How do you like the label 'Special Ed's student?

Well, my teachers calling me a special ed child in front of my classmates really did not help. I dont know why they did that.

when I was Jr. high school if a student in the mainstream class did something that was consider dumb their teacher would call the kid a 'reject student.'
This is what you were called if you were in a 'special ed class,', I was a "reject student!' And it really SUCK to be called this . I can't stand any kind of label being put on a child. And 'special ed' suck too.

Wow..calling a child a "reject" student is horrible.

My brother was called an oral failure for not developing speech skills.

Terrible

people thinking like you are the problem...

I am agree with you, kids that were called 'retarded' for years protested against that horrible label. It hard enought being a kid and today it a lot harder today as kids are getting bullied on line too and having label like 'special ed' on top of that does not help a child self esteem.

Congress just recently passed the legislation to ban the word "mental retardation" from federal laws

It's not the label that causes bullying, it is the fact that kids pick on kids that are different. Do you really think that if you were deaf or had a learning disability or have autism, but didn't have an IEP things would have been peachy?

I am not talking only about getting bullied by kids , I am talking about how your are treated by your teachers and school when you're in a special ed class. I was in a special ed class and there where kids with all kind learning disability,. I my special ed class you had one teachers for all yours subjects
and you stayed in the same room all day . The teachers were burned out and most of them cruel to kids that were really having a hard time. In other words
if you were in a 'special ed class' in my school you were treated like a second class citizen! You got shity teachers and works that was boring as hell and treated like you to not worth the teacher time of day.

Or Learning Disability because you are deaf and you don't have a learning disability. They just wanted to put me in that class because of no deaf program and they felt I won't fail English that way. Yes, they actually told me that I was in a risk of failing English in the middle of my 7th grade and they wanted to save me from failing. (the truth was that I didn't do my homeworks and and the 7th grade teacher mumbles alot.. I don't think she wanted me in her class at all) They told me that I had to go rather wanted it or not because I'm deaf and I'm in the special education program.

You enter their class and the word "LEARNING DISABILITY CLASS" is written loud and bold. Can't they just call it English class? or Math class?

How horible to had see "LEARNING DISABILITY CLASS" everyday! what a jerk
the teacher was, it was too bad you could not had written after that . And The teacher is a S O B !

Why on earth do you assume I didn't have special education services as a child?

Without special education laws and IEP's all deaf students would be required to be mainstreamed with out any services. Is that a better option?

Yes there is a better option, Do NOT put the 'label special ed' on the student forehead! And do not call a student a 'special ed student ' in front of other kids . Teachers and parents need to take a child feelings into consideration, and realize they're setting a kid to being bullied if they keep calling that kid a
'special ed student . I am not saying a student should not get more help in school , I am saying a student should NOT HAVE TO PAY A PRICE FOR NEEDING MORE HELP!! Why do you find that so hard to understand.
I had posted I was told by my high school principal that I should drop out of high school in my second year and go wash toilet bowel as I was wasting my
teacher time and taxpayers money!! I was the only student in my 'special ed class that went to high school , the rest of my classmates drop out in Jr high
as they felt like they did where not welcome in school. My high school
principal was not happy about me staying in as the school did all they could to made sure I would hate it. I never heard of any other student being told to drop out of high school and go clean shity toilet bowels!! I should not had been treated this and no child should be treated that way because they were in 'special ed class or a mainstream class.

Yes there is a better option, Do NOT put the 'label special ed' on the student forehead! And do not call a student a 'special ed student ' in front of other kids . Teachers and parents need to take a child feelings into consideration, and realize they're setting a kid to being bullied if they keep calling that kid a
'special ed student . I am not saying a student should not get more help in school , I am saying a student should NOT HAVE TO PAY A PRICE FOR NEEDING MORE HELP!! Why do you find that so hard to understand.
I had posted I was told by my high school principal that I should drop out of high school in my second year and go wash toilet bowel as I was wasting my
teacher time and taxpayers money!! I was the only student in my 'special ed class that went to high school , the rest of my classmates drop out in Jr high
as they felt like they did where not welcome in school. My high school
principal was not happy about me staying in as the school did all they could to made sure I would hate it. I never heard of any other student being told to drop out of high school and go clean shity toilet bowels!! I should not had been treated this and no child should be treated that way because they were in 'special ed class or a mainstream class.

I think FJ misunderstood the point of your thread but at the end, she does want our input on how to change this problem. Just a heads up. :)

Maybe "Individual Education"?

Still sticky...it singles out the child.

It is a better term but knowing how kids are, they will figure it out. Gotta think of something that doesnt single out children recieving IEPs.

Absolutely not. I was mainstreamed all my years and considered a Special Ed kid. I was bullied and mocked all my school years. Too many of us on this forum have said the same. That comes from having a Special Ed label. If you didn't experience that, then please don't say "labels shmable." It is not as simple as you just made it out to be.
sorry, no offense intended and I am sorry that you were treated that way. It may have had more to do with other factors besides the label. My comment and questions still stand. No matter what someone will be offended. What would you consider an appropriate term or label?

people thinking like you are the problem...
I seriously doubt that. I am one of the most empathetic and compassionate people you will ever know. I am just being realistic when I say you willl never please everyone. In my opinion, someone will always be offended and those that treat others badly will do so no matter what the "label" is. They do it out of ignorance or a fear of differences or maybe they were not brought up right. Whatever the reason I doubt that changing a label will change their behaviour.

And I have asked several times but yet no answer. What would anyone here consider an appropriate label?

Anyone?

I seriously doubt that. I am one of the most empathetic and compassionate people you will ever know. I am just being realistic when I say you willl never please everyone. In my opinion, someone will always be offended and those that treat others badly will do so no matter what the "label" is. They do it out of ignorance or a fear of differences or maybe they were not brought up right. Whatever the reason I doubt that changing a label will change their behaviour.

And I have asked several times but yet no answer. What would anyone here consider an appropriate label?

Anyone?

But to you "Labels schmacky" "who cares about a label" There is a genuine issue here and you're dismissing it, just like all the teachers in the mainstream environment.

But to you "Labels schmacky" "who cares about a label" There is a genuine issue here and you're dismissing it, just like all the teachers in the mainstream environment.
No I am not dismissing it. I was just trying to illustrate a couple of points in that no matter what you call it, someone will be offended and no matter what you call it, there will be those that treat others badly. Given the lable does cause some mis-perceptions I again ask, what would be an appropriate label? How would PFH fix the problem?

Alternative Learning.

I dont like it...I remember when I was in high school when kids got into trouble or expelled, they went to alternate schools. We identified that label as people who were trouble makers.

I dont like it...I remember when I was in high school when kids got into trouble or expelled, they went to alternate schools. We identified that label as people who were trouble makers.
I rest my case!!

How about something that has to do with the learning method they are teaching... Like Visual English class for visual learners.

How about something that has to do with the learning method they are teaching... Like Visual English class for visual learners.

Or just call it classes liek the others. Just have no special names for them.

Just keep the IEPs for the files.

Back