HOW TO: Use Deafness to Your Advantage

I'd push for more theaters supplying CC or subtitles. Does Canada have anything like NAD or another advocacy group in your province that you can appeal to? I'd go that route and raise a stink!

Yes we do.

Pre-broard on flights

Disabled public transportation fare

Disabled seating at sporting events.....seriously.

That's NOT using the disablity to an advantage. It's accomodation. People in wheelchairs have to fight crowds to get from point A to point B. Have you ever tried it? I have, and, it's far from easy. In fact, it can be downright frightening to have to fight through a crowd of 50K when you're seated.

As for low cost fares targeted to the disabled, that's also necessary. People are often on a limited income.

Pre-boarding during a flight? Pretty much same as #1. I did this once. I'm thankful I was able to pre-board. I'm also thankful for the disabled seating as crowds can be dangerous.

yep.. if people think about it , it take them twice as long to fight the crowd.. with accommodation, they are equal.

Now if people who can walk and take advantage of accommodation, it put them unfairly ahead.

works for me. I am on a 64 pull over streak... all warnings. twice 84 in 55.

My friend and I got pulled over a few weeks ago. Tried to pull out the deaf card, but it didn't work. We tried to say that when we sign it's hard to pay attention to speedometer (which is actually true). My friend is a cute girl, too, but the cop still didn't care.

I think I shouldn't have used my voice. If we had just asked for paper and pen, maybe it would have worked out. Something to remember for next time.

Really though, I think the reason we got pulled over is cause we had a Purdue sticker on the car and we were driving through Indiana University territory.

FUCK IU!!!!

My friend and I got pulled over a few weeks ago. Tried to pull out the deaf card, but it didn't work. We tried to say that when we sign it's hard to pay attention to speedometer (which is actually true). My friend is a cute girl, too, but the cop still didn't care.

I think I shouldn't have used my voice. If we had just asked for paper and pen, maybe it would have worked out. Something to remember for next time.

Really though, I think the reason we got pulled over is cause we had a Purdue sticker on the car and we were driving through Indiana University territory.

FUCK IU!!!!

simple. plead not guilty. string it out. if your ticket was at evening time, chance is you'll have the court during daytime. and chance is that cop won't show up at court since he's the night shift guy and he CBF'ed with your ticket.

simple. plead not guilty. string it out. if your ticket was at evening time, chance is you'll have the court during daytime. and chance is that cop won't show up at court since he's the night shift guy and he CBF'ed with your ticket.

Eh, wasn't me driving, so I'm not concerned about the ticket. Also, I don't speed, so if it had been me driving, I wouldn't have been pulled over.

But, I've read that cops rarely miss a court appearance for a speeding ticket, and if they show up, you always lose.

Because they think they're "speshul"?

I never thought myself as a 'special' due to blatantly "disabled by hearing loss". I am just the same as all of normal hearing human beings. I am just one of the uniques. I don't even need to sign up for the reduction fare for disability in local trains and buses.

I never thought myself as a 'special' due to blatantly "disabled by hearing loss". I am just the same as all of normal hearing human beings. I am just one of the uniques. I don't even need to sign up for the reduction fare for disability in local trains and buses.

I also don't think I'm special. In fact, I despise that characterization as it's often a prevailing attitude amongst society. My own Mother used that characterization with me when I was younger. "Why can't I do that, Mommy? Because, you're special..." She didn't mean to imply that I was inferior to others, but it backfired on her as that's how it was communicated to me. My friends and I were often given that line to appease us. It sucked.

And, Koko is on ignore so I didn't see what he said until you pasted, so I'm going to respond to his characterization here.

I found it to be offensive. Nobody should think they are above anybody else; nor should it be insinuated that someone does. Also, the way in which that was spelled is extremely offensive.

Knock it off, Koko. That's a good way to start a flame war.

I also don't think I'm special. In fact, I despise that characterization as it's often a prevailing attitude amongst society. My own Mother used that characterization with me when I was younger. "Why can't I do that, Mommy? Because, you're special..." She didn't mean to imply that I was inferior to others, but it backfired on her as that's how it was communicated to me. My friends and I were often given that line to appease us. It sucked.

And, Koko is on ignore so I didn't see what he said until you pasted, so I'm going to respond to his characterization here.

I found it to be offensive. Nobody should think they are above anybody else; nor should it be insinuated that someone does. Also, the way in which that was spelled is extremely offensive.

Knock it off, Koko. That's a good way to start a flame war.

He wont knock it off. Ever

I have done that with the cops pulling me over. hehehehe

I do think they should offer discounts at the movie theatres if no subtitles are being provided.

I can get a discount as I am a senior citizen . I doubt that the movie theatres would do that. Now that I can get a discount I have more trouble
hearing what being said!

When my son would get in trouble and I was giving him a lecture, he would close his eyes. Several years later, he tried to get out of a speeding ticket by signing to the cop that he was deaf...but the cop was a CODA, LOL!

:laugh2:

When I get tickets to go to a concert, I sometimes request to be at the front so I can read lips...and they usually charge me for the back seat prices.

i have used the deaf thing to get out of a ticket or 2. when you call the small town courts they will usually give up since they have no clue about getting an interpreter for a court hearing. even if they hire the terp you will most likely get a reduced charge. small town cops are more apt to warn you. or if like PFH you drive around without pants- they don't want to see his "junk"

A good one is to babysit for a friend who has a baby who is colic. Since I'm deaf, the cries don't bother me, and it helps my friend to get a good break from hearing it consonantly. Friends with colicky babies love me! lol

water company loves me !! i forget how many times i have left the water running!!! come home from work and WTF !! of course this is to the advantage of the water company

I will be blunt with you guys, I believe we should not take advantage of our deafness to get away with so many things. I will tell you something in my past with one group of deaf people at amsument park. We were standing in line for 3 hours to get that ride just alike everyone else whether they are hearing or deaf but this group of deaf cut the line to join other deaf friends that anger some people who were waited behind them for hours. I got them kicked out of the park becuase they were taking advantage of their deafness. I got threatened by one of them.

Back