How do you write from ASL to english grammer?

Monaila

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I can't sleep from my bed, but it's about 2 hours. No matter, I ask you on question. How you write from ASL to English grammer?

I grew up to write ASL and ESL and it's both to me. By the way, I'm centered between ASL and ESL all my life. My English 101 and 102 class graded straight "C", but Literature English graded final "B". That's odd. I know my writing grammar is very struggle to me. How I read the book, write the journal, or things?

Thank you for advance advice,

Christy

That's one of the most common problems with education with deaf students. Some schools go through a problems with students who were raised through ASL. I'm not saying that people should not use ASL, but I would say that ASL should be used as a means of communication... not learning. ESL is better for educational purposes. The three schools that I grew up in taught ESL (or SEE... signing exact english) so a very high percentage of deaf students graduated at their grade level. Those who graduated at a lower grade level were mostly transfer students from school who taught ASL. There were three students who were together through all 3 schools... 1 gal, 1 guy, and I. All three of us graduated and went to college like every "normal kid". The rest of the other deaf students who went through school with us either transfered in or out during our time through school. They were taught ASL at other schools and graduated with an education level 3 to 5 grade levels behind.

To answer your question, one can't really write ASL to ESL unless you know both. If you can write good ESL, then you can easily translate ASL to ESL.

Yeah, it's really problems. I hate my teacher in middle school because she was very mean and pushed me to force ASL. I had already ESL from the elementary school. However, Mrs.Cooper force ASL to me because I lost my english writing. I still writing with ASL, but be upset. My mind is mess up with mixing ASL and ESL both. That's why.

Christy

Monaila said:
Yeah, it's really problems. I hate my teacher in middle school because she was very mean and pushed me to force ASL. I had already ESL from the elementary school. However, Mrs.Cooper force ASL to me because I lost my english writing. I still writing with ASL, but be upset. My mind is mess up with mixing ASL and ESL both. That's why.

Christy

Look at me. I was using SEE before I learn ASL. I write mixed grammer. If you have better memory from SEE (english) then you should have good common of sense with ASL with english grammer. I am not good at english and tried to be better for everyone.

I agree with Mizzdeaf. I'm overwhelm about that. My mind is very confused with english/ASL grammer. However, I not catch it and not understand it.
By the way, my feeling is very stress to me.
Christy

Sometimes, it helps to type more often and try being as specific, detailed, and using the best grammar as possible. The more you write, the better your grammar skills will become. That's one of the reasons why I type papers really well. I've been typing papers for many years. I probably type an average of 10 papers or more every year. So far, my average grade for each paper is A! :thumb:

It does also help if you try doing it in MS Word. MS Word has grammar-check in it so you can type a paper of any kind and let MS Word check your grammar for you. If it does fix some of your grammar, read why it's an error and learn from it. The more you do that, the fewer grammar errors you will develop. It also helps to have your work proofread by friends, while they explain your errors as well.

That's very true, vampryox

I proofread alot problems. It's How, why, what, who, where, and when. However, there is only "HOW?" It's hard one.

For example, how's your day? How's your life going on? How's about your sister doing? That's easy one.

Another example, How do the sun prevent from the tree? Some hearing people do not understand me. I think it's make not a sense.

That's different question.

Christy

Monaila said:

I proofread alot problems. It's How, why, what, who, where, and when. However, there is only "HOW?" It's hard one.

For example, how's your day? How's your life going on? How's about your sister doing? That's easy one.

Another example, How do the sun prevent from the tree? Some hearing people do not understand me. I think it's make not a sense.

Christy
I can see why people don't understand what you're saying. When you say, "How's your day?" That's correct. However, "How do the sun prevent from the tree?" doesn't make sense. I know what you're trying to say. The problem is that your sentence is a bit incomplete. You're asking how the tree protects ??? from the sun?" What's missing is what the tree is protecting. For instance, I would say this... "How does the tree protect people from the sun?" Of course, your typical answer would be... "The tree creates a shade, which is actually the blocked rays from the sun." Does that help?

Monaila said:

Christy
I forgot to add. It's the structure of the sentence that's making it confusing.

That's right! It is my problem with proofreading. That's structure sentence.

Christy

Monaila said:
That's right! It is my problem with proofreading. That's structure sentence.

Christy
That's what friends are for. Sometimes, it helps to have friends proofread your work... that way, you both can get a better understanding of what you're trying to say.

Yeah, I had too many on the structure sentence in my confused mind.

