups and thier families across the US once a year.

I do this for my children, because I have hope in thier lives and thier future. In my head I know that if one more person learns sign, thats one more person that my son can communicate with, one more person that has opened thier mind a little more, and one more step to what seems like a very deep, very dark river to cross for alot of us hearing parents of deaf children.

All Im asking is for you to open your mind to the fact that raising a kid is a mind boggling adventure, and then the sudden introduction of something foreign to us comes along.
We all get swayed by alot of hearing professionals of hearing loss that initially we hang on to because we dont know where else to turn... and some of us continue to battle that ground(implanting, hearing aides, learning to read lips and speak, not encouraging sign language), and some of us want to explore more and find whats best for our kids(embracing sign language and deaf community)

I really dont know what else to say, but please dont put us all in the same tiny box. I struggle with these stupid school district people on a daily basis, with ignorant doctors who tell me my kids wont amount to anything without hearing aides or an implant, even with deaf people who tell me to give my children up for adoption because Ill never give them what a deaf family can give them... I deal with this on a daily basis.

I DO know sign, I DO love my children, and I WILL continue to try to GIVE them the best, most successful life possible. Ive relocated three states to find my oldest son the best school out there, and will gladly do it again if needed. and that school is an all deaf charter school(Most of the staff is Deaf or HOH, all signing). Id never change my life or my children for anything....

katt.

I complaint the negative over my deafness to my parents when I was a little girl. All what they do is take my negative away and give me the positives over my deafness. They made alot of positive into my life, that's what I thank my parents to show me how to accept positive things. I'm happy the way what I am and accept the cons/pros between hearing and deaf.

It's sad to see some of parents negative their children over their deafness. I see it myself that the children/adult complaint over their deafness which it's sad.

I was like :confused: when I saw my hubby's parents negative over deafness to us. I told MIL friendly way why she keep on complaint since my hubby can do everything... *shake the head*

Sabrina said:
Blame parents ??? From my point of view, the children grew up where they went to Deaf, mainstream or oral schools. They taught them how to manner or not...

Yes, we learn how to be manner behavior at school and Germany, not my family.

For example, I went to my friends's wedding few years ago. We did not get any thank you cards from them what we had given a good gifts. How could they do to us? How could they learn how to manner to writing a formal Thank You cards ?

Oh dear... I created a card to thank the guests to come and celebrate my hubby's 50th birthday last December 2004. I never have anyone who never thank us by sending cards like this in my life. I can image how you feel. It's hurt... Deafies must have known how to treat guests in manner way... Occchh

Give a person a riding home in hour hour. Did not say thank you.

Oh dear!!! Your story remind me... British behavior is total different as Germans. Here in Germany no... I was like wow that Germans know how behavior in manner ways. I never have the problems with Germans since 1985 because they know how to treat in manner way. Somethings like that when we took our friends anywhere for outing trips. They treat us in the resturants, Cafe or ice cream which it's good.
If anyone didn't treat us even once so we made excuse or give them the remark why we won't take them for any further trips on next time to save any fights/hassle that they must realize that they should not treat us as taxi driver because the petrol here in Europe are terrible expensive. That teach them lesson for not take us for the grant.
I alway treat my friends when I visit them for holiday like that ice creams, little presents, cafe, fast resturants, etc. etc. because I thank them for have their time to show us around etc. My Dad took us to Legoland Amusement Park. We treated him in the resturant to thank him to make our day happy.

I notice, some of them who grew up in mainstream or oral schools. Did not do inappropriated to saying, excuse me, thank you or let other people's home that they cancel their plan or come in late, etc... no manner...

Show up at family's dinner time without any call. They expect us to feeding them a dinner with us. We were not invited them. They have to wait in the living room until we ate finish our dinner.

