how is the deaf culture viewed?

asl&dr.pepper

Reaction score
i know that many people have asked about the deaf culture.but the thing is that i am writing a story for my school newspaper about deaf culture and the way hearing people view it.but,i'm going to put a perspective from both deaf & a hearing person

You are going to have to ask some more specific questions.

my article

what i was trying to say is how do yall think that the deaf culture is seen by hearing people and why?

what i was trying to say is how do yall think that the deaf culture is seen by hearing people and why?

Truth be told, before I started learning ASL, I was totally ignorant of the fact that there was any such thing as deaf culture. :shrug:

Truth be told, before I started learning ASL, I was totally ignorant of the fact that there was any such thing as deaf culture. :shrug:

And that would be true of the vast majority of hearing people.
Can't view what you don't know exists. Most hearies have never had contact with a deaf individual, much less been exposed to the cultural aspect of deafness. It is not so much that they have a negative view, but that they are completely ignorant of its existence.

same here... I completely grew up in oral mainstream life and I was completely unaware of deaf culture. In fact - I was completely unaware of Gallaudet University, nearby deaf schools and a large population of deafies in NYC until last year. How in the world did I not know these thing? that I do not know... :roll:

I'm in process of learning and connecting myself to deaf culture by attending DPHH events, learning ASL, and making friends with deafies. Slow but extraordinary rewarding. :cool2:

It's just like what Jillio describes, those who doesn't know of our existence are completely ignorant which turns into a discrimination. Truth be told, Deaf Cultures are so much more than you did expect. Their knowledge, their goal, their heart and to name a few which make us deaf extraordinary for what we are. You don't get to see them everyday or around here, they are mostly are found in the deaf community in some parts of this world. Hearing people judge them the wrong way, that's how they views them. To each their own...

Last edited:
Hearing people judge them the wrong way, that's how they views them.

But if hearing people are unaware of deaf culture in the first place, how then can their view of it be judgemental? :scratch:

Perhaps I misunderstand your statement.

But if hearing people are unaware of deaf culture in the first place, how then can their view of it be judgemental? :scratch:

Perhaps I misunderstand your statement.

because of being unaware of deaf culture in the first place - they learned the misconception of deaf culture thru movies or their peers. You've seen this kind of thing plenty of times subconsciously... for ie - some lame comedy movies with stereotypical scenes about black people such as fried chicken and watermelon :roll: (I've always hated it whenever they do this)

Just a note to help with your paper:

When you are referring to the culture, it is a capital "D"; e.g. Deaf Culture. When you are referring to the medical condition of having a hearing loss, it is a small "d" as in deaf.

because of being unaware of deaf culture in the first place - they learned the misconception of deaf culture thru movies or their peers. You've seen this kind of thing plenty of times subconsciously... for ie - some lame comedy movies with stereotypical scenes about black people such as fried chicken and watermelon :roll: (I've always hated it whenever they do this)

Ah, good point. :cool2:

Here's some views of some of the hearing people that i know (keep in mind these are NOT my views):

Deaf people are extremely prejudice against hearing people. He was married to a deaf woman and ended up getting a divorce with her.

All Deaf people have some kind of mental retardation. She also made her daughter break up with her deaf boyfriend. She also worked in a Deaf School for a few years.

deleted. i misunderstood LOL

Back