I am against oralism because....

Kalista

Premium Member
Reaction score
BarbDiGi's blogspot

Summary:

Someone asked me if I were against oralists when I know s/he must have meant oralism because to be against oralists just because they can speak is outrageous! So my response to this modified question is, yes, I am against oralism but not spoken English. Let me share you that the term oralism to me is a stigma. It is associated with “force” for some even “abuse” (i.e. hands whacked with rulers, although physical abuse is prohibited but still, this term brings back these memories that many are scarred with the term oralism.

Oralism is way different than spoken English. Oralism tends to be the only approach and it bans from ASL. Spoken English is not against for one to know both languages since birth. It has no biased meaning – it is just a language. Spoken English doesn’t ban a Deaf child from using ASL nor force those who cannot hear enough to use it. Some people who think the world of oralism are ignorant. Using the word, oralism, still did not change to a positive concept just we would never change the concept of slavery. Now I am not comparing slavery to oralism but in that sense, the idea of slavery is negative just like oralism is for some, if not, many. Would we want to still practice slavery? No! Unfortunately, it is still happening in some parts of the world. Slavery will always be negative just like oralism is but in a different sense of course. There were horror stories associated to oralism that scarred them for life. Although it is history but today the practice, the principle and the philosophy still discriminate against ASL. The Deaf children are suppressed from using ASL. The term should be changed to oracy since it involves the use of switching to both languages where they have the options to use, spoken or signed, where there is more flexibility and compatibility.

(In my video clip, you will see my description on how Flemish Deaf view oralism definition vs. Deaf culture definition.)

That's why I don't accept and approve the concept of oralism because of the attitude. The concept is negative so that is something to think about how should we view oralism.

From my experience, I was able to grow up using spoken English and ASL. Did I ever think that I think of myself as a oralist? No. I am just a spoken English user so it is completely different than being oralist because one doesn't know ASL. I use spoken English, yes. I am ASL user, yes! Oralists don't use ASL. It is just a different view about the way I grow up as I never thought one has to separate those who speak from using ASL. They were placed in an environment using an only-oral-method approach and it was not necessary! ( ASL users still can use spoken English and to not to know ASL growing up because it will hinder language development is still unproven stated by research documents. It has been proven that bilingual approach will benefit the Deaf child to grasp the language, ASL, that is most accessible and natural to them, making the bridge to learn spoken English more effectively if the child desires to do so and benefits the time spent for learning speech).

Good point.

I'll have to remember to say 'I speak, but am not an Oralist' next time a deaf person assumes I'm one.

May we succeed at eradicating Oralism someday! *wishful*

do they still practice oralism? I know they did when I was growing up, my mom decided that I should learn to speak because she didn't want to send me away to a deaf school..She wanted me to be with her. The audiologist told her that since I am only severe HOH, and can use hearing aids.. I would be better off being oralism.

But when I was in jr. high school.. I had an option to go to a public school nearby that specialize deaf , but mom said no to that.

I thought professionals would know better now after they are done experimenting. It amazes me that my son is hearing, but his school is more concerned about his social life than his reading and speaking skills, and want him to socialize with other kids more. But if they still do oralism, I guess they don't care about deaf's social life.

I grew up learning to talk so that pretty much oralism but I am greatful I can talk so I can commicate since it nothing to be a ashame of learning to talk. I know everybody feel differently how they feel about oralism.

I grew up learning to talk so that pretty much oralism but I am greatful I can talk so I can commicate since it nothing to be a ashame of learning to talk. I know everybody feel differently how they feel about oralism.

all I wanted is the full toolbox. I am glad I can speak too... but I can't always depend on it.

all I wanted is the full toolbox. I am glad I can speak too... but I can't always depend on it.

Yeah true, But i just glad I can denpend it my speaking since I don't have a problem. I had a very good speech teacher so I started out very young.

do they still practice oralism? I know they did when I was growing up, my mom decided that I should learn to speak because she didn't want to send me away to a deaf school..She wanted me to be with her. The audiologist told her that since I am only severe HOH, and can use hearing aids.. I would be better off being oralism.

But when I was in jr. high school.. I had an option to go to a public school nearby that specialize deaf , but mom said no to that.

I thought professionals would know better now after they are done experimenting. It amazes me that my son is hearing, but his school is more concerned about his social life than his reading and speaking skills, and want him to socialize with other kids more. But if they still do oralism, I guess they don't care about deaf's social life.

Yes, they still practice oralism, and it is seeing a renewed popularity in the hearing parents of deaf children, as well as those professionals within the CI community. A negative history is repeating itself.

I have nothing against oralism as long it is not "mandatory" by school - I prefer both oralism and ASL together to maximum the communication skills. I had speech teacher when I was very young until high school. I believe that having oral skill has it own benefits in hearing environment. Again, it should be up to child's parent to make that decision, not school's. Oralism skills served me very well in my social and professional life. I still signs with my other deaf friends but I would admit that my signing is somewhat rusty since I dont use it that often in my adult life.

I have nothing against oralism as long it is not "mandatory" by school - I prefer both oralism and ASL together to maximum the communication skills. I had speech teacher when I was very young until high school. I believe that having oral skill has it own benefits in hearing environment. Again, it should be up to child's parent to make that decision, not school's. Oralism skills served me very well in my social and professional life. I still signs with my other deaf friends but I would admit that my signing is somewhat rusty since I dont use it that often in my adult life.

Oral skills is not the same as oralism. Oralism, by it's very definition, forbids the use of manual languages, and permits the use of oral languages only. Being taught oral skills is one thing, and I don't think that there is anyone that would disagree that they can be valuable for a deaf person to have. But that is not oralism. Oralism is based on the belief that all deaf people should learn to speak and not be allowed to sign in the effort to make them appear to be more like hearing individuals.

I'm hearing, but like most of you I think a full toolbox approach is more appropriate than just one approach. I'm neither for oralism or against it. I'm trying to find a middle ground if there is one.

Ah ok. Thanks for correcting me. :) In that case, I am against oralism.

Oral skills is not the same as oralism. Oralism, by it's very definition, forbids the use of manual languages, and permits the use of oral languages only. Being taught oral skills is one thing, and I don't think that there is anyone that would disagree that they can be valuable for a deaf person to have. But that is not oralism. Oralism is based on the belief that all deaf people should learn to speak and not be allowed to sign in the effort to make them appear to be more like hearing individuals.

Yes. I'm orally skilled...........but I am NOT oral deaf. Oral deaf means that the person prefers (when given a choice between oral option and Sign) that they prefer to speak.

Yes. I'm orally skilled...........but I am NOT oral deaf. Oral deaf means that the person prefers (when given a choice between oral option and Sign) that they prefer to speak.

Same here..not oral deaf anymore.

I personally think oral Deaf children should have more options to supplement their skills (ASL, cued speech, etc). I am totally against oral only approach.

I personally think oral Deaf children should have more options to supplement their skills (ASL, cued speech, etc). I am totally against oral only approach.

Agreed. Only if so many parents aren't so bloody short-sighted or narrow-minded *sighs*

Count me in!!!

Back