I am against oralism because....

I recalled back in 1969 or 1970 at ISD that I was new at the deaf school. Knew no sign and spoken word at all when I first enrolled in the preschool.

There was a teacher who forced us wearing big hearing aids and demanded us not to sign at all but hear her speaking while showing us the chalkboard on something else. I couldn't understand a word by her and sign language by kids outside classes even.

Anyway, there was a-b-c fingerspelling posters on the wall above the chalkboards so I looked and practicing fingerspelling. That teacher caught me and slapped a pointer stick on my desk. I looked at her and was confused as why she did that at that time. Now I really laughed at that and realized how stupid it must be for them teaching deaf kids like that. That was an oralism method they used, but was dropped briefly after that - maybe 1 or 2 years after that.

So it gave me an idea how oralism was like although we didn't use it anymore from maybe '72 and beyond. It was great that they stopped that. I couldn't imagine as if they chose to stay oralism instead... no way!

Oralism doesn't help us at all since if no one understand sign language first so it's a very god reason why DBC is fighting against oralism and such the one that AGB stresses.

I recalled back in 1969 or 1970 at ISD that I was new at the deaf school. Knew no sign and spoken word at all when I first enrolled in the preschool.

There was a teacher who forced us wearing big hearing aids and demanded us not to sign at all but hear her speaking while showing us the chalkboard on something else. I couldn't understand a word by her and sign language by kids outside classes even.

Anyway, there was a-b-c fingerspelling posters on the wall above the chalkboards so I looked and practicing fingerspelling. That teacher caught me and slapped a pointer stick on my desk. I looked at her and was confused as why she did that at that time. Now I really laughed at that and realized how stupid it must be for them teaching deaf kids like that. That was an oralism method they used, but was dropped briefly after that - maybe 1 or 2 years after that.

So it gave me an idea how oralism was like although we didn't use it anymore from maybe '72 and beyond. It was great that they stopped that. I couldn't imagine as if they chose to stay oralism instead... no way!

Oralism doesn't help us at all since if no one understand sign language first so it's a very god reason why DBC is fighting against oralism and such the one that AGB stresses.

yep, and only a deaf person could understand this as we are the one's that expierence the frustrations of oralsim only.

yep, and only a deaf person could understand this as we are the one's that expierence the frustrations of oralsim only.

Then how exactly do you account for the number of hearing persons who are opposed to oralism, advocate for a move toward a bi-bi educational environment and are members of organizations that actively campaign against oralism? I think we can include Edward Minor Gallaudet in that number when he was alive. We can still include such notables as Harlan Lane, Mark Marschark, and Oliver Saks. As well as several members of this forum.

Anyone who thinks they can fully understand or live the expierences us deaf people have by just simply being against what some of us are against is fooling themselves.

Anyone who thinks they can fully understand or live the expierences us deaf people have by just simply being against what some of us are against is fooling themselves.

And who exactly, has made that statement? Again, you are making incorrect assumptions based on your own errors in perception.

Would you care to answer the question posed?

Back