how old were you do manual transmission?

i use automatic transmission. all 4 cars with automatic transmission. (i know!, i'm not good with manual transmission, so automatic transmission is easy for me).

first old car was toyota corolla 1980s (good gas, better than nothing).
second car in 2000 was acura legend 1988.
third car in 2001 was ford probe (been driving since 2007)
and fourth car in 2007, i'm driving a saturn SL1. one year this june.

i will plan to buy honda, toyota (not corolla) or saturn aura.

peace :)

Does ride on Lawn Mower Ride on counts as Manual Transmission? I know it not the same as cars.

If so, I was 17 years old: 1.5 acres steep hill mowing the lawn at home for 2 hours.

As for cars I do want to learn manual transmission.

I bet it counts cuz as long as you drive manual and it moves without stalling. Motorcycle even counts too.

I drove with 14 speed manual trasnsmission on skylift (Half tractor/half forklift, can lift up to 50 ft in air. They sometime called it as "Roof Lift" to lift roof composite package ect.) It's a real ugly beast. 12 speed "foward" and 2 speed "reverse".

I even drove Semi-Tractor w/ flatbed trailer which are 8 speed (actually are 4 speed manual with 2 speed axle). Fun to drive around the company narrow parking lot without running over the curb. I made it all around narrow parking lot without running over the curb!! Didn't have CDL license but my oldest brother was challenging me to try it and was freaked out that I'm too good on it. :rofl:

I drove manual shift car for many year till I got automatic tranny van and Car 6 years ago. I heard that automaker are discontinuing manualshifter. I love those manual shifter. I used to own 89' Mazda 323 hatchback w/ 5 speed manual shifter and it was a dang best car and drives like porsche sometime. I can easily beat red lights shifting from 4th gear to 2nd gear and go near redline (Engine roooaarrrss and good G's). Even it had 225,000 miles on it, it still had lot of pep in it. I used to drive 3 speed Column shifter on my 67' Classic chevrolet C10 Pickup truck. I love Column shifter cuz I don't have to worry about ramming shifter to passenger's "ding dong" oopsie sorry man!!. :rofl:

Nowaday, My Jeep and Durango with "big engines" can't muster like my 323 did (pedal to metal 'nothing'.....Brrrmmmmmmmmmmmm'shift'.... brrrrmmmmmmmmmm..{traffic light turned red} slammed brake skrreeeee). Automatic tranny have "delayed" acceleration.

Manual shifter ('shift 2nd from 4th' 'pedal to metal/snap clutch' RROOOAAARREEEEEEeeeeee'tire skreett'' 'head glued to headrest' whooossshhh past by yellow light "YEEESSSS!!!"). That's something I love about manual. I prefer "from engine to axle" than "from engine to fluid buffer to axle". Manual transmission act like a direct connection from engine to axle while automatic act like a buffer between that cause delayed acceleration. Automatic tranny sucks!!

Catty

Last edited:
I tried it last year and little hard for me, I prefer automatic transmission.

I tried it last year and little hard for me, I prefer automatic transmission.

Guess you had different car than Mazda. Some cars are "light" clutch while some are "heavy" clutch. If car have "light" clutch, it means you let go clutch w/ little gas, car will go easy. While car with "heavy" clutch you let go clutch with lot of gas to get car going or it'll stalls and die. My mazda 323 is very light clutch cuz I can go without touching gas pedal to make it go. I driven truck, cars with "heavy" clutch, it tend to stalls if not properly balanced with clutch/gas.

I remember one old ford car that I was fixing for my friend, it had very "heavy" clutch. I let go clutch like I normally do to my truck, it died. I gave plenty of gas which is 1/2 pedal and it finally go with stall. I don't like the car at all. This type of car can wears out clutch very very easily. My truck easily spins tire with 1/2 gas.

Some car are "light" clutch so people can learn shift easier. I have seen some people give up quickly when they tried to drive a car w/ "heavy" clutch. Heavy clutched car are hard to beat red light.

It's actually had to do with 1st Gear Ratio in manual transmission. any car with "light" clutch have smallest gear ratio while "heavy" clutch have bigger gear ratio on 1st gear. "light" clutched car tend to have long lasting clutch if not riding on clutch. "Heavy" clutched car tend to wears out clutch and must be replaced feqently.

My mazda 323 still have it's original clutch with 200,000 miles on it. My friend bought it and he drove for one year and never experience worn clutch. he wrecked the car and bought Mazda GLC. He love it's "light" clutch and great gas mileage.

Catty

Guess you had different car than Mazda. Some cars are "light" clutch while some are "heavy" clutch. If car have "light" clutch, it means you let go clutch w/ little gas, car will go easy. While car with "heavy" clutch you let go clutch with lot of gas to get car going or it'll stalls and die. My mazda 323 is very light clutch cuz I can go without touching gas pedal to make it go. I driven truck, cars with "heavy" clutch, it tend to stalls if not properly balanced with clutch/gas.

I remember one old ford car that I was fixing for my friend, it had very "heavy" clutch. I let go clutch like I normally do to my truck, it died. I gave plenty of gas which is 1/2 pedal and it finally go with stall. I don't like the car at all. This type of car can wears out clutch very very easily. My truck easily spins tire with 1/2 gas.

