How to save residental programs?

deafdyke

Reaction score
We all know that residental programs are holding on by a thread, as compared to past years. Now, it is awesome that many toddlers and little kids don't have to go off to live at school, (due to the existence of regional dhh day programs) But, on the other hand, residental programs can be helpful. I do think that many of the parents and experts who rant against residental schools, are thinking that ALL kids have suburban America style advantages. Some of the kids who are mainstreamed might do better in a residental program.....I think a good idea might be to promote a res school experiance as " WOW! You can live away from home with friends and develop independent living skills!"
Also, maybe promote it as a way for kids to get out of bad living situtions....like say, if they're from an inner city school or another area with really bad resources for even hearing kids (ie Appalachia or trailer parks or what have you) they could live at school, have a stable living sitution etc......any other ideas?

I am very happy that I got to live at home for my school career. I enjoyed the involvement with my family, having some friends in my neighborhood, always being with my dogs, and much more.

I would much prefer to see magnet schools that have qualified TOD, and a bi-bi instructional philosophy, and where the students return each night to their homes.

Residential schools are not always the paradise you paint them to be, and furthermore it is not necessarily true that just by being there your will make friends. There are rejects in every crowd who suffer torment.

deaf schools should be near where people can have good job opportunties so parents can move there. Also, have a affordable apts.

Botte, yes I know. But I am operating on a continum of placement way of thinking.
I think there are downsides to res schools.....but I also think they can be very underutilized, and they can be a good placement for students.

Why would I want to send my child away? Parents are the best teachers, why take that away from children? "Why not just gather them up and send them away"??? Because I love my child and want to be a part of her life. What on earth could that school offer that a day school and home couldn't.

Oh, and screw you for thinking parents in trailers are bad parents. I am sooooo sick of your stereotyping of both poor and wealthy families.

I am very happy that I got to live at home for my school career. I enjoyed the involvement with my family, having some friends in my neighborhood, always being with my dogs, and much more.

I would much prefer to see magnet schools that have qualified TOD, and a bi-bi instructional philosophy, and where the students return each night to their homes.

Residential schools are not always the paradise you paint them to be, and furthermore it is not necessarily true that just by being there your will make friends. There are rejects in every crowd who suffer torment.

I work with a lot of children from inner cities. I cant say much but one thing I can say...they arent thriving at home.

Why would I want to send my child away? Parents are the best teachers, why take that away from children? "Why not just gather them up and send them away"??? Because I love my child and want to be a part of her life. What on earth could that school offer that a day school and home couldn't.

Oh, and screw you for thinking parents in trailers are bad parents. I am sooooo sick of your stereotyping of both poor and wealthy families.

I don't like it when she does that either, but you know, you really should think for the kids who don't have parents like you and make sure there is alternative for them.

I don't like it when she does that either, but you know, you really should think for the kids who don't have parents like you and make sure there is alternative for them.

I wish I can say more but the stories I can share would give all of you goosebumps about how screwed up their home lives are. If i do ever find another job that is not related to Deaf ed, I will come back and share everything I have seen in the past 15 years. One thing I can say is..."the world is NOT THROUGH YOUR ROSY-COLORED GLASSES!"

That's putting it mildly.l hate when she does it. And I have known plenty of kids who did not thrive in residential schools.

Now I will shut up because it is an unpopular position here, and although I have strong feelings about it, talking about it will just cause me to get picked on.

I shall just go play Bejeweled Blitz and calm down. :wave:

That's putting it mildly.l hate when she does it. And I have known plenty of kids who did not thrive in residential schools.

Now I will shut up because it is an unpopular position here, and although I have strong feelings about it, talking about it will just cause me to get picked on.

I shall just go play Bejeweled Blitz and calm down. :wave:

what about the deaf kids who live in neighborhoods where they are used as drug runners for gangs? what about them, Botts?

what about the deaf kids who live in neighborhoods where they are used as drug runners for gangs? what about them, Botts?

It's either Foster Care or Deaf school (and who knows what Foster care do with deaf children??)

