How I am self-teaching myself ASL...

Wheelin Rev

Reaction score
I've noticed quite a few threads that ask how do I learn sign language, how long does it take, etc. FWIW, here is what I've been doing for two weeks now. I am pretty much in to a routine with this and it seems to be working well. And... I'll be the first to say that anybody learning by themselves MUST still seek out other signers to practice with, interact with and ask questions. Now in my case, after reading through past threads here and sending some private E-mails and IMs, I have decided to jump right in with American Sign Language (ASL) learning materials and not concern myself with other methods of Manually Coded English (MCE).

I am using three books that I ordered from Amazon since they were about 30% discounted over list and had free shipping. The books are:

Amazon.com: The Joy of Signing: The Illustrated Guide for Mastering Sign Language and the Manual Alphabet: Books: Lottie L. Riekehof

0882435205.01._AA240_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

Amazon.com: The American Sign Language Phrase Book: Books: Lou Fant

0809235005.01._AA240_SCLZZZZZZZ_.gif

Amazon.com: Random House Webster's American Sign Language Dictionary: Books: Elaine Costello

0679780114.01._AA240_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

The Joy of Signing gave me an excellent background of signing and an introduction to Deaf culture. Most of the diagrams are complemented with a description of the sign, the origin of the sign and the usage of the sign. I am using this book "stand-alone" while I recline in my easy-chair. :)

I am using the ASL Phrase Book and Webster's ASL Dictionary at my computer desk in conjunction with the website at

ASLPro.com Home

which has excellent videos of English words and phrases. By using all three of these resourses simultaneously, it is more like being in a classroom with the instructor. I use the ASL Phrase Book as the primary text which is well written as to how to use the book. Webster's ASL Dictionary, in addition to great descriptions of how a word is signed with many "memory jogger" statements as to how to remember the sign, has good introductions to sign language and the Deaf culture. I am constantly looking up words in the dictionary for reinforcement of learning the signs and adding notes to the ASL Phrase Book to better explain the phrases. Learning the basics of ASL grammar would not have been possible without the ASL Phrase Book. I also find it interesting to see the subtle differences in signing as presented by the various sources. The books generally do have alternate signs where appropriate.

The combination of the above, for my purposes at this time, have proven to be excellent for a self-taught curriculum for learning ASL. But like I said, I am still seeking out others in the Deaf community to help correct me in my errors and to help me to improve on my signing. Perhaps I'll try to keep this thread updated with any additional information that I learn along the way. If anybody here wants to add to the thread, by all means, feel right at home!

In closing, I may never be able to carry on a good conversation since my learning abilities are impacted by a hereditary neurological disorder. Nevertheless, since the disorder is also causing my hearing to fail, I do have a good incentive to learn what I can. I am really glad I found this forum and that you all have accepted me into your midst. Thanks!

Dave

I have the Phrase Book, I think it's a good way to get the basics of the grammar, but they don't really do alot of explaining in it, just showing examples of differant sentances and statements presented as how they would be in ASL, and in english.

I think it is great you are learning sign language. Keep up the good work. If you make you signs clear and sign them correctly you will be able to communicate with most deaf. But understand, ASL is a 3 dimensional language that can't be learned from a book, and lottie reikoff's book is full of old signs. You should invest in signing naturally 1,2 and 3 by sign press. About $70 each if you want to learn asl. Also ASLPro.com Home and ASL American Sign Language is a good start too. Learning signs from a book, sure, learning asl from a book, no. Best way to learn it is associating with a deaf person that uses ASL all the time. But I applaud you're your interest keep up the good work. Robbielyn

Thanks for the comments and encouragement. I am home-bound most of the day since I cannot drive and am a wheelchair user without a ramp to the outside world. The ramp is coming soon (I hope). In the meanwhile, I've got time to try to learn some ASL basics. There does seem to be a Deaf Coffee group nearby that I am going to try to get in touch with.

For the grammar, Webster's ASL Dictionary touches on some things and over time; I'll probably seek out other books. The following book was also suggested as a reference by one of the AD members. They did say that with this book, I would need to work with another signer to really get the most out of this spiral bound book.

Amazon.com: Basic Course in American Sign Language: Books: Tom Humphries,Carol Padden,Terrence J. O'Rourke

0932666426.01._AA240_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

Please feel free to post up other text references that you all might have in your home library. Thanks!

I'll keep y'all posted. Hope to meet some of you over time. :)

Dave

I have the Phrase Book...
Rabbit,

There is a sign on page 88 of the current printing of The ASL Phrase Book for "GOING" in the ASL signed question of "GOING WHERE" that I have not seen in any other material or video. The illustration shows index fingers of both hands pointing at each other, palms back, and then doing a multiple roll as in indicating tumbling down a hill.

Since it is totally different than the sign for "GO" in ASL Pro and anything close to go, go away, leave, etc. in the ASL Dictionary; I am trying to confirm the sign's actual existence and usage.

I reallize there are many variations of signs and not all signs could ever be saved in one place. I am just trying to learn something here as in asking a question to my instructor. Yeah, that is Rabbit and everyone else reading this post that can answer my question. :)

TIA! Dave

Rabbit,

There is a sign on page 88 of the current printing of The ASL Phrase Book for "GOING" in the ASL signed question of "GOING WHERE" that I have not seen in any other material or video. The illustration shows index fingers of both hands pointing at each other, palms back, and then doing a multiple roll as in indicating tumbling down a hill.

Since it is totally different than the sign for "GO" in ASL Pro and anything close to go, go away, leave, etc. in the ASL Dictionary; I am trying to confirm the sign's actual existence and usage.

