How to live without cell phones.

Even father or mother died?

The most reliable source to communicate with my parents is via emails. Not text. If my parent will die, it isn't emergency.

I got no problem asking someone on the street if I can use their cellphone to call for help.

I live in a city. There are always businesses around to go inside and ask if I can use their phones.

Not that hard really. You just have to be creative.

I never heard of this.

I have severe/profound hearing lost. I can hear to a point on the phone and talk. I have no clue what this spareone is. Sorry can't help you on that.
Yes I'm trying to be creative but it turn out that people here are.. not helpful..

If you want to learn more about spareone. Here's the link.
SpareOne

The most reliable source to communicate with my parents is via emails. Not text. If my parent will die, it isn't emergency.

Yes I'm trying to be creative but it turn out that people here are.. not helpful..

SpareOne

spareone is very nice idea, Sadly it is not Deaf friendly.

Generally, companies usually pay for employee's cell phones for work purposes. However, for my career, phones aren't necessary.

That's never been the case for me in either the public or private sector. However, it sounds like you've already decided so just go ahead and ditch it. It doesn't sound like you want one or need it anyway. For me though, that's how I get my messages from potential employers and emergency messages from my family so my phone isn't going anywhere.

BTW, I wouldn't allow a stranger to use my phone, speaking for myself and I question how many would given that it's often a ploy to steal your phone. Whether I'd call for help or not depends on whether I could understand what they're asking too.

I would like to stop using my cell phones. I only use unlimited text on my dumb phone. I noticed that I didn't use it at all because I'm not in college anymore. I used it to communicate with other students to work on assignments and to meet somewhere for group projects.

But now, I would love to save my money by not using my cell phone anymore. However there is safety concern like texting my parents if something will happen to me.

let's say if I buy this product from this website.
SpareOne

Also buy umm what do you call it? voice recorder?

Then if something will happen to me like car break down in middle of nowhere. Then I can dial 911 and use voice recorder to speak that, "I'm speaking for deaf person who can't hear you and please come to this emergency phone (GPS) location to meet him in person to resolve his emergency situation."

This message will repeat at least like 5 times. Then I'll hang up.

Then wait until police come.

Will that work?

---------------------
Emergency phone and voice recorder - at least 110 dollars for probably 15 yrs
Smart phone w/ internet data - 9,000 dollars for 15 years (that's why I don't want cell phone for... emergency?)

FYI - even if you discontinued a service with your cell carrier, a cellphone would work if you call 911. this is required by law. so just get a cheap-ass tape recorder and ta-da! no need to buy this spareone thingamajig.

and since you have a safety concern like texting your parents if something will happen to you.... simple - get a Verizon's "Pay As You Go" plan or a prepaid SIM card. "Pay As You Go" plan is where you pay only if you use your cellphone so it's like 25 cents per text. I'm sure other cell carrier has similar plan like "Pay As You Go".

and get a Google Voice

SpareOne

lol you're overthinking for this simple problem.

reminds me of NASA coming up with a $12 billion ball-point pen that will work in space when Russians figured it out with just a simple pencil :lol:

Mabbit
You mentioned Verizon. Please check out what is offered by this MVNO as they use Verizon towers. I think you can find service at a price that will suit you. As long as the phone you currently own is not a phone that was on Verizon's own prepaid service or a phone that is 4G (LTE) capable you can use it without flashing etc.
Here is the site: https://www.pagepluscellular.com/why-page-plus/

In addition another advantage of PagePlus is that you can use your phone for whatever you want. There is no separate "data package" because you are using a "smartphone".

Last edited:
Or what about get a phone and just use WiFi whenever you need to use it?

I mean like WiFi hotspot on the phone. I have it and it works anywhere.

I don't think that gets you around the Verizon requirement of paying extra for a "data package" if you have a "smartphone".

That applies only if you have hotspot device from wireless carrier. OP does not want any wireless connection from any cell phone providers so WiFi is not everywhere.

I may end up discontinue cell phone. Don't really see reason need for it. I don't know yet. Unless I get another job then will continue.

I mean like WiFi hotspot on the phone. I have it and it works anywhere.

That's never been the case for me in either the public or private sector.
Same here. I heard that it's done at some companies but I don't personally know anyone who got such a phone.

...BTW, I wouldn't allow a stranger to use my phone, speaking for myself and I question how many would given that it's often a ploy to steal your phone. Whether I'd call for help or not depends on whether I could understand what they're asking too.
I'd be very leery of doing that also. Kinda gives me the creeps to think about it.

I have made calls for other people, including deaf people, using my phone. But that's rare.

How does that work in areas without public WiFi available?

it doesn't but shel is located in a major metropolitan area. many many many wifi hotspots around. same for NYC.

It's amazing how much people depend on cell phones now that we have them. I have had people mad at me for not answering texts/emails right away. It's ridiculous. Must I bring my phone into showers, mealtimes, nap time, pool, etc?

As Frisky Feline said, when I was young, there were no cellphones and we managed.

Remember those things? I remember when I was in college I'd use one that had TDD in the drawer. Those were neat!

2691711467_3821efd9fb_z.jpg

i agree with you,and yes public phones thing of the past...red phone box in uk was/is iconic but only place's in uk is deep in countryside with no mob phone connection then bt asks the village to adopt it and keep it clean then bt will supply paint and keep phones working..
i same i not used my tx allownce so stuck in a contract with a phone i hate and not understand but i do agree if you going to be in a position that could be dangerous then have something with you

I could absolutely nothing with one of those things up there ^^^ usefull as poop flavored lollipops for me.

FYI - even if you discontinued a service with your cell carrier, a cellphone would work if you call 911. this is required by law. so just get a cheap-ass tape recorder and ta-da! no need to buy this spareone thingamajig.

and since you have a safety concern like texting your parents if something will happen to you.... simple - get a Verizon's "Pay As You Go" plan or a prepaid SIM card. "Pay As You Go" plan is where you pay only if you use your cellphone so it's like 25 cents per text. I'm sure other cell carrier has similar plan like "Pay As You Go".

and get a Google Voice

My last phone isn't functionally well anymore. Spareone is better because the battery life can last up to 15 years. So I don't have to worry about recharging my "cell phone" every other day just in case of emergency. I can leave my spareone phone in my car truck until I need to use it.

Mabbit
You mentioned Verizon. Please check out what is offered by this MVNO as they use Verizon towers. I think you can find service at a price that will suit you. As long as the phone you currently own is not a phone that was on Verizon's own prepaid service or a phone that is 4G (LTE) capable you can use it without flashing etc.
Here is the site: https://www.pagepluscellular.com/why-page-plus/

In addition another advantage of PagePlus is that you can use your phone for whatever you want. There is no separate "data package" because you are using a "smartphone".

No, I didn't mentioned Verizon.

Back