How dare they do rude to other people ?? Do their parents or school responsbility to teaching them how to manner ?? :-o

Yeah, your story remind me of in England at long time ago... It's exactly same problem what you describe about.
Germans don't like unexpect visitors. All what we do is fax to make an arrangement when will we see each other.............
Germans way is give me flowers and bottle of wine for my hubby and little money for my children when they visit to us for afternoon coffee/evening snack. I told them to not give me anything when we become good friends. Germans way is total different as British.
Something like that my son Danny said "thank you" to my British hearing Dad when he gave him the present. My Dad was like :eek: and told Danny to not say "thank you" or "please" to him because he don't like formal way. It got Danny :confused: and why my Dad don't like it... I went to my Dad and talk him in private and told him to accept if my children say thank you or please to him because it's my way of upbringing. My Dad said nothing and respect me. I remember how it was start when I learn how to behaviour in manner way where I learn from school. My familiy was like :eek: and told me off to not say thank you and please to them because it sound "snobby" to them. They laughed at me when I said "thank you"... or "please" .. You see that my hearing family didn't know how to be behavior in manner way... I'm glad that I learn alot from school and then in Germany, too. I think it's something do with parent's upbringing, not just deaf but hearing, too.

Well it's not just deaf but hearing, too. I know some of hearings who didn't know how do with manner behavior.

I teach my children to thank/please people when they receive something from them... The children learn from their parents's behavior how to treat their guests in manner way.

a four stupid guys didnt said none of one words... I think they probably felt so guilty for make a fun of me and my daughter ( i am not very good math but i read over again and it is not three months old and i am duh ...... it is three day old brand new daughter )
my mother and i are very closer relationships... so my dad too !!!!!!!!!

I was mad at my mom about money for paying bills. Oh well that is life but that sucks.

I have to say, when asked what I want for my son, that I want him to have the very best! I don't mean the best that money can buy. I mean in life. I want my son (who has a cochlear implant and is profoundly deaf) to do what he wants to do. To be who he wants to be. I, in no way, want to put down the deaf community by getting my son a cochlear implant. I did learn sign and use it when I need to. He just doesn't use it. I have a gal from Early Intervention that comes to my house every week to teach me sign. I belong to several "deaf" groups. I learn what I can about it. I want people to ask me questions about my son, his history and his current "medical situation". I hope that a couple "bad apples" don't spoil it for the rest of us, who only want what's best for our children.

I have to say....

HelloKittyGal said:
There was never EVER a time that my hearing mother (divorced) said I couldn't do anything. My father never did either, but I did not live with him the past 11 years, so I cannot say anything else. He does encourage me to stay in college though.

The only times when my mother just frustrated me is when I was always quiet around her friends and social settings. She never could understand my frustration why I remained quiet and not verbalize. It's because people were hard to lipread, and I just did not want to put up with the 'not understanding' frustration. I would tell her several times, but I don't think she believed me 100 percent. She wanted me to be what I describe 'a huge butterfly' in the social aspect. I told her to read 2 books (Yes You can, Heather! and Wired for Sounds by Beverly Bidderman, she could use reading Listening to My Heart, too) to help her understand many of my frustration as a deaf person, but she never read them. She never reads anything I tell her to read! If I leave it on the table for her to read, it's still laying around unread! It can be frustrating, but she never told me I couldn't do anything. The only person who said I couldn't do things is me.

She never let me be embarrassed about my deafness, but I remember one time when they took pictures of me...my earmolds were exposed, and I remember her being very angry and wanted them redone. I remember not understand what was so shameful about them. I think I was about 5. To this day, she still 'suffers' if I wear earmolds. She doesn't disallow me to wear earmolds or expose my hearing aids, but she says that it's painful for her to see my earmolds. That.... is something I could never understand--her pain.

I believe that many parents of deaf children should have some monthly classes to help them cope. I have learned as I grew older that there are meetings at local hospitals about it and many online sites to learn about deaf children, but my mother was not the type of person to be motivated to search out those things. I don't think they are things that OCCURED to her to find out.

I used the "nude" earmolds for my son. I wasn't trying to hide anything, but that is just what I chose for him. However, now that he has a cochlear implant, I do not mind. I put the red cover on or the blue. We had pics taken when he still had hearing aids and I made sure that they were on. I don't care if people see them. It's part of you. Just like glasses. You don't take them off for pictures, if you can't see. So, why would you take off your "ears"? Doesn't make sense! Just wanted to give my opinion!