I reallize there are many variations of signs and not all signs could ever be saved in one place. I am just trying to learn something here as in asking a question to my instructor. Yeah, that is Rabbit and everyone else reading this post that can answer my question. :)

TIA! Dave

I'm not sure where I learnt that sign, but I did know it before I'd read that book, it's the same sign as the one meaning "sign" just the fingers are rotating each other in the opposite direction (and outward direction), although I've not seen anyone use it.

I'm not sure where I learnt that sign, but I did know it before I'd read that book, it's the same sign as the one meaning "sign" just the fingers are rotating each other in the opposite direction (and outward direction), although I've not seen anyone use it.
Now here is an instructor that replies to online queries almost instantaneously.

Thanks Rabbit! :)

Dave

Now here is an instructor that replies to online queries almost instantaneously.

Thanks Rabbit! :)

Dave

I forgot to add that it doesn't MEAN "sign" but rather "going" it's probably just a lesser used sign for goin.

Rev --

I cannot recommend the book/videotape series Signing Naturally more highly:

Amazon.com: Signing Naturally Workbook and Videotext Expanded Edition : Level 1: Books: Cheri Smith,Ken Mikos,Ella Mae Lentz

The books you've listed (with the exception of ABC, which I know many people think is a great teaching course and I don't have experience with it myself) are good as references, but they are not that great at teaching the language. You will likely end up with a nice sign vocabulary, which is great, but without enough information as to how to use those signs in true ASL manner.

If you are housebound, I really think the best option is a book/video combination. ASL is notoriously difficult to learn from books alone. I used the Signing Naturally course and I think it does a great job of integrating vocabulary, grammar, and culture in, as the title says, a very natural way. Obviously getting together with that coffee group will be a terrific help as well.

Good luck!

I noticed that students seem to be able to
remember signs more from this particular book
ABC more than Signing Naturally.

Many students prefer ABC book rather than
Signing Naturally.

Thats the reason why I recommend this ABC book.
0932666426.01._AA240_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

Yes, I agree. I've used that series. I've also used the "ABC" book. Signing Naturally is much better.

oh really, Reba. I wonder why do you think that
Signing Naturally is so much better ?

Rabbit,

TIA! Dave
Each ASL verb sign has variations just as English verbs have variations of form for tense, number, and use. Many ASL verbs are also directional, and show frequency.

For example, the sign "GIVE". It of the following verb forms is signed differently. The hand shape is the same but the movement changes. (I'm showing them in English sentence structure so you can see how they are used, not how they are actually signed.)

I GIVE you this card to remember me. (shows direction and one-time action)

I GAVE you $5 yesterday. (shows direction and past tense and one-time action)

I will GIVE each of you $5 every day. (shows direction, plurality, future tense, and repeated action)

I've been GIVING you free stuff all day. (shows direction, number, constant action, tense)

There are many other combinations. Each time "GIVE" is signed differently. It's hard to desribe it in print. You can see the differences on a tape or CD much better.

Also, some noun and verb signs share the same basic sign (handshape, palm orientation, location) but the action is different, most commonly with the noun form signed twice, and the verb once. The most common example is "CHAIR" and "SIT".

Sorry, this is a very condensed and shallow explanation. :P

oh really, Reba. I wonder why do you think that
Signing Naturally is so much better ?
It covers more, and is more in depth. Also, the videos offer better receptive and context practice.

That's just my personal preference. It doesn't mean the ABC book is bad. It seems to be successful for many people.

People have different learning styles, so what works for one person might be different from what works for someone else.

It's been several years since I've used either one, so there might be even newer books/CDs out now that are superior to both of those. :dunno:

People have different learning styles, so what works for one person might be different from what works for someone else.
And that point is most crucial in any academic setting. I've got a Master's Degree in Engineering and graduated summa cum laude. Today, with the hereditary MELAS disorder that I have, repeating that feat would be impossible without a miracle. My study habits have changed dramatically just to learn a few new things. What works for me in learning ASL may be totally different than the next person that undertakes this curriculum. Also, hearing versus non-hearing plays a major role. At this point in time, I am hearing albeit HoH with a hearing aid that enables me to understand about 40% of spoken words in a quiet environment.

Thanks, Reba, for making that observation. :)

Dave

Which is why I prefer Signing Naturally because of the accompanying videos, which offers a different (also more realistic) learning experience than only reading a book.

As far as books go, though, I found

Amazon.com: The American Sign Language Handshape Dictionary: Books: Richard A. Tennant,Marianne Gluszak Brown,Valerie Nelson-Metlay

to be an excellent dictionary. It's arranged in order of handshapes so when you see a sign you don't know, you can look it up based on what it looks like. It's also excellent to drill on those signs that are very similar but have different movements, and are easily mixed up (like SECRET/PATIENT/SUFFER).

hi

Bottom line is...if you don't become involved in the Deaf culture and get "hands-on," you will not be able to effectively communicate. Regional idioms, gramatical facial cues, etc....all important and if you are not involved in the community...you'll be lost.

It covers more, and is more in depth. Also, the videos offer better receptive and context practice.

That's just my personal preference. It doesn't mean the ABC book is bad. It seems to be successful for many people.

It's been several years since I've used either one, so there might be even newer books/CDs out now that are superior to both of those. :dunno:

Yes, this does make sense That's true that
videos usually are more helpful rather than
just a photo and/or a drawing. Movements
are important.

As far as books go, though, I found

Amazon.com: The American Sign Language Handshape Dictionary: Books: Richard A. Tennant,Marianne Gluszak Brown,Valerie Nelson-Metlay

to be an excellent dictionary. It's arranged in order of handshapes so when you see a sign you don't know, you can look it up based on what it looks like. It's also excellent to drill on those signs that are very similar but have different movements, and are easily mixed up (like SECRET/PATIENT/SUFFER).
Yes, I have that book; it's very "handy" ( :D ).

Back