how is the deaf culture viewed?

Here's some views of some of the hearing people that i know (keep in mind these are NOT my views):

Deaf people are extremely prejudice against hearing people. He was married to a deaf woman and ended up getting a divorce with her.

All Deaf people have some kind of mental retardation. She also made her daughter break up with her deaf boyfriend. She also worked in a Deaf School for a few years.

You didn't need to mention these.

Here's some views of some of the hearing people that i know (keep in mind these are NOT my views):

Deaf people are extremely prejudice against hearing people. He was married to a deaf woman and ended up getting a divorce with her.

All Deaf people have some kind of mental retardation. She also made her daughter break up with her deaf boyfriend. She also worked in a Deaf School for a few years.

Wow. Sad. *smh*

Hearing people don't care about Deaf culture except as a "How cute!" type of thing. You might do better to focus on prejudice between the deaf and the hearing rather than try to write up a topic that barely even exists.

Hearing people don't wanna hire deaf people for the fact they need interpreters and might be a tad bit more expensive. How does it feel to be told by the hearing world sorry, you need to change your career because you're not hearing, thus you're a danger to your job! Then the fact that they have people who work for them that don't even know english and they're just fine, its like they're deaf hence they don't understand the langauge. How does that equate to equality, I believe there's a lot of judgements from hearing people that are particulary quite assuming of deaf and hoh people.

Anyways I think people that are deaf or hoh and grow up in the mainstream realize there is something missing in their life and they start to search, until they find the Deaf Culture. Some choose to accept it, but those that don't are always lost. In my opinion.

Wow, I noticed that with my mom. She had started asking me questions during my first break after I switched to ASL Interpreting at college. She was against me going for the major in the first place, thinking it wasn't as in demand in the world (at which point I found promptly twelve opportunities in the Duval County Public Schools within 5 districts of our then residence for terps) we lived in. She then started quoting things she heard from my "sign" teacher in high school (more on that in a separate post) about how Deaf people are too much into their "culture" (the way my teacher said it, you could practically hear the bleeding quotation marks) and not enough in the "real world." While I do believe it is theoretically possible to consider oneself superior because one is Deaf, I haven't actually met a Deaf person in the last three years who espoused that view.

I think that person is the one who has the mental block. Isn't there an "-ism" for that?

people who make commens about deaf people being in their culture too much are probably "in" their culture and way of life too. That shows that they arent open to diversity.

I remember one very odd thing.

Before college, I was homeschooled. We had a co-op program we were in where they had a signing class. Since I didn't have any assigned classes during that time, I would sit in on it and see what it was like. The teacher used Joy of Signing as a dictionary and taught it herself. However, her method left me with as much syntax and grammar ability as your average 5 yr old and the vocabulary of your average 12 year old. I could use plenty of signs, but they would come out in the absolute wrong order.

I had learned plenty of the wrong things to do, with very little of the right things. Three years later, I had been in college a year and had switched majors. My brother was graduating that summer, but I came once to the co-op and I said and signed "How are you" (ASL style, the quick HOW YOU that I use standard now), at which she said, "Oh, you use ASL". You could almost taste the derision in her voice.

Graduation was at the Gaylord Palms in Orlando, at the FPEA conference. I met with her again, at which point she went along the lines that "too many deaf (she used it in a way evidencing she was referring to ALL people with hearing loss, not just the culture) are buried in their 'culture' to see what's going on around them."

Back then I didn't know the word "Audism", but I knew automatically that she was wrong in her view of the world. I think I will go back to the co-op program when I graduate and co-opt the class myself and show them how a real ASL class is done (by then, I plan on being able to teach ASL as well as interpret), and give the principal a reason to call it an ASL class. In the process, I do plan on discrediting a lot that she taught in the original class.

people who make commens about deaf people being in their culture too much are probably "in" their culture and way of life too. That shows that they arent open to diversity.

It took a sledgehammer of reason to get my mom out of that viewpoint. That, and my A+ paper on Audism from Psychology and ASL 1 (I used the same paper in both classes, because my my Gen. Psy. teacher wanted a paper on prejudiced viewpoints, and my ASL teacher wanted a paper on an issue in the Deaf culture.), helped me turn her brain on. She does have the viewpoint that evidence and reason outdoes any cultural POV.

Back