Christy

ive read all kinds of english structures -- be it ASL written, ESL written or proper english -- my grammatical english seems to be ok -- Vampy is right, if u write often enuf ur grammar will improve but i would like to add another thing -- READ alot too! any kind of genre u are interested in -- be it horror, suspense, mystery, romance or whatever -- it also helps with ur grammatical structures too cuz in the books they have proper english structures and etc :D i was a BIG TIME bookworm when i was a kid and that helped with my understanding of english -- i just have never quite understood the RULES that are associated with the english language :roll: and yet my written english seems to be ok according to teachers, friends, family, etc etc go figure LOL

I dont think it is relevant whether you did use ASL or ESL/SEE, your writing skills are based on your capacity of learning a primary language in your early years. Many deaf children missed out a vital amount of time to learn a language because their deafness have gone undetected until age 2... two years of language stimulation have been lost on a deaf child.
They were then brushed off to schools where the teachers tried to speed up their brain to develop a language in areas that haven't 'exercised' for two years.

Today it is entirely different because the deafness may be diagnosed the minute a child born. It doesn't matter what language you teach the child, as long THEY are learning a language from birth. It is vital to have them being exposed to different language within first seven years so they could learn how to understand how a language could be translated into another... (more vocabulary to learn... it could be "cat" in english and "kissa" in Finnish, but the point of my argument is that the amount of vocabulary you give a child, the more power they could think with vocabulary in varying language to understand and voice their thoughts and emotions without being opressed). Without this, a child's brain is hardened with a single language and cannot fathom the concept of the possibilties to retell their English thoughts/emotions in a different language with new vocabularies. This ability to understand grammar rules and vocabularies of another language will enable the children to take on a new language at any time in one's lifetime.
So the answer lies in why the deaf population have a high precentage of poor grammar especially in English is because they were never able to have their own native language in their early years while they are parallelly learn a new language- let it be English, Spanish, or Swedish.

I think if deaf people learn Spanish, since their grammar rules are very close to ASL, this may alleviate some stresses on their brain to learn a new language. Their learning of Spanish may convey them to accept new information regarding English's grammar rules et cetera, IMHO.

[This is from a deaf child with an education that is being taught in ASL and SEE with a constant exposure of English grammar throughout elementary years]

Many hearing children don't learn the rules of English until they enter middle school. So if those who are deaf that use ASL are being taught the English rules in elementary school, they may take the equilvalent courses in middle school that are "normal" for their age rather than taking remedial english courses that just pull them back for years and handicap their future learning if those deaf children give up at learning English.

Ah, I will cut myself off. I have a lot of issues regarding this because this is something close to my personal experiences with my education and others' education and who have given up because they think it is too hard when it is not all that hard and it is not their fault-- English is the difficult language in the world to understand with Chinese trailing behind. Imagine that.

Last edited:
I learned from Spanish to English. No sign language, but I found that the way to be better in English is to push yourself a little harder. Use higher vocabularies and look over grammar proofs to see how they flow to make good English.

I have become better with commas in college. I am not perfect, but I now understand more where commas usually go in a sentence.

I suggest you find someone that will work with you for about a year. You read a book and write summaries on them, then have them correct them WITH you, so you can see why and have them EXPLAIN to you.

The lady from my college disability office told me that she had a deaf girl who wrote at a 3rd grade level, and she was very motivatated to practice and came up to par in a year! That's impressive, and it should tell you that nothing is impossible.

Read a lot, write a lot, read over your writings and try to perfect it. I can tell you that in high school I usually had C's or B's on my writings. When I got to college, I got A's and some B's. Always go to the writing labs if they offer one. Always take grammar classes. I also found a few teachers or professors who are very rough with grading, so sometimes that can be the case in lower grades than expected.

Don't be too hard on yourself and expect to write like an author because there are some people hearing or not who are just not perfect with writing and still need some help.

Good luck! Don't give up.

Also, have a dictionary handy. Try one that is simple and not a lot of explanation or one that says: Police:n. Police. You know? The same definitions? That's stupid.

It took me awhile before I understood the dictionary, but the more you use it--someday it'll click in.

It also helps to watch a lot of television or movies! :thumb: Actually, that's up to you. I admit that I watched a lot of movies and television while I was growing up. I even watched 10 movies a week when I worked at Blockbuster Video. It helped me think faster and follow grammar structure faster than most people. The other thing I noticed is that your reading speed improves when you follow caption quickly. :)

Yes. Also, chatting online with someone who doesn't have much grammar problems.

I also think it helps to start with children's books then move up to then young adults (teenagers), then to adult books.

Last edited:
Thank you kitty! Now, I understand it.

I use the books and write a crossword puzzle. It helps to build on my mind. :)

Christy

Back