how much ASL should I know first?

I can be very oblivious when it comes to signing in public but I can't say the same for my friends.

yeah... I hate it when people stare... I'm going more and more voice off!!! I love it and wish I would have had parents that understood my need to know ASL and be voice off... but I regress...
When I first started actually using ASL as my mode of communication, I would look at the people staring, and feel really embarrassed. but my SO told me not to worry about it, she would fix it. after a couple of time her "fixing it" I asked her what she said... she turned to them, and said "do you have a problem? do you need something?" they would turn bright red. If they continued to stare, she would say "yes she is deaf, no you can not catch it" I like yours though, "is there something i can help you with?" looks like it could be fun. :giggle:

How did your son react to it?

I am comfortable signing in public. I am comfortable with people watching me sign.

I tend to SimCom whether I am with a signer or not.

If someone seems interested in ASL, anything about it, I am always glad to talk with them. Maybe I will make a friend, or maybe it will help them, or help some Deaf person they come in contact with.

"Putting them in their place" just might create antagonism where none need be, and might create a problem for a Deaf person down the road where none need have been.

it is very rude to watch a persons conversation... people do it all the time... its like they are mesmerized or something...

I agree with this, but I am fortunate enough, that at my deaf club, they don't really mind anyone outside the conversation following along. If they want privacy, they move to a different area that is more private. We have a few people who are learning ASL and so the whole group is trying to help. I found I was actually able to follow along with one conversation recently. It was when the Casey Anthony trial was still going on and there was the testimony regarding the mother researching chloroform. Well - I was able to keep up and 7 people got stuck trying to spell chloroform and one of them asked me. They wanted to see if I was following. Well, I got it and spelled it for them and now they know I am learning. They then told me to follow any conversation except for in the back hall area.

I've never been considered either sane or stable, so I cannot guarantee with certainty what I might or might not do in a given circumstance -- and CAN guarantee that I will probably NOT act the same way to the same situation twice in a row.

But I can tell you my most likely reaction to the situation you describe.

If I saw one of the group looking in my direction I would smile, sign, "Hi", and go on my way.

Deaf people, like hearing people, frequent the same places over and over again, often at the same times. If you see somebody there once you will see them there again -- Assuming you frequent that place as well.

The next time you see them, or they see you, the timing may be more propitious for a conversation.

good advice, thank you.

it is very rude to watch a persons conversation... people do it all the time... its like they are mesmerized or something...

My dad does this... or, more appropriately, he tries to get me to do it. He'll be like, "Look, deaf people!" whenever he sees people signing to each other. I tell him that looking at a conversation is eavesdropping, but he continues to point them out. I think he wants me to start a conversation with them... never mind that my last ASL class was two years ago, and I've had no practice conversing since then, so I'd probably look like a fool. Not to mention I often feel uncomfortable conversing in my native language.

My dad does this... or, more appropriately, he tries to get me to do it. He'll be like, "Look, deaf people!" whenever he sees people signing to each other. I tell him that looking at a conversation is eavesdropping, but he continues to point them out. I think he wants me to start a conversation with them... never mind that my last ASL class was two years ago, and I've had no practice conversing since then, so I'd probably look like a fool. Not to mention I often feel uncomfortable conversing in my native language.

What is wrong with looking like a fool?

I do it all the time.

Sometimes I get paid to do it.

And it is SOooooo much fun.

Spy mode. Apparently, I could see someone communicating with others CLEARLY from miles away with my binoculars.

At our socials, we have a few people who love to sign for the students. Almost like a stand-up gig. :lol:

that is true I agree you! many socials reason lots of sign language on I Notice it!

I guess you don't need to know any ASL.

A girl asked me how she could communicate with a Deaf girl she met. (Okay to me everybody under 30 is a kid).

I told her to start by looking at her and smiling. Say, "Hi". If you know her name say it. I figure the first thing any Deaf person learns to lipread is their own name.

A few days later she thanked me for the advice.

I guess you don't need to know any ASL.

A girl asked me how she could communicate with a Deaf girl she met. (Okay to me everybody under 30 is a kid).

I told her to start by looking at her and smiling. Say, "Hi". If you know her name say it. I figure the first thing any Deaf person learns to lipread is their own name.

A few days later she thanked me for the advice.

that is true, sometimes on said hello and hi wave, sometimes on oral lip read!

deaf expert to lip reading observes expression gesture!

Back