how much ASL should I know first?

MichaelS

Reaction score
I hope this is the correct forum, still fairly new here. So I'm curious, just how much ASL should I know before signing "hi" to somebody else I see signing? I was at a show the other night and saw some folks signing but I am only halfway through an ASL 1 class so I was afraid I wouldn't be able to communicate much except "hi" or "my shirt is green, your shirt is brown". Is it considered rude to interrupt others when they're signing?

I just felt a bit intimidated, is that fear a common one? Anyway to get over it? I'm pretty sure the answer is just a light mental kick in the butt (from me to myself :p) and to sign "hi" anyways?

this is my thought on it and only mine.....

:)
look at it this way - you and some friends or a group of people are conversing in language A that you guys know specifically and someone else who you've never met comes over to you guys purely because you are using Language A. You guys are discussing politics or what you gonna do tomorrow night and New Person comes in with "Hi, I like your shoes". What would you consider that?

When I was first exposed to signing and Deaf culture I did some things I would not do today.

People signing together are folks just hanging out just like anyone else, not items to satisfy someone's fascination.

There are other possibilities to practice such as the thread here on AD <Students Looking for ASL buddies, in this thread at top>, some Deaf Coffee hours, connecting with ASL teachers at educational institutions, sign language classes at churches or through schools and recreational departments and so on.

I'm waiting for my ASL2 class to start (and need to review my ASL1 class soon). I am no way ready to converse in ASL with others.
Shortly after finishing my ASL1 class (in March), a person w/o use of his voice box signed to me asking if I were deaf because he noticed my HAs. I signed that I was learning it. Luckily (for me) he told me he could hear, just not talk, so I didn't need to remember how to do signs, but did have trouble, of course, understanding some of his signs. He only knew a small amount himself.
Just last week one of the chorus members in the musical I was working on signed Thank You to me for helping him move a set piece into place (as he and another were to move it onto the stage). The next night I asked him if he signed TY to me and he said yes, that he was a terp...and proceeded to sign a bit more. I signed "slow" and told him that I was just beginning to learn ASL.

I agree with Dogmom. I would not walk up to strangers speaking a language I'm just learning to try to "talk" to them. Just as I wouldn't walk up to strangers who speak my language. It would be rude.

Why not go to a Deaf event with a few folks from your ASL class? Give you guys a chance to practice and a chance to mingle. There is almost always one or more Deaf walking around looking to see who is there. Don't worry, most Deaf is just happy to see you learning sign language and will encourage you. If someone is rude, don't let it get to you, we all have a bad day now and then.

Wirelessly posted (droid)

Go ahead and attend a social. Practice signing I am new and I am learning ASL. That will explain if you don't understand. There will be people with varied skills there. There are usually people who only know a little ASL (like my hubby). There are students for interpreting there. Even if you don't have a complete conversation, you'll learn just by watching. If you can meet a classmate, that's great but don't just converse with her. It's challenging but you'll be fine.

good ideas thank you, I'll look for some socials that are coming up. I just missed one two days ago in another county over :(

The others had good suggestions for increasing your ASL skills.

I just wanted to say that I would never go up to someone I saw signing and interrupt their conversation out in public, and I am a fluent signer. I would not appreciate someone butting into a private conversation I was having just because they could see my communication mode.

Would you ever interrupt a conversation just because two people were speaking English and you recognized the language?

Usually not, no. The book mentioned that it's polite to sign "hi" though so other people know that there are people who might be able to understand them. "Interrupt" may not have been the best word to use. I'm not sure if the book is saying that because it's true, because it wants to encourage people to sign more, because I misunderstood what the book said, or for another reason I can't think of.

Usually not, no. The book mentioned that it's polite to sign "hi" though so other people know that there are people who might be able to understand them. "Interrupt" may not have been the best word to use. I'm not sure if the book is saying that because it's true, because it wants to encourage people to sign more, because I misunderstood what the book said, or for another reason I can't think of.

There are times where it would be nice to know someone could understand what I was saying... especially when it is a private conversation between my partner and I.

The other day, I was at a new store there were thousands of people, and my partner and I were conversing (in sign of course) she is not nearly fluent, so we weren't conversing at the speed most Deaf people do... I sign slow for her and she signs at her pace. As we were walking around, a man taps me on the shoulder... I assume he had been trying to get my attention to get around me (though my partner normally tells me these things) so i move to the side, sign "sorry". He then starts to sign to me... interrupting the conversation that my partner and I were having... yes it was nice to know someone could understand us... but he did not need to interrupt us. A bit later, another lady just signs "how you" to me, I tell her "fine" and go about my business... she then looks at me like i'm crazy because I didn't strike up a conversation... i turn to my partner and ask her (in "hushed" sign) "why do people feel I need to talk to them just because I can sign, and so can they?" she replies "its fun to sign" then a guy about 5 feet from me, in clear view of my sign starts smiling and I can see he is laughing... he tells his wife... "I think that lady did the same thing to her" his wife looks at me, says "deaf?" I say "yes" and then we meet. at this point we both (or rather 4 of us) wanted to start a conversation. We talked about how some people who are learning sign feel as if Deaf people don't get to talk to anyone, so they must help "cure" that problem and try and sign to them whenever possible, even if it is interrupting an existing conversation. We all agreed that it is nice to know when someone can understand sign language, as it is generally a pretty safe language to converse in without other people understanding, but they do not need to assume we WANT or heaven forbid, NEED them to come and talk to us... or try and interpret... (heck thats what I have my SO for!)

