How I am self-teaching myself ASL...

I'm in a class now, and using Signing Naturally - I just wanted to point out that "in 24 hours" was not that outrageous a claim.

is it teaching you anything? Is it REALLY worth your $$$??

I'm always looking for other resources, but I think I'm going to stick with my $5 CD and my FREE classes once a week at one of our local schools.
Later I may very well seek other resources.
I think, like any language, we'll get to a certain level and then hit a plateau.

This is common in a lot of learning situations

Considering you're "housebound" as you said, I recommend a website that the creator established for folks who can't get to a classroom. He's based in Sacramento and will answer questions through email. His site is American Sign Language (ASL) and it has areas on it that will give you fingerspelling practice. He also explains about Deaf Culture and ASL sentence structure. I highly recommend it.:)

Considering you're "housebound" as you said, I recommend a website that the creator established for folks who can't get to a classroom. He's based in Sacramento and will answer questions through email. His site is American Sign Language (ASL) and it has areas on it that will give you fingerspelling practice. He also explains about Deaf Culture and ASL sentence structure. I highly recommend it.:)
Hi Brenda,

Thanks for the comments. As far as I can tell, that appears to be Dr. William Vicars' website for LifePrint dot com. From your link, I'm getting a temporary maintenance page. I think we were discussing his website back on page 1 of this thread. As you stated, it is very good indeed.

Thanks! Dave

["Temporary page for maintenance. The regular pages will be back up soon.;]

For now, please instead visit Lifeprint.com or American Sign Language (ASL)Fingerspelling

------------------------------------------------------------
American Sign Language:

"ASL is a visual gestural language." That means it is a language that is expressed through the hands and face and is perceived through the eyes. It isn't just waving your hands in the air. If you furrow your eyebrows, tilt your head, glance in a certain direction, twist your body a certain way, puff your cheek, or any number of other "inflections" --you are adding or changing meaning in ASL. A "visual gestural" (eye/hand) language carries just as much information as an oral/aural (mouth/ear) language.

Is American Sign Language limited to just the United States and Canada? No. ASL is also used in varying degrees in the Philippines, Ghana, Nigeria, Chad, Burkina Faso, Gabon, Zaire, Central African Republic, Cote d'Ivoire, Mauritania, Kenya, Madagascar, Benin, Togo, Zimbabwe, Singapore, Hong Kong.

---------------------------------------------------------------

American Sign Language University ™
Lifeprint.com © William Vicars

For me, if I want to get involved in Deaf Community, I'd have to travel by bus. But I do learn from LessonTutor and ASLPro.com. Plus, take a look in my signature.

Personally, I think the ABC book is really good for learning sign, but that's probably because my class uses it. But, it's still pretty good because it goes through "lessons" and such so it seems easy.

I also agree. My first ASL classes used that book and it's pretty straight forward.

Another thing that helped is recently I got a set of Sign Enhancers Beginning ASL Videocourse videos recently from eBay and those has helped out a lot too, although a few signs taught on them have changed since the videos were made in the early 90s.

Personally, I think the ABC book is really good for learning sign, but that's probably because my class uses it. But, it's still pretty good because it goes through "lessons" and such so it seems easy.

I am really glad I found this forum and that you all have accepted me into your midst. Thanks!

Dave

Likewise, Dave! I just joined this forum yesterday, and already I've found so many wonderful, informative things. Thank you so much for your suggestion and opinions about which books to read. My main intention today was to look for people's opinions on what books are best. Let me know how things are going and coming along...continue to keep us posted!

Thanks, Brenda...I was looking for an alternative route to the classroom setting. Sounds like this may be worth a try! :)

Lilium,

Do you know the actual title of this book? (My sign language instructor used this book with me when I learned sign.) I referred this book to another ADer, but couldn't remember the exact title. I also tried doing an Internet search, but came up empty.

Back