How many of you feel like you're in a budget crunch?

You have a Goal oriented approach to do that?
thats the tick......set goals, reach goals, repeat.......

no son. do yourself a favour and strip that "im never getting out of gov housing" from your mind.
sure you can. YES YOU CAN! and if you want it bad enough you will make it happen. cmon man. you have a long life a head of you. make it better. YOU CAN DO IT.

Then you tell me where I'm gonna find $1,400 a month for a nice apartment. The cheapest one is $475, and even that's not suitable, cause I wouldn't be able to pay other bills. My government checks won't cover that much, and even an $800 apartment isn't good enough, cause I STILL don't have enough. If I had my own business, this wouldn't be an issue.

Then you tell me where I'm gonna find $1,400 a month for a nice apartment. The cheapest one is $475, and even that's not suitable, cause I wouldn't be able to pay other bills. My government checks won't cover that much, and even an $800 apartment isn't good enough, cause I STILL don't have enough. If I had my own business, this wouldn't be an issue.

Are you searching for jobs?

Are you searching for jobs?

I should've been doing that, but the point person helping the deaf find jobs resigned her post recently, and went elsewhere, so I am stuck in limbo for now, but in the meantime, I can continue helping people with laptops and such.

I should've been doing that, but the point person helping the deaf find jobs resigned her post recently, and went elsewhere, so I am stuck in limbo for now, but in the meantime, I can continue helping people with laptops and such.

What about applying for jobs yourself? Do you need a person to help you?

No offense, but I can never understand that. Other deaf people have said the same thing about needing VR to help them find jobs. I have always found jobs doing what millions others have done. Search the classifieds, online databases, or just walking in and then apply for them. VR is nice to help but not a good idea to depend on 100%.

No offense, but I can never understand that. Other deaf people have said the same thing about needing VR to help them find jobs. I have always found jobs doing what millions others have done. Search the classifieds, online databases, or just walking in and then apply for them. VR is nice to help but not a good idea to depend on 100%.

VR does not mean to help someone to find a job. If someone finds a job and they have some doubts about this person. Person can always ask FOR VR as a second witness. VR informs the job place that this person is capable of working. Nothing else.

Wirelessly posted (ZTE X501 Phone)

shel90 said:

I am perfectly capable of job searching on my own, but due to the high risk of major injury associated with certain jobs, my options are severely limited, and I need a low-risk job, of which there are not many of. That's what the problem is.

VR can help you with things help you adjust to your disability ie hearing aids for example, and going to school so you can be self sufficient.

This had been explained to him already though. Mark seems more of a focus on the problem rather than the solution kind of guy.

Me? I don't know how somebody could be so comfy living off the government without even trying to become independent. Well, not as long as just deafness was the issue, if there are other issues well that a horse of a different color.

I wont tell you that. but i will help you think on how to achieve that. You know where you are today in your life, you know where you where, you know yourself better then anyone else if you really sincerely take a look. my post was regarding tomorrow and later suggesting through a question a goal oriented approach to achieve what you set your goals to be. you replied with what apartments now cost, and how drastically they are out of your reach.
no doubt they are.
no doubt YOU can change that.
no doubt it wont happen over night.

i do not know you, your history or age. i know your Deaf and live in the windy city. and that you may wish to go back to school.
but what i DO know. is if you start with thinking you CANT then i guarantee you...
you never ever will
start with i CAN.......run with it. you got nothin to loose, youll pick up some chics along the ride too.
for what its worth.
Hoichi-the earless

I am perfectly capable of job searching on my own, but due to the high risk of major injury associated with certain jobs, my options are severely limited, and I need a low-risk job, of which there are not many of. That's what the problem is.

you can find plenty of data entry jobs that pays approx 30 to 35k a year that is pretty much low risk job.

Or clerk, or any form of business offices.

ambrosia said:
VR can help you with things help you adjust to your disability ie hearing aids for example, and going to school so you can be self sufficient.

This had been explained to him already though. Mark seems more of a focus on the problem rather than the solution kind of guy.

Me? I don't know how somebody could be so comfy living off the government without even trying to become independent. Well, not as long as just deafness was the issue, if there are other issues well that a horse of a different color.

Hey! I AM independent. I don't live in a residential group home, and I also know my limits, too. I am not too keen on having a bad injury happen to me and end up losing my new job, which is why I need to focus on jobs I can actually do without having something bad happen. Now, I will have some help searching for a suitable job soon, so we'll see what happens.

Frisky Feline said:

you can find plenty of data entry jobs that pays approx 30 to 35k a year that is pretty much low risk job.

Or clerk, or any form of business offices.

I'm more focused on putting my technology skills to good use, which is why I'm looking to find a computer job somehow.

Hmmm now that I'm thinking about it, I don't think they'll send everyone to school, they only will if they think you're capable of passing. I went to the VR about going back to shool, I got a grant, so they ended up not helping with tuition, but they did send me like $20-40 a month to help pay for has :) anyway they make you take a test, basically fir reading comprehension and math skills before they'll send you to school. I remember I finished waaay before anyone. The lady seemed really shocked I finished do quickly and wouldn't let me leave til she checked my answers. I think they have like their own classes as well, job training they do there.

Hey! I AM independent. I don't live in a residential group home, and I also know my limits, too. I am not too keen on having a bad injury happen to me and end up losing my new job, which is why I need to focus on jobs I can actually do without having something bad happen. Now, I will have some help searching for a suitable job soon, so we'll see what happens.

You may pay your bills and do your own grocery shopping but your dependent on the government to live, your not providing for yourself. That us just another excuse, take IT classes if you want to work with computers......

You seem overly worried about everything doing you in :hmm:

Frisky Feline said:

I'm more focused on putting my technology skills to good use, which is why I'm looking to find a computer job somehow.

How long have you been unemployed?

Since 2011. The computer job I did wasn't on an official basis, so that doesn't count.

ambrosia said:

You may pay your bills and do your own grocery shopping but your dependent on the government to live, your not providing for yourself. That us just another excuse, take IT classes if you want to work with computers......

You seem overly worried about everything doing you in :hmm:

Me, worried about people doing me in? As if! I go out everyday, even 1:30 or 2 in the morning, and I have no worries, because this area I live in is one of the safest there is in Chicago-- homicides are a rarity around here.

Sorry, that's no excuse. Why should the taxpayers support you so you can avoid high risk jobs?

I would love to have more time to improve some of my skills but I have to work and raise my family so I do the job searching while off from work.

Back