My suggestion... keep it simple, once you actually understand more sign, just don't spy on other peoples conversations... or make a simple slight gesture that tells us Deafies that you understand... but please... don't try and force your way into a conversation... sorry this was such a long answer to your question... but i felt examples were necessary.

Well, in the case where perhaps someone is having difficulty making themselves understood in a store or something, I would probably sign "Hi. Need help?" or if it was a group of deaf signers that looked my way in a public place, like a restaurant, I would probably just sign "hi" and then leave it up to them if they wanted to start a convo with me or not. But when it is obvious that people are engaged in conversation among themselves and are not looking around but keeping their attention focused on the other person or people, I would not interrupt. BTW...it is considered rude to watch a signed convo, too...just like eavesdropping on a hearing person's convo.

Well, in the case where perhaps someone is having difficulty making themselves understood in a store or something, I would probably sign "Hi. Need help?" or if it was a group of deaf signers that looked my way in a public place, like a restaurant, I would probably just sign "hi" and then leave it up to them if they wanted to start a convo with me or not. But when it is obvious that people are engaged in conversation among themselves and are not looking around but keeping their attention focused on the other person or people, I would not interrupt. BTW...it is considered rude to watch a signed convo, too...just like eavesdropping on a hearing person's convo.

it is very rude to watch a persons conversation... people do it all the time... its like they are mesmerized or something...

it is very rude to watch a persons conversation... people do it all the time... its like they are mesmerized or something...

I know! I find it so annoying. I used to be signing with my son, voice off, and catch people staring. I would usually look them in the eye, and say "Is there something I can help you with?":giggle:

I hope this is the correct forum, still fairly new here. So I'm curious, just how much ASL should I know before signing "hi" to somebody else I see signing? I was at a show the other night and saw some folks signing but I am only halfway through an ASL 1 class so I was afraid I wouldn't be able to communicate much except "hi" or "my shirt is green, your shirt is brown". Is it considered rude to interrupt others when they're signing?

I just felt a bit intimidated, is that fear a common one? Anyway to get over it? I'm pretty sure the answer is just a light mental kick in the butt (from me to myself :p) and to sign "hi" anyways?

I've never been considered either sane or stable, so I cannot guarantee with certainty what I might or might not do in a given circumstance -- and CAN guarantee that I will probably NOT act the same way to the same situation twice in a row.

But I can tell you my most likely reaction to the situation you describe.

If I saw one of the group looking in my direction I would smile, sign, "Hi", and go on my way.

Deaf people, like hearing people, frequent the same places over and over again, often at the same times. If you see somebody there once you will see them there again -- Assuming you frequent that place as well.

The next time you see them, or they see you, the timing may be more propitious for a conversation.

I know! I find it so annoying. I used to be signing with my son, voice off, and catch people staring. I would usually look them in the eye, and say "Is there something I can help you with?":giggle:

yeah... I hate it when people stare... I'm going more and more voice off!!! I love it and wish I would have had parents that understood my need to know ASL and be voice off... but I regress...
When I first started actually using ASL as my mode of communication, I would look at the people staring, and feel really embarrassed. but my SO told me not to worry about it, she would fix it. after a couple of time her "fixing it" I asked her what she said... she turned to them, and said "do you have a problem? do you need something?" they would turn bright red. If they continued to stare, she would say "yes she is deaf, no you can not catch it" I like yours though, "is there something i can help you with?" looks like it could be fun. :giggle:

How did your son react to it?

I remember waiting for my wife outside a mall bathroom where a couple of black women were having a very private convo in Spanish -- and I basically did the same thing by saying, "Buenos tardes, senoritas."

They blushed and moved off.

yeah... I hate it when people stare... I'm going more and more voice off!!! I love it and wish I would have had parents that understood my need to know ASL and be voice off... but I regress...
When I first started actually using ASL as my mode of communication, I would look at the people staring, and feel really embarrassed. but my SO told me not to worry about it, she would fix it. after a couple of time her "fixing it" I asked her what she said... she turned to them, and said "do you have a problem? do you need something?" they would turn bright red. If they continued to stare, she would say "yes she is deaf, no you can not catch it" I like yours though, "is there something i can help you with?" looks like it could be fun. :giggle:

How did your son react to it?

He giggled. He has the same way of dealing with things that I do now that he has gotten older.:P

I remember waiting for my wife outside a mall bathroom where a couple of black women were having a very private convo in Spanish -- and I basically did the same thing by saying, "Buenos tardes, senoritas."

They blushed and moved off.

That was very diplomatic.

At our socials, we have a few people who love to sign for the students. Almost like a stand-up gig. :lol:

Back