HOW TO: Use Deafness to Your Advantage

Alex

Administrator
Staff Member
Reaction score
Here's some stuff that used to work for me in the past by just being the deaf person that I am. This might or might not work for you.

- If a hearing person came up to you to try and sell you some crap, just point at your ear and do the cut-throat gesture and he will leave you alone.

- When you go to the movie theater, buy a senior citizen movie ticket. If the movie ticket collector won't let you in, ask to speak to the manager. Then tell the manager that you're deaf, and since the movie does not provide subtitles (make sure it's true), it's not fair that you have to pay the full price.

- If you get pulled over by the police, make sure you put a smile on your face first, and when the cop approaches you, gesture to him that you're deaf and need paper and pen to write. Most likely, the cop will either give you a warning or tell you to go fly a kite.

That's all I can think of for now. If you know of a way to use your deafness to your advantage, share it with us here!

Or.... drumroll please..... Spouse is nagging, Just turn your head..:giggle:

Wish this applies to my hometown, and state. They don't give crap if your Deaf, they look at you as equal as hearing person.

- If you get pulled over by the police, make sure you put a smile on your face first, and when the cop approaches you, gesture to him that you're deaf and need paper and pen to write. Most likely, the cop will either give you a warning or tell you to go fly a kite.

Some judges in my city don't give a rat's azz if ur deaf or not! And since we're fighting/striving to be treated "equally", why would we expect "special treatment"??

I do think they should offer discounts at the movie theatres if no subtitles are being provided.

When my son would get in trouble and I was giving him a lecture, he would close his eyes. Several years later, he tried to get out of a speeding ticket by signing to the cop that he was deaf...but the cop was a CODA, LOL!

When my son would get in trouble and I was giving him a lecture, he would close his eyes. Several years later, he tried to get out of a speeding ticket by signing to the cop that he was deaf...but the cop was a CODA, LOL!

Ha ha.. once I got a cop who had a deaf son and he acted as terp for his dad. so much for pulling the deaf act.

Ha ha.. once I got a cop who had a deaf son and he acted as terp for his dad. so much for pulling the deaf act.

I LMAO when my son told me about it. Then I told him..."See, I told you when you were a kid never to use your deafness as an excuse! Mom knows ALL!":laugh2:

I like it! :giggle:

A couple times I was let go with a warning instead of being given tickets. Yeah, I told them I was deaf, but I do not think that did the trick. I looked them in the eyes and paid total attention and was polite. Yeah, that did it. :lol:

I LMAO when my son told me about it. Then I told him..."See, I told you when you were a kid never to use your deafness as an excuse! Mom knows ALL!":laugh2:

Personally, I don't agree with using anything as an excuse. It just gives the general population another reason to rag on those different then they are! Life is hard enough. Why make it harder on yourself by giving people another reason to look down upon you?

Doesn't make sense that people would scream for equality; yet they are pulling the..."I am ____" card and taking advantage of a situation.

I agree with you, too. You raised your son right, obviously. I admit there were situations where my parents took advantage of my being in a chair. I was too young to object, but you can bet I'd be upset now. I've had arguments with Mom about this before. I'm not perfect by any means, but, I find the idea of using my disablity to take advantage of something very distateful. I also find the idea of someone else trying to take advantage of my disabilty as equally distasteful.

I do think they should offer discounts at the movie theatres if no subtitles are being provided.

I'd push for more theaters supplying CC or subtitles. Does Canada have anything like NAD or another advocacy group in your province that you can appeal to? I'd go that route and raise a stink!

Pre-broard on flights

Disabled public transportation fare

Disabled seating at sporting events.....seriously.

SSI :)

And if you or your hearing spouse get fired or laid off, you can apply for SSI for finanical security.

Last edited:
amusement park - disability pass..
Unfortunately, a lot of amusement parks have made changes to this.

For instance, you go to the front of the ride and show them the pass... then they tell you to come back in 5 to 30 minutes (depending on how long the line is). It can only be used on one right. You can't go to Ride A and they say, come back in 30 minutes, then go to Ride B and they say to come back on 30 minutes, then Ride C and they say to come back in 30 minutes, then go back to Ride A in time to catch the ride 30 minutes later.

I agree.

I did that when I went to Medieval Times with my deaf friends. They gave us a discount when we told them that we wouldn't be able to understand what was being said. :)

Back