How long is being single "too long"?

I was married for 7 years ( 3yrs dating so 10yrs total). Before I got married I was 18, I lived with my parents then moved in with my ex-husband, I wasn't used to being alone. Because of that I REALLYY struggled with the idea of being single in the beginning. But now I have adjusted and very much enjoy being single, plus less dishes or socks to wash. :giggle: Not to mention between working, school and a kiddo, I have no time for a man. lol I did hear a 2:1 rule that said 2yrs of marriage to 1yr of recovery, that would make me have 5yrs of recovery. I think I would like to get married again in the future but I have priorities about it now. I know my limits of expectations and also know I want to finish school and be settled in my dream job first. :)

Uh, getting into the relationship/marriage means that you won't be having an independence anymore?
That is pure BULLSHIT.

I have been living with my gf since 4 years and we are at independence of ourselves.

And also have to mention that 1/4 of my straight male friends that are over 30 years old, they have never had a relationship with woman. Nothing is wrong with that. There is no such a law that every person has requirement to have a wife or husband.

No such thing as "too long." When a person is ready and finds a suitable partner, that's the right time. If a person is content being single, that's great!

I used to think that until I met Casey. Never count yourself out, you could find that relationship your'e looking for at any moment.

i have been single for long enough but i don't care as i am enjoying singlehood :)

I've been in a relationship for 7 years and sometimes I wish I could be single again. ahhh variety...

I have been single since 1993 so that is 16 years. I am just fed up with men and wish I could find a mature guy.

If you're looking for "a mature guy," you first have to be the mature woman. Since you say you've been single since 1993, that would place you at 16 years of age. Men love women, dear, not girls. Stay in high school. ;)

you attract the very kind you 'wish' for, so it is imperative to be careful what you wish for. Often this can go unnoticed like, sub-un-consciously.

Up here

Here in Alaska a man if he has tools and is good with his hands is in demand to build women assets for them. If he gets married and then divorced she gets his pension plan if he has one. So a man is a pension plan or sometimes it is only half so she has to get another guy with a pension plan- then she has a whole pension. This is of course in addition to her own assets. I have seen this happen so many times it is not funny. So I am cautious and have learned to live without sex. I like women for friends like on here because I live in a mans
world of construction and activities with old friends. I miss having a woman but I don't miss being a trained seal for one. So yeah single and loving it.. long term.

Relationships are unique among each couple. Many people have not learned to respect that. Our culture has put on a lot of pressure for us to expect others to follow the book, even the rules of mating practices. I think if we didn't have to worry so much about what other's think, there'd be more happy relationships and less divorce.

I would have to agreed to that because I kinda learned in a hard way. :shock:

And also have to mention that 1/4 of my straight male friends that are over 30 years old, they have never had a relationship with woman. Nothing is wrong with that. There is no such a law that every person has requirement to have a wife or husband.

True, people often felt they need to get married before 31 yr old, because they think 30 yr old is too old.

I know a friend who highly preferred to be an 'Old Maid' than being married.
She simply LOVES being single. She have her reasons to be an old maid.

I've been single so looooooong. Do get a little lonesome sometimes, but not very often. I've learned how to fix things when they are broken (or at least try)! The ol' saying...."once bitten, twice as shy" applies to me. Divorsed, and scared to try again....lots of relationships, long term (2-5 years or more)...but marriage? No way....Not to mean I have anything against marriage, it's great if a couple can get along and compromise.

My adopted boys, my pets ,my family, friends & neighbors keep me super busy, along with all their "drama". I like things nice and peaceful at home. Leave the drama to others.

um I've been single for exactly 2 weeks. When I revisit the good memories, my heart sinks and I miss her very much. The memories we made are very special to me. When I don't think about it all, I feel good to be single again. It's quite tough to manage both sides of the fence. Despite my hardest efforts at moving on, I still think of her often. Sometimes I wish that time could be turned back so that things could go back to normal (like when we chatted regularly), before everything fell apart. (Now there's ignorance or lack of communication) It sucks feeling helpless when I think that I could have done something different to change the outcome or make it work.

The biggest lesson I've learned is that there are things in life that one cannot predict nor control, and when it happens, it is best to accept the inevitable and move on.

That's hard to do cause there's that little part of me that doesn't want to move on.

No matter what, I'm still gonna keep trying and do what's best for me at the moment, which is 3D animation.

I have been single for almost 4 years now. Don't get me wrong, I do enjoy my single life. Before that, I was in relationship for 15 years so now, every time I date someone, it made me feel like I was losing my independence and privacy. Why is that? I think maybe I'm terrified to fall in love again... :hmm:

been single most my life.. except 1999 to2002 most deaf woman I meet are fat cows and rest are stuck up.. I don't date hearing girls..

Honestly... I wouldn't mind being single for the rest of my life.

I came across this quote recently and it struck a chord with me:

"If you want to sacrifice the admiration of many men for the criticism of one, go ahead, get married." - K. Hepburn

I do not seek the admiration of men but I also do not yearn the criticism of one :)

Back