How to live without cell phones.

Mabbit

Reaction score
I would like to stop using my cell phones. I only use unlimited text on my dumb phone. I noticed that I didn't use it at all because I'm not in college anymore. I used it to communicate with other students to work on assignments and to meet somewhere for group projects.

But now, I would love to save my money by not using my cell phone anymore. However there is safety concern like texting my parents if something will happen to me.

let's say if I buy this product from this website.
SpareOne

Also buy umm what do you call it? voice recorder?

Then if something will happen to me like car break down in middle of nowhere. Then I can dial 911 and use voice recorder to speak that, "I'm speaking for deaf person who can't hear you and please come to this emergency phone (GPS) location to meet him in person to resolve his emergency situation."

This message will repeat at least like 5 times. Then I'll hang up.

Then wait until police come.

Will that work?

---------------------
Emergency phone and voice recorder - at least 110 dollars for probably 15 yrs
Smart phone w/ internet data - 9,000 dollars for 15 years (that's why I don't want cell phone for... emergency?)

Cell phones are very essential for safety, particularly for women and children but it's become the #1 safety item that everyone should have on them at all times. To quote Heston, "From my cold, dead hands..."

I would think twice, if not for yourself but for your family who would worry about not being able to reach you.

Laura

Not my cup of tea. I like the security of having a cell phone, I'm not looking for cheap service because you really do get what pay for....everyone's different...

Mabbit, this sound like if you don't have a job or you are in between college graduate and job. Once you have a job, I'm sure you will be using it more often, like calling your boss for sick leave and such. It's understandable that you don't have a job yet and trying to find a way to save money... but cell phone are most powerful tools to reach out someone for many reasons, not only just because you are not communicating your friends any more, but need map if your get lost, 911, GPS locator if you are hurt and unable to speak or move yourself... you know?

Not my cup of tea. I like the security of having a cell phone, I'm not looking for cheap service because you really do get what pay for....everyone's different...

Okay, not much helpful for this thread.

Mabbit, this sound like if you don't have a job or you are in between college graduate and job. Once you have a job, I'm sure you will be using it more often, like calling your boss for sick leave and such. It's understandable that you don't have a job yet and trying to find a way to save money... but cell phone are most powerful tools to reach out someone for many reasons, not only just because you are not communicating your friends any more, but need map if your get lost, 911, GPS locator if you are hurt and unable to speak or move yourself... you know?

Generally, companies usually pay for employee's cell phones for work purposes. However, for my career, phones aren't necessary.

I have GPS device.

There are many alternative to cell phones. Like spareone emergency phone. That's what it is for my future injuries or so.

I want to be one of those people can live without cell phones, facebook, and etc.. except internet.

images

^ According to my first post, I asked if it will works with the voice recorder.

It's like brainstorming than just my two cent of how it will work without cell phones.

Question: What are you going to do, if a parent of yours tries to contact you in a case of an emergency, but you are difficult to be reached? Provide a solution, please.

^ They won't try to contact me. They normally call/text my mother/father instead their children.

^ They won't try to contact me. They normally call/text my mother/father instead their children.
FAIL - I mean, what if they NEED YOUR HELP. What you do?

Seriously, this is the 21st Century, use your common sense. We rely on our cell phones for hundreds of reasons.

It's amazing how much people depend on cell phones now that we have them. I have had people mad at me for not answering texts/emails right away. It's ridiculous. Must I bring my phone into showers, mealtimes, nap time, pool, etc?

As Frisky Feline said, when I was young, there were no cellphones and we managed.

Remember those things? I remember when I was in college I'd use one that had TDD in the drawer. Those were neat!

2691711467_3821efd9fb_z.jpg

FAIL - I mean, what if they NEED YOUR HELP. What you do?

Seriously, this is the 21st Century, use your common sense. We rely on our cell phones for hundreds of reasons.

What part of you don't understand. MY PARENTS wont contact me for help. EVER..

<----- do NOT own a cellphone. I got rid of my cellphone 2 years ago and I don't miss it.

It made me realized how much I don't miss it.

I was paying $65 a month at the time, and then Verizon upped my plan to $150 a month. Because of their 'required' data package, seriously?

I am not going to pay for something I will never use. If I want to search the net, I got a damn computer at my house. I used my phone for texting and calling, nothing more.

I wouldn't mind getting a cellphone that has unlimited talk/text at a reasonable price. Say $50 a month.

But I do not need no data package. So far every plan I've seen, sucks. Not only that, if I go with 'Straight Talk', their phone selection sucks. I need a phone that will work with my hearing aids so I can hear clearly on it. I need a phone with M3/T3, any less does not work well for me. (M4/T4 has the BEST clarity for me)

<----- do NOT own a cellphone. I got rid of my cellphone 2 years ago and I don't miss it.

It made me realized how much I don't miss it.

I was paying $65 a month at the time, and then Verizon upped my plan to $150 a month. Because of their 'required' data package, seriously?

I am not going to pay for something I will never use. If I want to search the net, I got a damn computer at my house. I used my phone for texting and calling, nothing more.

I wouldn't mind getting a cellphone that has unlimited talk/text at a reasonable price. Say $50 a month.

But I do not need no data package. So far every plan I've seen, sucks. Not only that, if I go with 'Straight Talk', their phone selection sucks. I need a phone that will work with my hearing aids so I can hear clearly on it. I need a phone with M3/T3, any less does not work well for me. (M4/T4 has the BEST clarity for me)

What's your solution for needing help. Would you get spareone (emergency phone and voice recorder)?

I got no problem asking someone on the street if I can use their cellphone to call for help.

I live in a city. There are always businesses around to go inside and ask if I can use their phones.

Not that hard really. You just have to be creative.

Would you get spareone (emergency phone and voice recorder)?
I never heard of this.

I have severe/profound hearing lost. I can hear to a point on the phone and talk. I have no clue what this spareone is. Sorry can't help you on that.

Back