Some car are "light" clutch so people can learn shift easier. I have seen some people give up quickly when they tried to drive a car w/ "heavy" clutch. Heavy clutched car are hard to beat red light.

It's actually had to do with 1st Gear Ratio in manual transmission. any car with "light" clutch have smallest gear ratio while "heavy" clutch have bigger gear ratio on 1st gear. "light" clutched car tend to have long lasting clutch if not riding on clutch. "Heavy" clutched car tend to wears out clutch and must be replaced feqently.

My mazda 323 still have it's original clutch with 200,000 miles on it. My friend bought it and he drove for one year and never experience worn clutch. he wrecked the car and bought Mazda GLC. He love it's "light" clutch and great gas mileage.

Catty

Yeah, most of the Hondas I had had "light" clutch. I prefer it that way. :)

I first learned manual shift on my best friends old VW bug (15 yrs old) then when i got my learner permit, my father's truck was a 86 mazda B2000 with a 5 spd. then unfortunely,im stuck to automatic for now.(pushing 34 now) hopefully my next vehicle will b a 5 spd.

Catty

I never drive Mazda car.

I was tried on manual transmission in Chevy Cobalt and don't like it, it's uncomfortable for me, however manual transmission isn't my preference.

I prefer automatic tranmission at all time.

I never drive Mazda car.

I was tried on manual transmission in Chevy Cobalt and don't like it, it's uncomfortable for me, however manual transmission isn't my preference.

I prefer automatic tranmission at all time.

American's manual transmission is worse than Japanese and European. Very few american are good like Chevy Corvette and and worse clutch panel ever I tries on Pontiac GTO 2006! I am glad Pontiac stop build GTO anymore.

You should try on Japanese car first.

American's manual transmission is worse than Japanese and European. Very few american are good like Chevy Corvette and and worse clutch panel ever I tries on Pontiac GTO 2006! I am glad Pontiac stop build GTO anymore.

You should try on Japanese car first.

Second That!! That's true!!

Ah.. Manual tranny... my first was 1958 Chevy 3100 pick up truck ... when I was 13 learned how do three on column so fun driving three speed on column (on steering stick) until I was 16 and got 64 Chevy Impala 283 V-8 three speed column... lasted me 221k miles before sold it ..and tow truck 1978 Chevy 3500 4 spd with granny gear .. then 85 Chevy 3500 then 1996 International 4700 444te 7spd ... now 2000 international 4700 466DT 7spd rollback .. beeen doing manual drive over good 35 yrs now .. does it fun? haha STILL LOVE IT!!

Best American manual transmission are Murice 22 "rockcrusher" 4 spd in 60's and Richmond 5 spd in 70 thru 80's and Tremec TKO!! since early 90's til now!! I would rather have a tremec TKO 600 over japanese trannies ... now for Ford fans.. how about the "top loader" 4 spd or Tremec T5 or T56 (same as Dodge Viper)

Ah.. Manual tranny... my first was 1958 Chevy 3100 pick up truck ... when I was 13 learned how do three on column so fun driving three speed on column (on steering stick) until I was 16 and got 64 Chevy Impala 283 V-8 three speed column... lasted me 221k miles before sold it ..and tow truck 1978 Chevy 3500 4 spd with granny gear .. then 85 Chevy 3500 then 1996 International 4700 444te 7spd ... now 2000 international 4700 466DT 7spd rollback .. beeen doing manual drive over good 35 yrs now .. does it fun? haha STILL LOVE IT!!

Dang man!! I drove 1967 283 Chevy C-10 w/ column shifter!! I even drove 1955 chevy w/ inline 6. Sound like we had in common!!

Catty

I learned maunel when I got my first honda car in 1979. I still use manuel to this day with newer model honda.

I was only almost 16 when I learnt how to stick shift in my mother's 1988 Dodge Omni.

i was aroiund 10 when i learned on my papaws 65 chevy c-10 shift on the tree then 72 Gmc then later on around 14 1966 Chevy c-60 it was so fun drivin that HUGE truck down on the farm... and had a 63 Internatioal with Bulldog shift

i want to try the car, 'back of the future'...

badass?

That's a Delorean brand. You can find one for like $15,000 to $20,000 used in good condition. It has a weak engine, though. Only 130 hp out of a 2.5 liter V-6.

They only made it for 2 or 3 years and the owner of the company got busted for drugs and the company closed down.

That's a Delorean brand. You can find one for like $15,000 to $20,000 used in good condition. It has a weak engine, though. Only 130 hp out of a 2.5 liter V-6.

They only made it for 2 or 3 years and the owner of the company got busted for drugs and the company closed down.

Yeah sad.. but can u imagine if he never got busted... he probably would have the best exotic cars around on now days???

I love those stainless steel body with gullwing doors.....engine is definedly weak.. I think it'll be cool to add turbo. speed up to high speed and pop the doors up to make it a plane. fly off the ground.....:giggle:

Yeah sad.. but can u imagine if he never got busted... he probably would have the best exotic cars around on now days???

I love those stainless steel body with gullwing doors.....engine is definedly weak.. I think it'll be cool to add turbo. speed up to high speed and pop the doors up to make it a plane. fly off the ground.....:giggle:

Yep, it's a really nice classic, for sure. They have the turbo kit for that car. They push it to around 200 hp or so. I sure wish Delorean is still around, though. Look, it's a flying Delorean, no that's the car from the Back to the Future!

Back