How often do you share your drinks or food with elderly people?

Whatever you find in the fridge or at the public places, you can share your bottle or food (buy if public places) to help the senior citizen. I agree with Botti on this one. I am Senior Citizen myself. I used to have Meals on Wheels if it is free (someone donate money for free meals) so that the cook can fix the foods for us who are not in the nursing homes. That was in Canada. But if a senior citizen happen to find herself or himself being thirsty or hungry for a reason not being at home like going out for a walk or lack of provisions. Yes, help them out for that. :)
Good point. An elderly person might get dehydrated while out and about. Previous generations aren't in the habit of carrying water bottles with them.

Sometimes it you have very limited resources yourself, it is very hard to share.

It's nice of you Mark.

I wonder if you could get her to a food bank or something so she could have more and not be desperate?

Thank you Botts. Yes, I DO have limited resources myself sometimes, but I've been working on saving up enough food so I can afford to share some food when it's necessary to do so. In fact, I'm considering letting her have half of something I don't use that often, and I'll eat the other half.

No I live in a house with my children and hubby. We do get together our parents and my hubs parents house. :dunno2:

by the way, I wonder if possible that you can cut down on your long siggy??

My signature? I've been working on how to cut down on that, and still be able to let people know what may be happening. There is no easy answer here.

My signature? I've been working on how to cut down on that, and still be able to let people know what may be happening. There is no easy answer here.

Just say, "I am not always here, I will respond as quickly as possible."

I understand that you like to leave a message in your an answer machine in your siggy. I hope you like botti's suggestion that would work wonderfully. :)

Thank you for your replying.

Speaking of "Meals on Wheels"....I've never got them or even applied for them...since I get around well most times...and don't feel that people should use this service if they can cook themselves!....And being on Social Security also, I budget....Had a friend in her 50's who said..."you can get all kinds of stuff...even Meals on Wheels"....and I said "what"...do I look like somebody who needs to be catered to?....And my age is no secret...I'm 67.

Gonna be independent as long as possible....there are other people who are in much worse shape than I....and younger also.

I pick grapefruit and pecans, etc., and give them away...but surely if an elderly lady needed help, of course I'd do that....just don't tread on me!...Being as independent as much as possible, no matter the age...is wise and healthy.

Speaking of "Meals on Wheels"....I've never got them or even applied for them...since I get around well most times...and don't feel that people should use this service if they can cook themselves!....And being on Social Security also, I budget....Had a friend in her 50's who said..."you can get all kinds of stuff...even Meals on Wheels"....and I said "what"...do I look like somebody who needs to be catered to?....And my age is no secret...I'm 67.

Gonna be independent as long as possible....there are other people who are in much worse shape than I....and younger also.

I pick grapefruit and pecans, etc., and give them away...but surely if an elderly lady needed help, of course I'd do that....just don't tread on me!...Being as independent as much as possible, no matter the age...is wise and healthy.

Meals on Wheels can only serve food service at noon like lunch time only. You can still make breakfast and dinner at home without the Meals on Wheels. It is nice that someone or some people who donated money for the cooks to buy ingredients and have the cooks to cook for us especially at noon. On the reserve (First Nation), there was a driver who deliver foods throughout the reserve for the Elders (Senior Citizens). They, including my husband and myself, were happy for that even if it is only once a day (I tried to remember if that was only three times a week like Monday, Wednesday and Friday). If there were no donation to the cook, then the Senior Citizens had to pay $4.00 for one meal. It is all up to the Senior Citizens if they want to pay $4.00 or not. My husband does not want to if there were no donations for the cook. We get a notice from Wellness Centre for the Elders about the donation. :)

She has that, yes, but she doesn't get a lot. Plus, her knee injury is preventing her from doing a lot :(
Maybe before you go on your shopping trips you can ask her if she needs anything picked up?

my old deaf club had about four hearing dogs come with owners the dogs had coats on saying what they were.
Marcus Barcus (or my 8 year old neighbor calls him Markie Barkie) is or was a combo therapy and hearing dog. He has his lovely vest hearing dog vest and I encourage people to pet him. He's literally going through a withdrawal since I stopped taking him to the organizations. He needs petting. Therapy Dogs Inc. allows the combo so long as he is not being represented as a therapy dog when he works for me. He's not, we're using therapy people on him :) .

Mark, people don't really need to know why you aren't replying. We at AD don't normally keep tabs on each other that way. Most of us aren't stalkers or trolls. If you don't reply to a post ASAP we assume you have a good reason. We understand that people have real lives outside of AD.

Maybe before you go on your shopping trips you can ask her if she needs anything picked up?

I do that sometimes. In fact, I paid for a drink for her, because she couldn't afford one using a $5 McDonald's card, and I was willing to pay for one for her. I do that every now and then.

Meals on Wheels can only serve food service at noon like lunch time only. You can still make breakfast and dinner at home without the Meals on Wheels. It is nice that someone or some people who donated money for the cooks to buy ingredients and have the cooks to cook for us especially at noon. On the reserve (First Nation), there was a driver who deliver foods throughout the reserve for the Elders (Senior Citizens). They, including my husband and myself, were happy for that even if it is only once a day (I tried to remember if that was only three times a week like Monday, Wednesday and Friday). If there were no donation to the cook, then the Senior Citizens had to pay $4.00 for one meal. It is all up to the Senior Citizens if they want to pay $4.00 or not. My husband does not want to if there were no donations for the cook. We get a notice from Wellness Centre for the Elders about the donation. :)
It's also a good way to check on the wellness of their clients on a regular basis. Some elderly get very little human contact.

Or, "I will respond ASAP."

(If he doesn't reply, it's obvious that he's "not always here" so that can be eliminated. :) )

Mark, people don't really need to know why you aren't replying. We at AD don't normally keep tabs on each other that way. Most of us aren't stalkers or trolls. If you don't reply to a post ASAP we assume you have a good reason. We understand that people have real lives outside of AD.

Of course. Then I should probably just delete it altogether, then.

"whaaaat"?....:giggle:..we been around each other for years....j/k

I know. I realize that I do interact with you all but it is online. My life is basically work, take care of my kids, clean the house, relax, go to bed and start all over again 5 days a week. weekends, I am usually at home doing stuff around the house, or doing errands, or getting together with my girlfriends. I barely have enough time hang out with more people than that.

Mark, people don't really need to know why you aren't replying. We at AD don't normally keep tabs on each other that way. Most of us aren't stalkers or trolls. If you don't reply to a post ASAP we assume you have a good reason. We understand that people have real lives outside of AD.[/QUOTE]

We do? I didn't realize that! Thanks for letting me know. :)

I know. I realize that I do interact with you all but it is online. My life is basically work, take care of my kids, clean the house, relax, go to bed and start all over again 5 days a week. weekends, I am usually at home doing stuff around the house, or doing errands, or getting together with my girlfriends. I barely have enough time hang out with more people than that.

You have been hanging out online like Facebook with Botti and I plus anyone who are over 60 years old. We enjoyed seeing your pictures of your family and friends plus having a wonderful time whether you were at work or at home (mostly at home). I am 68, Shell90. :D :cool2:

Back