I wish I can say more but the stories I can share would give all of you goosebumps about how screwed up their home lives are. If i do ever find another job that is not related to Deaf ed, I will come back and share everything I have seen in the past 15 years. One thing I can say is..."the world is NOT THROUGH YOUR ROSY-COLORED GLASSES!"

Have you forgotten that I work everyday in a program that is nothing but kids who have been failed? I work with 20 year olds who can't read or write. My mother dropped out of school in ninth grade, my father in FIFTH. I am well aware of the horrors of being failed by the system.

Get them into a qualified foster home, where they can experience family life, and not develop institutionalized behaviors.

And I really should not say more.

you should be glad that orphanage don't really exist anymore. My MIL, and several friends were orphanages. I think these days they call it group home.

of course, Foster kids do move one place to another.

Either way, it's not alway a win-win situation.

Some parents do not want to take the time to communicate with their deaf children. It's a SAD fact. I've seen it over and over. In that case, a residential environment where there's total access to communication and language might be best. But...

I say do one better. If a parent is not communicating with the child, then arrest that parent for neglect and child abuse. Residential schools should not be enabling neglect and abuse.

I've read background information on my students. Some of the things they've experienced are so heartbreaking, that I often cry at night in my bed, even for students I had ten years ago.

Guys I'm NOT saying that ALL families who don't have as many resources as a suburban middle class family are uninvolved or that poor people are slackers or whatever.
I'm not advocating a "Lost Generations" (the social experiments where Abrorginal or First Nations families were forcibly removed from their culture ) style experiment at all. I do not think that this should be a universal placement. I'm ALL for continuum of placement....it really does depend on the kid you know. There are some kids who thrive in the res school setting, and then there are kids who do well seeing their family every day.
I'm simply saying that maybe in SOME cases where there's really stereotypical horrible problems, due to poverty but not quite bad enough to involve social services ....SOME cases that it might be good to get them out of their current living sitution, and into a more stable placement. Yes, not all poor people face really bad existence situtions....and I mean this is a LOT better then in the old days when poor= Third World standards. Heck many of them are poor due to just not having the right oppertunties.
But in the cases where there's poverty PLUS the really bad associated problems of poverty, (but not bad enough that social services be involved) maybe a residental school placement might help. Did you know that there are a couple of HEARING residental schools like this? Boarding Schools Nurture Low-Income Students (washingtonpost.com)
I AM NOT stereotyping poor familes at ALL. Why would I? I'm just pointing out, as a sociologist that poor families very often may not have access to a suburban style education or to resources to improve their child's education, and they can and do deal with severe issues and concerns that aren't that big of a deal for someone who is middle class and above. Say for example, a middle class family could fight the school board with a decent lawyer for placement in the regional dhh program. A family where the adults are composed of a single mom who works at a minimum wage job, prolly couldn't have the resources to fight for something like that. Yes, there's pro bono and court appointed lawyers...but the legal teeth really does seem to be with the families who can afford to spend more money on things.

After all, did you know that the residental blind schools were started b/c the people like Samual Gridley Howe were very impressed by how bright the blind kids that they saw in the work/poorhouses were? The work/poorhouses were supposodly really bad. They were designed to serve the poor to give them a leg up. Heck, back during the Depression a lot of kids were sent off to the State School, so they could have a place to live and got an education and food to eat.
faire joure, I'm not suggesting that ALL poor dhh kids be shipped off to res schools. Just that maybe it might be a better placement then an inner city school where there's not even toilet paper or the textbooks and equiptment are VERY outdated, and where there's drugs and gangs?

Get them into a qualified foster home, where they can experience family life, and not develop institutionalized behaviors.

And I really should not say more.

Only if the parents give them up but they dont.

So, these kids are living in the dorms and learning about citizenship, doing their homework, and most importantly...feel safe from the streets.

Perhaps action should be taken much sooner. If poor parents are necessarily bad parents, maybe all poor parents-to-be should be sterilized if they don't meet a certain standard. This could be assessed as part of the marriage license process and reduce paperwork, or when you update your driver's license.

Back