How to live without cell phones.

What's wishful thinking.

Jiro and I didn't talk very often, but you will be stalked eventually. :aw:
I can easily put him on my ignore list whenever I want. :D

You can call 911 from a disconnected cel phone as long as it has power per FCC rules. Also if one is not to concerned about time during an emergency then I would just make sure one carries a "In Case Of Emergency" contact id.

Being deaf and caling 911 can be a challenge but it does work. Just state you are deaf a few times and what your emergency is. I don't know if you can ask to be called back to verify they got your call though.

I can easily put him on my ignore list whenever I want. :D

He can still reply your post if you put him on ignore list, but you won't see.

Even, you can see his quote if any members quote him.

You can call 911 from a disconnected cel phone as long as it has power per FCC rules. Also if one is not to concerned about time during an emergency then I would just make sure one carries a "In Case Of Emergency" contact id.

Being deaf and caling 911 can be a challenge but it does work. Just state you are deaf a few times and what your emergency is. I don't know if you can ask to be called back to verify they got your call though.
I can't speak well so how can I tell them that I need an ambulance? :hmm:

I can't speak well so how can I tell them that I need an ambulance? :hmm:

Everything does not work for everybody. Still though in an extreme emergency you could get someone to call for you as long as your phone had power.

Everything does not work for everybody. Still though in an extreme emergency you could get someone to call for you as long as your phone had power.
I have a better idea. (Example: a car accident on a lonely road around 3am), I make a 911 call through a no-service cell phone and pretend to cough hard repeatedly so they would know that I need an ambulance right away. Will it work?

just get an old nokia brick. That way its literally just a phone. No screens no data no "facebooking" and all of those other things you seem to dread. Simple enough? good

I have a better idea. (Example: a car accident on a lonely road around 3am), I make a 911 call through a no-service cell phone and pretend to cough hard repeatedly so they would know that I need an ambulance right away. Will it work?

It might well. But also try to tell them as much as you can even if you do not speak well. The information is more important than how well you pronounce words.

Also, the following is from the Droid Pro:
Emergency Calls
When you make an emergency call, the cellular network may activate the AGPS technology in your mobile device to tell emergency responders your approximate location. AGPS has limitations and might not work in your area. Therefore: Always tell the emergency responder your location to the best of your ability and Remain on the phone for as long as the emergency responder instructs you.

That makes me think that the GPS in the phone would help them find you even if you could not do all the exchange of information mentioned in the manual. Later phones might even transmit better location data.

I dont see "no service" for long time. What's kind of network you use?
No, I don't have a cellphone. I was making an example. See those quotes below. That's what I was talking about. Even if it has no service, a 911 call can be made. So will texting to 911 also work without a service?

Originally Posted by Angel1989

FYI - even if you discontinued a service with your cell carrier, a cellphone would work if you call 911. this is required by law. so just get a cheap-ass tape recorder and ta-da! no need to buy this spareone thingamajig.

I don't know about that. I only know that 911 can be done via voice but with texting with no phone service on it. Like without a sim card or something.

No, I don't have a cellphone. I was making an example. See those quotes below. That's what I was talking about. Even if it has no service, a 911 call can be made. So will texting to 911 also work without a service?

Two diff things. No coverage then may not works at all. Mobile won't connect service due no pay but 911 still works. It's a law.

I think he means if he's alone.

The OP needs to revist the times before cell phones and do research on what deaf people did in an emergency in those days and just do whatever worked for them.

I have a much much better idea - how about drive in the area that's closer to civilization and 911? :thumb:

if you're driving to somewhere in middle of nowhere and you have a medical emergency.... you're in same situation as hearing people anyway. don't expect any ambulance for a few hours.

yes I'm sure

Back