My parents were like this. Pretty much, there was a very bad thing about me being deaf. I wasn't born deaf but when I lost my hearing, the world ended. They tried everything to get me to think it was wrong to be deaf in a "hearing world." But I think the important thing is that you just move on and do stuff with your life to prove this thinking is wrong.

i am lucky to have parents like mine when they found out that i was deaf when i was 3 the reason why they discover i was deaf later than they thought it would be is cuz my health was bad after i was born and got worse until they decide that i need surgery to correct the problem and i got better then they found out and they began to accpet my deafness and they talked what was best for me it was my dad who research deaf preschools and found one for me with sign langauge program and they decide that sign langauge was best for me they were RIGHT it was best !!!!!! my mother start to learn how to sign when i brought home everyday with new signs my brother and my sister had learn from me i am lucky to communicate with them my dad was not so lucky to learn cuz he was so busy while i was little cuz he was away lot traveling across country he is not a trucker lol he was a businessman but while i was growing up my family have chance to travel with my dad and learning about our country and how it grow to be a country and visit some interesting places and taught me how to travel and i still travel and the years went by and i have make lot of friends until one day i moved to other state and it start to go downhill for me (but i kept in touch with my 2 very good friends of mine i was bridesmaid in one of my friend's wedding almost 9 years ago) they found "afterschool" stuff for me to do i was so thankful they hate to see me depressed they let me go visit friends and travel i went on my first cruise trip last year they let me go i had fun

moonflower

I had hearing parents and my step father would and still does make fun of me. When I ask him to repeat himself he gets all snotty and goes 'huh' 'what' and 'I can't hear you' so I frankly just gave up on talking to him

Alisteal,

If your step Dad still ongoing mak'n fun of you.. Just ignore him.. useless.. He is truly have no respect you at all.. How he is treat you hell. Not worth have him around you.. Until he smarten up and respect you back first..

On another note, alot of us arent fully informed about getting help learning sign language. We are pressured into putting implants into our kids heads, teaching them how to become oral and not given enough information about our rights and the rights of our children.

Alot of times the deaf community seems so scarse, because its not everywhere, hearing communities are everywhere. We have to go *find* our resources and contacts, because unfortunately, we arent handed a little booklet at our children's births.
Agreed....the pressure is pretty much about getting dhh kids oral oral oral....god, there's even a foundation to promote oral-only.
On the upside, there are parents who are VERY openminded about sign...like I think the old fashioned parent of oral child is definitly on their way out...Hearing parents simply want their dhh kids first language to be English...and there is NOTHING wrong with that! It's just that parents who are all audist and "hearing world is the best" are just so....aggravating.
I did learn sign and use it when I need to. He just doesn't use it. I have a gal from Early Intervention that comes to my house every week to teach me sign. I belong to several "deaf" groups. I learn what I can about it. I want people to ask me questions about my son, his history and his current "medical situation". I hope that a couple "bad apples" don't spoil it for the rest of us, who only want what's best for our children.
*waves hands in applause* YAY!!!!! We need more kidcentered approaches like these. Miriclemama, those of us who are ranting here, aren't anti- oral or anti-hearie....we're just ranting against parents who have totally bought into the crap that going oral will give dhh kids all the privilages of the hearing world.....and that giving a dhh kid a second language is going to "cripple" them somehow. It could very well be that your son doesn't want to sign...there are some kids who don't want to sign....Continue signing with him...he may pick it up later...It's a very useful tool, and can really serve as a clarifier and everything. Normalize sign...make sure your son knows that Sign's an OK option...does he know other folks who Sign? Sometimes little kids with little to no exposure to sign in their day to day lives don't sign, b/c they don't see it as "normal" (eg nobody else signs...so it's making me "different") I definitly applaud you for taking this route, and I wish more parents of dhh kids raised their kids the way you're rasing yours!

I have to say, when asked what I want for my son, that I want him to have the very best! I don't mean the best that money can buy. I mean in life. I want my son (who has a cochlear implant and is profoundly deaf) to do what he wants to do. To be who he wants to be. I, in no way, want to put down the deaf community by getting my son a cochlear implant. I did learn sign and use it when I need to. He just doesn't use it. I have a gal from Early Intervention that comes to my house every week to teach me sign. I belong to several "deaf" groups. I learn what I can about it. I want people to ask me questions about my son, his history and his current "medical situation". I hope that a couple "bad apples" don't spoil it for the rest of us, who only want what's best for our children.
I guess another question for hearing parents, who have chosen oral-only is why "the best" very often means "not signing"
I've heard from tons of hearing parents who have opted for oralism, and almost all of them say they want the best for their kids.....So why does the best mean not Signing?

Back